Hanieh Azimzadegan
Hanieh Azimzadegan
Iran
Local time: 10:46
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Dec 8, 2017

Hi,
I am student of MA English Translation. Recently, I am working on translation competence and giving feedback.
As you know, giving feedback and its type are very important. What do you thank about Immediate (during the task) and delayed feedback (after the task) in translation for students?
Which of them is better?

[Edited at 2017-12-08 18:41 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Prefer delayed feedback. Dec 8, 2017

I would like immediate feedback right away only if I'm not sure or if I have questions. Otherwise I wouldn't want someone 'looking over my shoulder' while i'm working. After I'm finished, I may get not only feedback about specific details but also overall feedback, such as suggestions about what kind of things to avoid, what to improve upon, encouragement, etc.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:16
French to English
Immediate feedback??? Dec 9, 2017

I don't want anyone looking at my work while I'm doing it. I don't want to be judged on something that hasn't been polished to perfection. If I have any doubts I'll ask for more information, and apart from that I'm to be left well alone.

Delayed feedback, i.e. within a reasonable time frame so the client has had time to look at my text and check anything they don't get, is much appreciated.

Hanieh Azimzadegan
Hanieh Azimzadegan
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Tina Vonhof, thanks for your answer. Do you have any articles or books in this field ? Dec 9, 2017

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I would like immediate feedback right away only if I'm not sure or if I have questions. Otherwise I wouldn't want someone 'looking over my shoulder' while i'm working. After I'm finished, I may get not only feedback about specific details but also overall feedback, such as suggestions about what kind of things to avoid, what to improve upon, encouragement, etc.

Hanieh Azimzadegan
Hanieh Azimzadegan
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Texte Style, thanks for your answer. Do you have any articles or books about this issue? Dec 9, 2017

Texte Style wrote:

I don't want anyone looking at my work while I'm doing it. I don't want to be judged on something that hasn't been polished to perfection. If I have any doubts I'll ask for more information, and apart from that I'm to be left well alone.

Delayed feedback, i.e. within a reasonable time frame so the client has had time to look at my text and check anything they don't get, is much appreciated.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:16
French to English
Salaam Honyaz Dec 10, 2017

Honyaz wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

Sorry, I don't have any books or articles in this field. I just gave you my opinion based on my personal experience of a boss who used to breathe down my neck and my favourite clients who ask questions and make sure everything is OK and learn to trust me.
And personal experience is a far more effective way of learning than reading books and articles, believe me. Whatever the subject matter.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What's the point in asking this question? Dec 10, 2017

What are its practical implications?

People would be in a better position to offer their opinions if they know better about your purpose.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Immediate Vs. Delayed Feedback

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »