Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:16
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Silence Jan 22, 2016

Silence really is golden, in today's world - if you live in a city.

I love just sitting listening to the quiet noise outside of light traffic, the occasional aeroplane, or when the windows are open the sound of children playing or the birds singing. Who needs music?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:16
French to English
whatever Jan 22, 2016

I put music on when doing repetitive stuff like catalogues where I'm simply searching and replacing and confirming full matches.

I know the vocab off pat and can practically do them in my sleep, so I listen to whatever I'm interested in. Bowie non-stop since 10/01 of course, before that I was on a Motown roll. But I'll only listen to stuff I know already. If I want to check out something new, I'll do it when I'm off duty.

I must say I much prefer to do a translation th
... See more
I put music on when doing repetitive stuff like catalogues where I'm simply searching and replacing and confirming full matches.

I know the vocab off pat and can practically do them in my sleep, so I listen to whatever I'm interested in. Bowie non-stop since 10/01 of course, before that I was on a Motown roll. But I'll only listen to stuff I know already. If I want to check out something new, I'll do it when I'm off duty.

I must say I much prefer to do a translation that engages my brain to the point that I couldn't possibly listen to music at the same time.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Birdsong can be rubbish Jan 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
or the birds singing. Who needs music?

No, not the feted Sebastian Faulks novel, but the hundreds of little feathered fiends who wake me up at 4am in the late spring and early summer with a mighty dawn chorus a few yards from my head.

I could cheerfully throttle them all at such times.

Dan

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No music! Jan 22, 2016

Much like Tom in London, I can't concentrate on other things when there's music around, as I'd always get involved in the music. DJHartmann's example of Bach Preludes and Fugues would be one of the worst examples, as I'd be playing along in my mind all the time.

For most people today, listening to music is a passive form of consumption, and they have no concept of listening to music as something you can or need to actively do. This does not necessarily mean intellectual refle
... See more
Much like Tom in London, I can't concentrate on other things when there's music around, as I'd always get involved in the music. DJHartmann's example of Bach Preludes and Fugues would be one of the worst examples, as I'd be playing along in my mind all the time.

For most people today, listening to music is a passive form of consumption, and they have no concept of listening to music as something you can or need to actively do. This does not necessarily mean intellectual reflection of what you're hearing. The emotional and bodily involvement I experience while listening to music is usually enough to make it impossible for me to concentrate on other things.

So I think you can listen to music while translating, as long as you belong to the group of people I described above, who are able to "consume" music in a passive way as opposed to actively listen and feel.

Whether this factually does any good to their productivity is another question, though.

Listening or producing music while doing dull and/or physical work is a different thing, though. It can help pass the time, provide a rhythm for repetitive physical tasks and even synchronize work within a group of people.
Collapse

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Singing Translator Jan 22, 2016

"Singing is a way of getting an onerous or dull job done. But is there a Singing Translator? I don't think you could translate and sing at the same time."

I sang professionally for over twenty years in opera, then chucked it all to have a real life before I got too old to enjoy it. I cannot listen to someone sing while I am doing anything, much less translate to it. For me, acoustic guitar or early music will work – something that doesn't distract me, and above all it's g
... See more
"Singing is a way of getting an onerous or dull job done. But is there a Singing Translator? I don't think you could translate and sing at the same time."

I sang professionally for over twenty years in opera, then chucked it all to have a real life before I got too old to enjoy it. I cannot listen to someone sing while I am doing anything, much less translate to it. For me, acoustic guitar or early music will work – something that doesn't distract me, and above all it's got to be turned way down while I'm working. My spouse has a thing for Captain Beefheart at the moment but I won't let him put it on while I'm translating.
Collapse

Janet Ross Snyder
Janet Ross Snyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:16
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
wandering off track Jan 22, 2016

Normally I listen to the CBC news and information shows while translating. It makes me feel connected with the outside world. I can't do that when I'm proofreading, though, because of the language interference, so I switch to New Age music or the Nature/music channel on my television cable.
One time a song came on that I had learned to play when I was 9 or 10 years old. I went over to the piano to play it for my husband, to show him I wasn't making up stories. But when I went back to the
... See more
Normally I listen to the CBC news and information shows while translating. It makes me feel connected with the outside world. I can't do that when I'm proofreading, though, because of the language interference, so I switch to New Age music or the Nature/music channel on my television cable.
One time a song came on that I had learned to play when I was 9 or 10 years old. I went over to the piano to play it for my husband, to show him I wasn't making up stories. But when I went back to the computer keyboard, I found I couldn't quite remember where the keys were. It seems I had gotten a little too much in tune with my 10-year-old brain, which hadn't learned to type yet. Now when that song comes on, I quickly change the channel to keep my brain from slipping back to its younger state.
Collapse

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Silence Jan 22, 2016

apart from the occasional typing of my hubby across the table or the cats who walk in and out, one of which wants to assert his presence when he comes through the door or cat flap...

For the rest, I can't have meaningful noise (as in music or talking) when I'm working. i tried it once and it was a complete disaster. Though I can abide traffic and things, but not screaming children. The ones next door drive me mad when they come home from school in the spring/summer...

C
... See more
apart from the occasional typing of my hubby across the table or the cats who walk in and out, one of which wants to assert his presence when he comes through the door or cat flap...

For the rest, I can't have meaningful noise (as in music or talking) when I'm working. i tried it once and it was a complete disaster. Though I can abide traffic and things, but not screaming children. The ones next door drive me mad when they come home from school in the spring/summer...

Come to think of it, I also read best when there is complete silence.
Collapse

Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Soundtracks from Videogames Jan 23, 2016

There are plenty of soundtracks on Youtube (from very old SNES games to modern movie like games with huge orchestras), and I think they are perfect for the work on a PC. They have no lyrics so I can't get distraced, and it can be a very atmospheric music.
Moreover, I always get the feeling of playing video games during work (a hobby which I gave up several years ago due to lack of time), and it's getting really interesting when I am translating for video game companies:)

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I love music Jan 23, 2016

Rock music for me, brings a lot of rythm to my translations

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same song over and over and over Jan 24, 2016

Listening to the same song over and over helps me concentrate, the music doesn't distract my mind at all because I already know it by heart. It's a little strange, but works for me! Of course I have to find a new song every few weeks to avoid boredom... at the moment the song is "new year's blues" by Lazer Lloyd.

Vesa Korhonen
Vesa Korhonen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:16
English to Finnish
+ ...
Instrumental Jan 24, 2016

While working, I used to listen Jean-Michel Jarre a lot, until I discovered Ludovico Einaudi. Now there's no return...

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Tsut! Jan 24, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

... the hundreds of little feathered fiends who wake me up at 4am in the late spring and early summer with a mighty dawn chorus a few yards from my head.

Dan

Hey, that's blasphemy! Close the window or get double/triple glazing and/or earplugs

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
I understand Jan 25, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

... the hundreds of little feathered fiends who wake me up at 4am in the late spring and early summer with a mighty dawn chorus a few yards from my head.

Dan

I had many, many sparrows living, mating, fighting and eating the insulation under my roof for a long time. And they didn't sing well, either. Really horrible little things!

I think I use music as a kind of "emotional filter" - that's why I like heavy, negative and sometimes heavily depressive stuff. Works like a dream catcher: All drama, feelings, desires for excitement are passed to the background, and my head stays free and ready to work efficiently even on the most dry technical texts.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh dear Jan 25, 2016

Texte Style wrote:

Bowie non-stop since 10/01 of course,

Why of course? I never could stand his effete posing.

(runs and hides)

MurielG
MurielG
France
English to French
Yes! Jan 26, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeujeOsHn0g&list=PLDE5A91029A8AB73E&index=69

It may also help colleagues when translating unknown technical concepts.
A prolonged listening to the mentioned sequence in your office background therefore can prevent unnecessary KudoZ questions in almost all fields of engineering, physics, etc.

[Edited at 2016-01-22 07:44 GMT]

I like Star Trek atmospheres as well, and I also recommend Mass Effect ambient noise (Mass Effect is a video game developped by Bioware) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2EdjAL4n3M

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your Soundtrack to Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »