DPSI after Brexit
Thread poster: Vlad Stoica
Vlad Stoica
Vlad Stoica
Romania
Local time: 01:06
English
Jul 1, 2016

I'm a Romanian interpreter and I have mostly NHS jobs. My plan was to prepare for DPSI law test, so that means I will need to spend a lot of money and time for preparation.

My question is : Do you think it is worth to pursue a DPSI diploma after Brexit?

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:06
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not that fast Jul 4, 2016

Well, this is a process of 40 years in a system and it takes long to get out. The New Prime Minister has not been elected yet. He or She will lead that process, which may happen next year. Please, take a look at Article 50 of the EU Constitution. (...taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union...)

The point is that nothing is really finished and things might change till 2017.

Good luck.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes... Jul 4, 2016

... is my instinct, but nobody really knows what will happen.

I find it hard to see anyone already here being chucked out.

Bottom line is we will still need to import foreigners to do the dirty work we can't be arsed to do, and I imagine the 52% would generally prefer Europeans to Asians.

I don't envy your position though.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Probably the dumbest thing the UK government has ever done, ... Jul 4, 2016

… but who am I to judge? Who knows, maybe, just maybe, after years of chaos and confusion, the UK will end up better off. Although I really doubt it.

Whether UKIP gets its way and they start throwing people out or not, I doubt any of it will decrease the demand for interpreters here in the UK. If anything, it might actually have the opposite effect. It depends on what kind of material you translate/interpret, of course, but I find that crises often have absolutely no (negative) ef
... See more
… but who am I to judge? Who knows, maybe, just maybe, after years of chaos and confusion, the UK will end up better off. Although I really doubt it.

Whether UKIP gets its way and they start throwing people out or not, I doubt any of it will decrease the demand for interpreters here in the UK. If anything, it might actually have the opposite effect. It depends on what kind of material you translate/interpret, of course, but I find that crises often have absolutely no (negative) effect on work volume in our profession. Stuff always needs to be translated.

Michael
Collapse

Vlad Stoica
Vlad Stoica
Romania
Local time: 01:06
English
TOPIC STARTER
Optimism Jul 4, 2016

I'm not so optimist.
I have romanian friends who studied languages in UK and it was hard for them to find jobs before 2014 , when Romanians had the right to work in UK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI after Brexit

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »