Thread poster: Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2017

A new article for this initiative of helping translator getting started with writing code. This time, I show you how to create you own autocorrect feature, to use with any program (Word, CAT tools, Chrome, etc.) and with the words/mispelling you need, in whatever language you work with.

... See more
A new article for this initiative of helping translator getting started with writing code. This time, I show you how to create you own autocorrect feature, to use with any program (Word, CAT tools, Chrome, etc.) and with the words/mispelling you need, in whatever language you work with.

Here's the link: https://juanrowdablog.wordpress.com/2017/01/19/getting-translators-to-code-iii-create-your-very-own-autocorrect/

If you missed previous posts:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/310216-getting_translators_to_code.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/310561-getting_translators_to_code_ii_a_powerful_yet_simple_search_script.html

Hope you find these useful!
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 17:55
Getting Translators to Script? Jan 19, 2017

With all due respect and a positive attitude to your initiative, just one remark:

Shouldn't the title of your posting be:

Getting Translators to Script?

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Jan 19, 2017

That's a good point - thanks for bringing it up. The idea is to make a series of posts that gradually increase in "difficulty". I feel scripts is the best way to get started, especially for translators that are completely new to code. For that reason, I started with a "gentle introduction" and I'm covering simple topics in the first. We'll get into more complex stuff eventually, I'm planning on including some Python, etc. But, one step at a time

CafeTran Training wrote:

With all due respect and a positive attitude to your initiative, just one remark:

Shouldn't the title of your posting be:

Getting Translators to Script?

sam@fr-uk
sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:55
French to English
Another useful post Jan 20, 2017

Thanks very much! I didn't know that hotstrings could trigger actions as well, so this will prove very handy indeed.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 17:55
Sounds interesting Jan 20, 2017

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda wrote:

I'm planning on including some Python, etc. But, one step at a time

That sounds interesting. Python is another great Dutch invention, named after Monty Python.

Thank you for this great initiative.

BTW: I'm a script kiddy myself: I use Keyboard Maestro to automate CafeTran on Mac for all kind of micro tasks.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are welcome! Jan 20, 2017

sam@fr-uk wrote:

Thanks very much! I didn't know that hotstrings could trigger actions as well, so this will prove very handy indeed.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 20, 2017

And, hey, if you'd like to contribute to the initiative, please feel free to do so. It'd be awesome to have more people with experience sharing what they know.

CafeTran Training wrote:

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda wrote:

I'm planning on including some Python, etc. But, one step at a time

That sounds interesting. Python is another great Dutch invention, named after Monty Python.

Thank you for this great initiative.

BTW: I'm a script kiddy myself: I use Keyboard Maestro to automate CafeTran on Mac for all kind of micro tasks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Translators to Code III – Create Your Own AutoCorrect

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »