Could you please go through a 1 million word 30 000 entry xbench file in 2 hours?
Thread poster: Halvor Halvorsen
Halvor Halvorsen
Halvor Halvorsen
Norway
Local time: 02:04
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 13, 2015

I just got an Asian client who shall remain unnamed. We agreed to do a manual translation with approximately 67K words, 39K of which were context matches. I was told to leave those alone, and accepted no pay for them, because they required no work. I was also told "the client is concerned with consistency issues".

I then get an xbench-file (consistency checking program) back with 30.000 entries and almost 1 million words. I'm asked to complete the xbench entries for the whole manual
... See more
I just got an Asian client who shall remain unnamed. We agreed to do a manual translation with approximately 67K words, 39K of which were context matches. I was told to leave those alone, and accepted no pay for them, because they required no work. I was also told "the client is concerned with consistency issues".

I then get an xbench-file (consistency checking program) back with 30.000 entries and almost 1 million words. I'm asked to complete the xbench entries for the whole manual, including the unpaid locked context match part of it, for 2 hours pay, because "the client is concerned with consistency issues".

I haven't experienced anything like this before, and I'm a bit baffled at the moment, so I'm hoping for some input from you on the situation. How would you have handled it?

[Edited at 2015-11-13 11:22 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:04
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
"I regret that I am unable to do that" Nov 13, 2015

Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
I'm asked to complete the xbench entries for the whole manual, including the unpaid locked context match part of it, for 2 hours pay, because "the client is concerned with consistency issues".

"I would am happy to check the 28K-word portion of the document that I translated. I estimate that it will take me XXX hours, for which I would charge YYY per hour. Unfortunately I do not have the resources to check consistency over the remainder of the document, which contains some 970K words. May I suggest the client engage a proofreader for this task."

The agency just wants to get free work out of you. This goes far beyond any obligation you may have incurred through completing the translation. Don't let them coerce you.

Regards
Dan

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:04
German to Turkish
+ ...
Unless there is a mistake, Nov 13, 2015

a polite "No, thanks" would do it.

Mistake, here, means a real mistake, such as having sent the wrong file etc.
Plus, I understand the idea of CMs and all this stuff, but I don't understand why a translator should even have a look at them without any payment. In such cases, I ask the client to provide me with locked segments so that I do not have anything to do with them.

Francisco Vare
Francisco Vare
Poland
Polish to Spanish
+ ...
I would do it, BUT... Nov 13, 2015

...I would ask for payment according for the time spent on it.

Or you can just "apologize" and tell them you are uncapable of doing such a task in that amount of time.

This is not only crazy, but also a way to get work done for free. Don't do it!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:04
English to Thai
+ ...
I also do this Nov 13, 2015

Elif Baykara wrote:

a polite "No, thanks" would do it.

Mistake, here, means a real mistake, such as having sent the wrong file etc.
Plus, I understand the idea of CMs and all this stuff, but I don't understand why a translator should even have a look at them without any payment. In such cases, I ask the client to provide me with locked segments so that I do not have anything to do with them.

I usually got such ridiculous requests and always said "no, thanks."
The client never respects our professional standards.

Soonthon L.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Of course!! Nov 13, 2015

"I don't even need two hours! I'll have it back to you within twenty minutes. Or do you need it sooner?"

Robin Joensuu
Robin Joensuu  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Charge them for your time Nov 13, 2015

The agency just wants to get free work out of you. This goes far beyond any obligation you may have incurred through completing the translation. Don't let them coerce you.

I have experienced similar XBench requests, if not as large. The best way to both be polite to the project managers (even if I don't think they deserve it at all times), and still say no is simply to say:

"Of course, but as you know I charge XX per hour. Please confirm and I will let you know how long time it took and invoice accordingly."

It works every time.

gatewylanguages
gatewylanguages
United States
Local time: 17:04
Yesss...lol Nov 14, 2015

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

"I don't even need two hours! I'll have it back to you within twenty minutes. Or do you need it sooner?"

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:04
English to Indonesian
+ ...
It is impossible Nov 14, 2015

Halvor Halvorsen wrote:

I then get an xbench-file (consistency checking program) back with 30.000 entries and almost 1 million words. I'm asked to complete the xbench entries for the whole manual, including the unpaid locked context match part of it, for 2 hours pay, because "the client is concerned with consistency issues".

I haven't experienced anything like this before, and I'm a bit baffled at the moment, so I'm hoping for some input from you on the situation. How would you have handled it?

[Edited at 2015-11-13 11:22 GMT]

It is impossible project.

If your client asked me that, I would need 10 seconds to read email and immediately say "No".

[Edited at 2015-11-14 08:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could you please go through a 1 million word 30 000 entry xbench file in 2 hours?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »