What are the fields of translation that generally have limited use of translation softwares?
Thread poster: Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:36
English to Bengali
+ ...
Apr 27, 2016

Dear friends of proz
From my own experience I find that most of the legal source texts are scanned images of court papers. Such texts are not suitable enough for converting them into word texts. Thus it either is not suited for translation software or have very limited use them.
Do you agree with this proposition? If yes, what are the other fields of translation that have similar features /difficulties?
Regards
Sumit1970

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not necessarily Apr 27, 2016

Depending on the quality scanned images are easily convertible into editable formats and so can be translated using all modern tools.
If I were about to translate literature I probably would convert the pages into Word documents, so I would be sure nor paragraph or sentence would slip my attention. Then I would use a translation tool even though I'm sure no 100% matches would occur. But I would easily be able to look up how a certain term was translated earlier.
But experienced liter
... See more
Depending on the quality scanned images are easily convertible into editable formats and so can be translated using all modern tools.
If I were about to translate literature I probably would convert the pages into Word documents, so I would be sure nor paragraph or sentence would slip my attention. Then I would use a translation tool even though I'm sure no 100% matches would occur. But I would easily be able to look up how a certain term was translated earlier.
But experienced literary translators may prefer their own methods, maybe they rather look each paragraph up from paper.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:06
French to English
creative stuff Apr 27, 2016

Basically, what Heinrich says would apply to almost anything with a creative element, which is what I do: fashion, cosmetics, tourism, theatre, music, art exhibitions, historical theses, architecture...

I do sometimes use CAT tools simply because I got into the habit while working at an agency, and it does help me keep termino consistent, especially when I have several clients in the same field with different jargon. But I never hold out any hope for matches.

If I did
... See more
Basically, what Heinrich says would apply to almost anything with a creative element, which is what I do: fashion, cosmetics, tourism, theatre, music, art exhibitions, historical theses, architecture...

I do sometimes use CAT tools simply because I got into the habit while working at an agency, and it does help me keep termino consistent, especially when I have several clients in the same field with different jargon. But I never hold out any hope for matches.

If I did legal stuff I'd really want to use my legal TM because I can never remember any terms, it just doesn't stick in my physical memory. So I'd go the extra mile to try to convert the file.
Collapse

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Benefits of CAT tools go beyond repetitions Apr 27, 2016

As Heinrich mentioned, there are benefits to CAT tools beyond using them for repetitions. I do academic translation, and there are essentially no repetitions in my work. Still, it can be beneficial to use a CAT tool because I can automatically save technical terms and/or use existing term bases so that I don't have to look the terms up repeatedly. As a simple example, if I use "deterrence" for the German "Abschreckung," then I can save it as a term and have it be suggested every time "Abschrecku... See more
As Heinrich mentioned, there are benefits to CAT tools beyond using them for repetitions. I do academic translation, and there are essentially no repetitions in my work. Still, it can be beneficial to use a CAT tool because I can automatically save technical terms and/or use existing term bases so that I don't have to look the terms up repeatedly. As a simple example, if I use "deterrence" for the German "Abschreckung," then I can save it as a term and have it be suggested every time "Abschreckung" comes up in the future, saving me the time of looking it up again.
Even if there are no repetitions, you can benefit from other CAT tool features.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:06
English to Thai
+ ...
Literature ? Apr 27, 2016

Sumit1970 wrote:

Dear friends of proz
From my own experience I find that most of the legal source texts are scanned images of court papers. Such texts are not suitable enough for converting them into word texts. Thus it either is not suited for translation software or have very limited use them.

I Think that translation with idiomatic writing styles have few repetitions of terms and translation units. These documents include novels, animations, games, marketing copy-writing, advertisement etc. Human side of translation is mostly reliable. Yes, machine translation is also less convenient.

Soonthon L.

Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:36
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT is not that bad thing Apr 27, 2016

Dear Heinrich and Kelly
I relly do not mean that CAT tools are useless. I only ment that sometimes converting certain scanned images into word doc is very tiresome and too much time-taking. Due to associated hidden boxxes etc. Again there is another part of my questions, pls share your views on that. I was asking to know the other fields of source texts that also have some kind of problem.
Thank you Soonthon for your comment. I also agree with your views.
Regards
Sumit197
... See more
Dear Heinrich and Kelly
I relly do not mean that CAT tools are useless. I only ment that sometimes converting certain scanned images into word doc is very tiresome and too much time-taking. Due to associated hidden boxxes etc. Again there is another part of my questions, pls share your views on that. I was asking to know the other fields of source texts that also have some kind of problem.
Thank you Soonthon for your comment. I also agree with your views.
Regards
Sumit1970
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Type it, then translate it Apr 27, 2016

Sumit1970 wrote:
From my own experience I find that most of the legal source texts are scanned images of court papers. Such texts are not suitable enough for converting them into word texts [using OCR]. Thus it either is not suited for translation software or have very limited use them.

OCR is only one method of converting scanned documents to text. A more reliable method is to hire a typist for 10-20% of your translation rate to convert the scanned document into a Word document (with rudimentary formatting). Since legal files tend to have a high degree of repetition, you'll likely find that this method pays off soon enough when you start getting matches.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the fields of translation that generally have limited use of translation softwares?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »