Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Off topic: How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?
Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Och aye Jun 28, 2016

The Scottish Government is already in talks with the EU authorities to work out how Scotland can stay in the EU. Great possibilities for translating from Glaswegian into other languages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKoekcThLE

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 07:30
De facto standard Jun 28, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

We're told over and over again there is free movement of goods if only they fulfil requirements in the country where they are produced

It´s high time to ban Studio from the EU then! SDLexit it!

[Edited at 2016-06-28 07:26 GMT]

The good thing about Studio is that with SDLXLIFF it has created a de facto standard for exchange of translation projects. As EU citizens we are free to translate these files with whatever accommodates our national preferences best.

We free translators of all origins are by no way bound to SDL restrictions such as operating systems (own Windows first, other operating systems banned).

So, my view on SDL is quite positive.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nice Jun 28, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

We're told over and over again there is free movement of goods if only they fulfil requirements in the country where they are produced

It´s high time to ban Studio from the EU then! SDLexit it!

[Edited at 2016-06-28 07:26 GMT]

The good thing about Studio is that with SDLXLIFF it has created a de facto standard for exchange of translation projects. As EU citizens we are free to translate these files with whatever accommodates our national preferences best.

We free translators of all origins are by no way bound to SDL restrictions such as operating systems (own Windows first, other operating systems banned).

I see what you did there. Nice bit of this.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/chat-marketing-34424.html

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Funny Jun 28, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I see what you did there. Nice bit of this.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/chat-marketing-34424.html

It would have been if I'd mentioned a certain tool, which I didn't. Nevertheless, thanks for teaching me a new word (one new word a day, keeps the doctor away).

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sorry, I couldn´t resist and... Jun 28, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

... good to know, that there is no need anymore for a better tool (like CafeTran supposed to be).

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Exactly Jun 28, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

... good to know, that there is no need anymore for a better tool (like CafeTran supposed to be).

Just like that! SDLXLIFF files can be processed by nearly all CAT tools now. You're free to pick your favourite tool. The one that I've chosen, is not relevant here. It's about freedom to work the way you prefer.

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Good point! Jun 28, 2016

Preston Decker wrote:

From the article linked above regarding the potential loss of official status for English in the EU:"EU documents and legal texts are translated into all 24 official languages of the bloc. If English were to lose that status, Britons would have to do the translation themselves."

Seems to me that this could be a plus for freelance translators, as from what I've heard the EU project bidding process essentially ensures that freelancers are cut-off from many EU projects (or have to jump through hoops to be qualified for them). Or do most of you European language translators work regularly with EU projects?

and

Texte Style wrote:

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

According to this report, English stands to lose its status as one of the official languages of the EU, though it would probably continue as a working language:

So, which foreign languge are you planning to start learning to hedge your bets - Chinese? Hindi?

I won't be learning any other language to substitute my native target language.

English won't lose its status because of Ireland and Malta, as others have said. Plus which Scotland has no intention of leaving the EU. If England and Wales were to forge ahead as seems less and less likely, Scotland will refuse to tag along.

No chance of Scotland staying in and taking the place of UK's membership - the EU simply doesn't work like that. The UK leaves and all its constituent components with it. The only avenue open to Scotland is to leave the UK, form it's own constitution (and if I may allow own little political indulgence here, personally I think they should forget the idea of a Republic and send the Jacobite heirs to march on Holyrood and reclaim the throne), then meet the criteria of EU accession and get voted in. That will take the best part of a decade at least.

Northern Ireland on the other hand may be slightly different. They could unite under the star-spangled blue banner and put aside historical and religious differences and seek to join the Irish republic. This, if I am not mistaken, would be de facto entry into the EU via an existing member who has no intention of leaving.

Irish as the official EU language of Ireland? Don't make me laugh! When I lived there in the heart of the Wild West and stronghold of the Gaeilge, only a tiny proportion of even those guys could hold a conversation in Gaelic, and the ones that had it as their first language (from Connamara essentially) were lovingly referred to as boggers. (Connamara is bogland and the source of much of the world's peat). Welsh is far more widely spoken in Wales than Gaelic in Ireland. If the EU opts to switch to Gaelic they will be breaking their own promises of every EU citizen being able to read and understand all EU policy, law etc in their own language. Probably somewhere in the region of 90% of Irish wouldn't have a clue what they are reading!

I just read the Reuters article posted by Bala. Oh boy, we have to see the funny side of that!!! The Irish only chose Gaelic because Britain had chosen English, so they could get their tiny population of Gaelic speakers represented in addition to the huge majority English speakers. Oh that is just hilarious! Really cheered me up that...

[Edited at 2016-06-28 12:55 GMT]

Addendum:

Amusement aside, how would all this effect translation? Barring Treaty change to either include English or to allow bilingual countries to have 2 official languages registered (the likely scenario in my opinion), first of all there is going to be a HUGE market created for translation from Gaelic to English. Galway should start thinking of building a translation centre right now that communicates directly with the Directorate-General of Translation in order to start translating all Directives, Legislation and Decisions, parliamentary debates, questions and answers, policy etc etc etc from Gaelic into English so that Ireland has a clue what is going on.

Britain, on the other hand, will have to translate the relevant parts to it either on an ad hoc basis, or via a centralised governmental department a la Directorate-General for Translation. The former, not being a centralised solution, could mean a huge amount of repeated translation and therefore a surge in work for Freelancers like you and I. The latter would mean the obvious creation of Civil Servant translation jobs - perhaps hope for the English translators in the DGT returning home? Perhaps time for fresh blood and less infrequent and lengthy competitions on the other hand? One would assume the more likely beneficiaries would be DE>EN or FR>EN translators, however this is pure speculation. It will also largely depend on which deal the UK negotiates. If it goes for the Norway EFTA model, then compliance with EU regulations is implied and therefore an awful lot of work for British-based translators. Then again, it is also perfectly feasible that the UK government simply outsources its entire translation needs to an economy with cheaper labour. India and South Africa being the obvious beneficiaries in that scenario.

Personally I simply see EU Treaty change on the horizon.

[Edited at 2016-06-28 13:00 GMT]

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks for this Gemma Jun 28, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

This is how I think UK leaving the EU would affect clinical trials and medical translators (admittedly a tiny detail in the bigger picture):
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/06/27/brexit/

I enjoy looking in on your blog from time to time and shall sit back with a cup of coffee on this one this afternoon. I also do pharmaceutical translation and clinical trials in a couple of my pairs (not the ES>EN pair though, but the principles are still bound to apply), so I shall enjoy reading this. I'm also an SDL Trados Studio fan like yourself.

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
The whole of sciencedom is looking on in disbelief Jun 28, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

This is how I think UK leaving the EU would affect clinical trials and medical translators (admittedly a tiny detail in the bigger picture):
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/06/27/brexit/

I've heard that medical researchers in the UK are concerned because their EU funding will be gone.

Division and extra restrictions and lack of cooperation runs completely counter to the ethos and progress of science. They are surely scratching their heads at the moment and the Universities, who undoubtedly overwhelmingly voted to remain, are also probably feeling extremely anxious at present, particularly as the UK governments of the last couple of decades have been demonstrating a trend of moving away from public funding and more towards privatisation and corporate sponsorship of research. Even the Labour government was in favour of the abolishment of free higher education.

[Edited at 2016-06-28 11:09 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Scotland Jun 28, 2016

Huw Watkins wrote:

No chance of Scotland staying in and taking the place of UK's membership - the EU simply doesn't work like that. The UK leaves and all its constituent components with it. The only avenue open to Scotland is to leave the UK, form it's own constitution (and if I may allow own little political indulgence here, personally I think they should forget the idea of a Republic and send the Jacobite heirs to march on Holyrood and reclaim the throne), then meet the criteria of EU accession and get voted in. That will take the best part of a decade at least.

The possibility of an entire country leaving the EU simply hasn't ever come up before, so you can't talk about how the EU usually works.

Insofar as a majority of Scots want out of Brexiting UK in order to remain in the EU, I do believe the EU needs to entertain this possibility very seriously. They were coming down on Scotland like a ton of bricks before the independence referendum, warning that they might not be "let back in", but that was to appease Cameron and the Spanish government. Now they no longer care about appeasing Cameron, they want to punish the Brexiteers to prevent other countries getting ideas, and they would presumably want to reward Bremainers. And the situation no longer has any parallels with Catalonia and Spain, so it's a very real possibility if ever the English Brexiteers really do forge ahead as promised.

My son who's studying in Scotland got an e-mail - on Sunday! - reassuring him that his status as an EU student will not change in any way. Just a small gesture, but it counts a lot for us and shows that Nicola Sturgeon is sincere saying that Scotland values their foreign students and workers.

(I for one will then be clamouring for Nicola Sturgeon to then march on London, she's the only politician to be demonstrating a shred of dignity at the moment)

It won't make much difference for me personally in that I don't translate anything for the Commission, although I do plenty of stuff marketing France as a tourist destination and French products, so I definitely want harmonious relations to be preserved between France and English-speaking countries. If I have to introduce a Scottish accent, I can handle that

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bliar Jun 28, 2016

Huw Watkins wrote:

Even the Labour government was in favour of the abolishment of free higher education.

That was the Blair government. The next Labour government intends to return to free higher education.

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm afraid Juncker and Co have already put this idea to bed Jun 28, 2016

Texte Style wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:

The possibility of an entire country leaving the EU simply hasn't ever come up before, so you can't talk about how the EU usually works.

Insofar as a majority of Scots want out of Brexiting UK in order to remain in the EU, I do believe the EU needs to entertain this possibility very seriously. They were coming down on Scotland like a ton of bricks before the independence referendum, warning that they might not be "let back in", but that was to appease Cameron and the Spanish government. Now they no longer care about appeasing Cameron, they want to punish the Brexiteers to prevent other countries getting ideas, and they would presumably want to reward Bremainers. And the situation no longer has any parallels with Catalonia and Spain, so it's a very real possibility if ever the English Brexiteers really do forge ahead as promised.

My son who's studying in Scotland got an e-mail - on Sunday! - reassuring him that his status as an EU student will not change in any way. Just a small gesture, but it counts a lot for us and shows that Nicola Sturgeon is sincere saying that Scotland values their foreign students and workers.

(I for one will then be clamouring for Nicola Sturgeon to then march on London, she's the only politician to be demonstrating a shred of dignity at the moment)

It won't make much difference for me personally in that I don't translate anything for the Commission, although I do plenty of stuff marketing France as a tourist destination and French products, so I definitely want harmonious relations to be preserved between France and English-speaking countries. If I have to introduce a Scottish accent, I can handle that

I think they have already issued statements that it is not going to happen, following the comments made by Nicola Sturgeon after the Brexit result. Mind you my sources are the press so who knows? Maybe she'll secure negotiations?

This looks interesting Texte Style: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/27/scottish-labour-seeks-possibility-federal-uk-brexit-aftermath?CMP=fb_gu

[Edited at 2016-06-28 15:23 GMT]

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
Irish and English Jun 28, 2016

The Irish language is already in use in EU institutional contexts (I have friends who make their living from this fact.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gaeilge-to-become-a-full-working-language-of-the-european-union-386308.html

Even without Ireland and Malta, English would have to continue to be used s
... See more
The Irish language is already in use in EU institutional contexts (I have friends who make their living from this fact.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gaeilge-to-become-a-full-working-language-of-the-european-union-386308.html

Even without Ireland and Malta, English would have to continue to be used since it's used a lingua franca (ironic that!), and especially since many of the EU's documents have extra-EU significance (ECJ rulings, etc.) In other words, English is not going anywhere.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:30
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Bregret? Jun 28, 2016

What are the chances of Brexit not even happening? What do you think about the arguments discussed at Will the UK reverse course on Brexit? and another articl... See more
What are the chances of Brexit not even happening? What do you think about the arguments discussed at Will the UK reverse course on Brexit? and another article at The ‘Leave’ Camp Won. That Doesn’t Mean Brexit Will Happen.

[Edited at 2016-06-28 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
re: English might no longer be an official language of the EU Jun 28, 2016

First of all, may I start by saying what a sad day Friday 24th June was and what a shock seeing Jo Cox' death gave hope on the last two days before the referendum that peoples might have changed their mind about immigration. Nevertheless, there is another article and, more official that a newspaper, that says English might no longer be an official languag ethe only hope remaining is Scotland joini... See more
First of all, may I start by saying what a sad day Friday 24th June was and what a shock seeing Jo Cox' death gave hope on the last two days before the referendum that peoples might have changed their mind about immigration. Nevertheless, there is another article and, more official that a newspaper, that says English might no longer be an official languag ethe only hope remaining is Scotland joining which will take years: http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/. Both Ireland and Malta chose another official language as English had already been chosen. It seems
EU officials are already doing something about it and I know many working in the institutions are very worried, but it is still too early to predict or say how things will turn out.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »