Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Mar 8, 2016

What do you do if you find the original text of the translation test that you've been asked to do?

The original was in English. The company gave a linguist the source to translate into a second language. The company then gives this second language text to new translators to translate into English and assesses their translation against the original.

[Edited at 2016-03-08 15:28 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:38
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
With you Mar 8, 2016

DJHartmann wrote:

... I passed (of course) and don't feel ashamed...
DJH

And now you need us to hold your hand and tell you "Goood boy, good..."
Right, sleep well, nothing happened! If your translation was really good, that was mostly important for yourself, for your own self-approval and reconfirmation. We also need that from time to time, don't we?
I have done, tried to do, the same only to find out that my translation was actually better, readable easier.
I don't do that anymore, I want to see myself where I stand.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
It's about ethics Mar 8, 2016

I don't know whether I need a reaffirmation but if you have to question the ethics of something, it's most likely unethical. This is why I came to the forums.

[Edited at 2016-03-08 13:34 GMT]

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
Romanian to English
+ ...
Clinical trials Mar 8, 2016

Isn't back-translation what you were supposed to do in a clinical trial translation?

Not discussing the ethics of translation tests here (I rarely accept them), but if it's for clinical trials, I think the point is to do a real back-translation, not just copy the original. They want to check how the translation is back-translated, especially in very risky trials where they want to be very sure there's no loss of meaning.

I wouldn't accept doing a back-translation *test*
... See more
Isn't back-translation what you were supposed to do in a clinical trial translation?

Not discussing the ethics of translation tests here (I rarely accept them), but if it's for clinical trials, I think the point is to do a real back-translation, not just copy the original. They want to check how the translation is back-translated, especially in very risky trials where they want to be very sure there's no loss of meaning.

I wouldn't accept doing a back-translation *test*, but I don't think I would want to make that point in a clinical trial where human life is involved.

I'm quite sure it's not your resourcefulness they were testing by giving you something to translate that was already a translation of a text written in your target language. There are very good reasons for back-translation in certain fields, medical being one of them.

[Edited at 2016-03-08 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
For what, then? Mar 8, 2016

DJHartmann wrote:

I don't know whether I need a reaffirmation but if you have to question the ethics of something, it's most likely unethical. This is why I came to the forums.

[Edited at 2016-03-08 13:34 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
That was just an example Mar 8, 2016

Annamaria Amik wrote:

Sorry, this was just a previous example... the test was software related and wasn't a back translation. It was the test translation to be accepted as a translator for a certain agency. It was 4 sentences long.

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:38
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
? Mar 8, 2016

Can't understand what you are on about.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nor I Mar 8, 2016

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:

Nor I, and I have no idea what "purposely" means.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
A storm in a teacup? Mar 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

purposely |ˈpəːpəsli|
adverb
on purpose; intentionally: she had purposely made it difficult.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nor I... Mar 8, 2016

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
One question Mar 8, 2016

OK, one question with no background explanation.

What do you do if you find the source text of the translation test that you've been asked to do?

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Still Mar 8, 2016

But you already had the source text, didn't you? That's the bit that's confusing me. They gave you a source text (A) and asked you to translate it into English, then you found the source text (A) somewhere else. So what, you already had it, didn't you?

http://www.speakyourlanguages.com/courses/selfstudy2/imp02/01imp02.htm

[Edited at 2016-03-08 15:
... See more
But you already had the source text, didn't you? That's the bit that's confusing me. They gave you a source text (A) and asked you to translate it into English, then you found the source text (A) somewhere else. So what, you already had it, didn't you?

http://www.speakyourlanguages.com/courses/selfstudy2/imp02/01imp02.htm

[Edited at 2016-03-08 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Bemused. Mar 8, 2016

Same here, I don't understand the question. What can I do with the source text I had found and why would I care?

You mean I found the source text within a bigger unit and then I will revise the broader context of my source text?

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
The original 'source' Mar 8, 2016

The original was in English. The company gave a linguist the source to translate into a second language. The company then gives this second language text to new translators to translate into English and assesses their translation against the original.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Deliberately Mar 8, 2016

DJHartmann wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

purposely |ˈpəːpəsli|
adverb
on purpose; intentionally: she had purposely made it difficult.

Ah- you mean "deliberately".

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The ethics of translation tests

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »