Thread poster: Françoise LE MEUR
Françoise LE MEUR
Françoise LE MEUR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:55
English to French
+ ...
Feb 29, 2016

How would you translate amounts written in XEU monetary symbol of ECU ancester of EURO before January 1999 ?

knowing I don't know at which exact date the english text has been written . The target text is French but the issue is on converting or not the amounts from XEU to EUR

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
No issue Feb 29, 2016

Why shoud you convert a XEU amount? The original is in XEU, there is no reason to try a fictive adaptation.

Regards

Françoise LE MEUR
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
conversion amount in XEU ecu Feb 29, 2016

thank you

yes maybe it was a silly question: So I leave the orignal amount( say 1000 ecu) and also the name of the currency ECU ?
don't I have to add an explanation in brackets to say that ecu (symbol XEU) became EUR
since 1/1/1999 with a 1 to 1 parity ?
thanks in advance

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Up to you Feb 29, 2016

LEMEON a écrit:

don't I have to add an explanation in brackets to say that ecu (symbol XEU) became EUR

For sure you could if you feel it necessary in the context, but it would be just a reference and not an estimation of the real amount nowadays...

Combien fait trois fois rien et quelle est la valeur de trois francs six sous ?

Have a nice day!

Françoise LE MEUR
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
amounts in ECU Feb 29, 2016

Ok thank you ! same to you

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:55
German to English
Just leave it Feb 29, 2016

LEMEON wrote:

How would you translate amounts written in XEU monetary symbol of ECU ancester of EURO before January 1999 ?

knowing I don't know at which exact date the english text has been written . The target text is French but the issue is on converting or not the amounts from XEU to EUR

No, you wouldn't change it, any more than you would change amounts expressed in French francs or DM (or any other legacy currency) into euros.

Françoise LE MEUR
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
amounts in ECU Feb 29, 2016

thank you !

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Who'll be reading your text? Feb 29, 2016

LEMEON wrote:

thank you

yes maybe it was a silly question: So I leave the orignal amount( say 1000 ecu) and also the name of the currency ECU ?
thanks in advance

It depends who'll be reading your text. If it's for people working in finance, there's no need. If it's for schoolchildren, they'll need an explanation. For anyone in between, I'd suggest using common sense

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

amounts in a text with a disappeared currency like ECU

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »