First official document: what are the important guidelines to follow
Thread poster: anasofiapcf
anasofiapcf
anasofiapcf
Portugal
Jan 22, 2019

Hello,

I am translating my first official document (which is also my first job), from PT to EN, which is a certificate on how the person has completed her degree at that institute. She will work abroad and so needs to deliver the translation and the original to the Portuguese Consul. While it's relatively easy to translate, it's an official document, to be credited by a notary. Since it's an official document, I was wondering if there are any important guidelines that should be foll
... See more
Hello,

I am translating my first official document (which is also my first job), from PT to EN, which is a certificate on how the person has completed her degree at that institute. She will work abroad and so needs to deliver the translation and the original to the Portuguese Consul. While it's relatively easy to translate, it's an official document, to be credited by a notary. Since it's an official document, I was wondering if there are any important guidelines that should be followed in order to make the best work possible. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it dearly.

Another smaller question I have is about certain job titles, such as "Directora de Cursos" and an official document called "Livro das Licenciaturas". While Directora de Cursos shows up when searching for it but an official translation doesn't, Livro das Licenciaturas doesn't even show up in Portuguese, and so I'm questioning if they're to be translated or not. If I don't translate them, it will be certified as a partial translation while the client asked for a full one, but if I do translate them they will be my own translated words.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2019-01-22 13:01 GMT]
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:03
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
translate while keeping the original terms Jan 25, 2019

For terms for which no official translation exists, could you use your own translation with the original (Portuguese) term in brakets? For example: Mrs Jane Doe was a Course Leader (Diretora de Cursos) from May 1992 until July 1995.

I am afraid I do not usually translate official documents, so I can't offer any advice on guidelines.
Good lcuk with your first job!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First official document: what are the important guidelines to follow

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »