ATA Translations accepted at Courts of England and Wales?
Thread poster: Annie Sapucaia
Annie Sapucaia
Annie Sapucaia  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:41
French to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2020

Hi all,

I was asked a question by a potential client the other day that left me stumped. Are translations done by an ATA-certified translator accepted in UK Courts? Does anyone know if there are such rules? Have any ATA-certified members here had their translations used in UK courts?

Thanks in advance!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Annie Feb 25, 2020

As far as I know, there are no “official translators” or “sworn translators” in the UK. Get in touch with the UK Embassy or the British Consulate.

[Edited at 2020-02-25 10:17 GMT]

philgoddard
Christopher Schröder

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 07:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Safe Feb 26, 2020

Just to play it safe, I have always suggested a few translators in the UK or NL in my case.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why wouldn't they be? Feb 26, 2020

As long as the translation is professionally done and faithful to the original, I don't think there will be any discrimination against ATA certified translations in the UK, but then again, you never know.
AFAIK, whereas other countries, for example Spain, ask for a sworn or certified translation, the UK does not have a system of 'sworn' or 'certified' translators accredited by a particular body, so it is usually enough for the translators to certify their own documents. Of course, a crede
... See more
As long as the translation is professionally done and faithful to the original, I don't think there will be any discrimination against ATA certified translations in the UK, but then again, you never know.
AFAIK, whereas other countries, for example Spain, ask for a sworn or certified translation, the UK does not have a system of 'sworn' or 'certified' translators accredited by a particular body, so it is usually enough for the translators to certify their own documents. Of course, a credential from an acknowledged official or quasi-official organisation like CIOL or ATA will always lend a bit of weight.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Annie Sapucaia
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 27, 2020

Thank you all for your replies. I imagine that, if there is no official source saying translations *must* be done by a member of ITI, for example, that an ATA-certified translator would probably be fine. Maybe it's just not very common.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Funnily enough, Feb 28, 2020

I'm in the US, and I had a UK customer today asking if I was a certified translator. I said that as far as I knew there was no such thing in either country, but I could certify the translation. In my long experience, the UK courts will almost always accept any piece of paper saying who you are and confirming that it's a true translation.

[Edited at 2020-02-28 19:43 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Annie Sapucaia
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Helpful Mar 2, 2020

philgoddard wrote:

I'm in the US, and I had a UK customer today asking if I was a certified translator. I said that as far as I knew there was no such thing in either country, but I could certify the translation. In my long experience, the UK courts will almost always accept any piece of paper saying who you are and confirming that it's a true translation.

[Edited at 2020-02-28 19:43 GMT]

Thanks Phil, that's helpful!

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 2, 2020

Agreement with Neilmac.

AFAIK no official certification is required in the UK court system. This is also true in the U.S. A credential here or there might be nice as you sign your translation, but I think it is rare when a judge actually requires seeing such credentials.

My colleagues might like to confirm and/or add to the following short list:

Countries with an official certification: Canada, Germany, Spain, Australia
Countries that do not have an o
... See more
Agreement with Neilmac.

AFAIK no official certification is required in the UK court system. This is also true in the U.S. A credential here or there might be nice as you sign your translation, but I think it is rare when a judge actually requires seeing such credentials.

Countries that do not have an official certification: UK, US, Ireland

Come on, colleagues, help me with my list.
Collapse

Annie Sapucaia
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not Canada Mar 4, 2020

Edward Potter wrote:

Agreement with Neilmac.

Countries that do not have an official certification: UK, US, Ireland

Come on, colleagues, help me with my list.

Thanks, Edward. There's actually no official certification in Canada, either - we have provincial bodies (OTTIAQ, ATIO) but we don't have sworn translators or even a national association.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How does it work in Canada? Mar 15, 2020

Annie Sapucaia wrote:
There's actually no official certification in Canada, either - we have provincial bodies (OTTIAQ, ATIO) but we don't have sworn translators or even a national association.

That is interesting. Do those provinces require certification from those provincial bodies for sworn translations, or is the certification only recommended?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA Translations accepted at Courts of England and Wales?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »