Thread poster: olivia abreu
olivia abreu
olivia abreu  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 12, 2017

Hello everyone!!
I'm working on a proofreading project of a University's website. It's in neutral Spanish, so for that reason, I see appropriate to use "usted" which is the respectful third person. The reason I think this is the correct person to use is that in the first place is it was required neutral Spanish; second: I don't know if in University "A" students of all ages are accepted while in University "B" only students of the 20-25 age group are accepted. So, in light of that 'lack of
... See more
Hello everyone!!
I'm working on a proofreading project of a University's website. It's in neutral Spanish, so for that reason, I see appropriate to use "usted" which is the respectful third person. The reason I think this is the correct person to use is that in the first place is it was required neutral Spanish; second: I don't know if in University "A" students of all ages are accepted while in University "B" only students of the 20-25 age group are accepted. So, in light of that 'lack of localization', I see as more professional to address whoever might read the web page respectfully.
Now, I went online to check various Universities websites in Spanish and couldn't help but notice that they all address whoever might the website in the second person.........so now I'm all doubtful about if there is something I'm missing......

I greatly thank you for your time,
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, everybody!!!!
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 10:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Universities' expections Oct 13, 2017

I look at universities' websites sometimes just to get some particular information I need for a translation. I found that in general universities expect that their website will be used by young students, those who have just finished high school and are applying for admission. They adopt a friendly tone to try to make it attractive for students to apply. Since you have found the same for Spanish universities, I think you should follow what seems to be the norm. If possible, check with the client.... See more
I look at universities' websites sometimes just to get some particular information I need for a translation. I found that in general universities expect that their website will be used by young students, those who have just finished high school and are applying for admission. They adopt a friendly tone to try to make it attractive for students to apply. Since you have found the same for Spanish universities, I think you should follow what seems to be the norm. If possible, check with the client.

[Edited at 2017-10-13 03:41 GMT]
Collapse

olivia abreu
olivia abreu  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tina Oct 13, 2017

Thank you so much for your response, Tina . I would definitely do so, and fallow the friendly tone given that it seems to be the norm as you very well said. Your response was very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Neutral University's website translation addressing in which personal pronoun

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »