Any references about translation for language teaching and app localization?
Thread poster: alex_esco
Jan 13, 2016

Hello, everyone,

I'm currently translating a Duolingo-like app called ChineseSkill (Android app) into Spanish. I can't find any reference on the web (only an article in a Spanish blog algomasquetraducir on How to translate apps), and I would need them for my final career task, mainly about this:

-how to translate sentences that are going to teach learners a language from scratc
... See more
Hello, everyone,

I'm currently translating a Duolingo-like app called ChineseSkill (Android app) into Spanish. I can't find any reference on the web (only an article in a Spanish blog algomasquetraducir on How to translate apps), and I would need them for my final career task, mainly about this:

-how to translate sentences that are going to teach learners a language from scratch (using a more literal translation I guess. That's what I'm usually doing)... or more general: how to translate language courses... Didactic translations...

-how usually (Android) apps are translated, and even better those apps that receive alternative translations from app users (both Duolingo and ChineseSkill have a report button to add a sentence that should be accepted as correct).

If you know articles, something on how Duolingo courses are created/adapted/translated that would be great too. I think I won't have many references as a basis for this task. I might have to use my own experience, for example out of the facts I am translating/adapting the Esperanto course on Duolingo from the English Esperanto tree here, I know the differences between both translation interfaces/systems, etc.

I just would like to find external references to improve the theoretical part of my task (I wouldn't call it a thesis). Thank you!

Alejandro
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:22
English to Thai
+ ...
Duolingo Jan 14, 2016

Homsavant wrote:

If you know articles, something on how Duolingo courses are created/adapted/translated that would be great too. I think I won't have many references as a basis for this task. I might have to use my own experience, for example out of the facts I am translating/adapting the Esperanto course on Duolingo from the English Esperanto tree here, I know the differences between both translation interfaces/systems, etc.

Alejandro

I am using Duolingo to review my some language abilities. The key to translation is the features of the target language your are going to translate e.g. comparative grammatical difference of Chinese and Spanish. This will help learners to use your App. more efficiently. Comments on each language in Duolingo are good references since they reflect complains and learning points as well as contextual conflicts of the languages they are earning. I usually met with some bad translations in Duolingo due to ignorance of how to study the foreign languages.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any references about translation for language teaching and app localization?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »