Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
"Please" in an instruction/user manual - to use or not?
Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:12
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
From Japanese Dec 9, 2020

The Japanese language is full of "下さい", a courtesy form that basically translates as "please" in English, and it can't be otherwise. It's the language that demands so.

One problem is when people translate too literally from Japanese, a fact that is not limited to non-native speakers only. Hence the abundant use of "please" in English manuals that originate in Japan. This is the reason why we see so many "per favore" in Italian translations. It's very unnatural, besides highli
... See more
The Japanese language is full of "下さい", a courtesy form that basically translates as "please" in English, and it can't be otherwise. It's the language that demands so.

One problem is when people translate too literally from Japanese, a fact that is not limited to non-native speakers only. Hence the abundant use of "please" in English manuals that originate in Japan. This is the reason why we see so many "per favore" in Italian translations. It's very unnatural, besides highlighting a lack of judgement and experience by the translator.

On the other hand, many Japanese agencies and end clients alike insist on keeping the equivalent of "please" in the target language too, because they worry that otherwise "it would sound too impolite" to the reader. A matter of culture, I would say. Still.
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
Dan Lucas
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Laurent Mercky

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:12
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cultural indeed Dec 9, 2020

Aliseo Japan wrote:
On the other hand, many Japanese agencies and end clients alike insist on keeping the equivalent of "please" in the target language too, because they worry that otherwise "it would sound too impolite" to the reader. A matter of culture, I would say. Still.

This is the thing, isn't it. I spend a fair amount of time first checking to see whether what I intuit to be right in English is actually correct (as opposed to being a habit of mine, or a regional characteristic), finding a semi-authoritative source to back it up, then explaining the issue to the client. It's often difficult to persuade them that a term or phrase that has been widely used in other translations may strike a jarring note in English.

Regards,
Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cultural Dec 9, 2020

This thread has reminded me that what is considered polite or impolite may be completely different in two different cultures. Especially between Japanese and Western cultures.

[Edited at 2020-12-09 09:10 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Apple Dec 9, 2020

Check out the Apple style guide too as I've read they specifically say not to use it.

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmed Dec 9, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Check out the Apple style guide too as I've read they specifically say not to use it.

Excellent idea - that is indeed what they say.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:12
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Examples. Dec 9, 2020

From Apple Style Guide:

Correct: For more information, see “Store Settings” on page 96.

Incorrect: For more information, please see “Store Settings” on page 96

https://help.apple.com/applestyleguide/#/apsg4473eab0

From Whirlpool Washer Manual:

Assistance or Service
Before calling for assistance o
... See more
From Apple Style Guide:

Correct: For more information, see “Store Settings” on page 96.

Incorrect: For more information, please see “Store Settings” on page 96

https://help.apple.com/applestyleguide/#/apsg4473eab0

From Whirlpool Washer Manual:

Assistance or Service
Before calling for assistance or service, please check “Troubleshooting” or visit www.whirlpool.com/help. It may save you the cost of a service call. If you still need help, follow the instructions below.
When calling, please know the purchase date and the complete model and serial number of your appliance. This information will help us to better respond to your request.

https://www.whirlpool.com/content/dam/global/documents/201504/owners-manual-W10607424-RevB.pdf
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
I will translate Dec 9, 2020

If there is "please do something..." in the source text, I will automatically and naturally translate this polite style into the target language.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Laurent Dec 9, 2020

Laurent Mercky wrote:
If there is "please do something..." in the source text, I will automatically and naturally translate this polite style into the target language.

Yes, but in some languages, the same amount of "please" can come across as fawning or servile or even annoyance. If I visit a business person's office and he says "Please take a seat" in English, I know that he's just being polite and telling me that I'm welcome to sit. But if the person said "Please take a seat" in my native language, I would wonder if I have offended him for not having taken the initiative to sit sooner (the polite equivalent of "Please take a seat" in my native language is "Feel free to take a seat"). If I'm invited for a meeting with the bank manager, and he says "Please take a seat" in English, I would not [yet] be worried, but if he said the identical words in my native language, I would break out a sweat and prepare for the worst.

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
Dan Lucas
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Lingua 5B
Sarah Maidstone

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Big Blue Dec 10, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

And this is what IBM says:

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 10.30.32

Short and sweet:

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 10.30.39

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/styleguidelines/index.html

Dan Lucas

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
yes Dec 10, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Laurent Mercky wrote:

Yes, but in some languages, the same amount of "please" can come across as fawning or servile or even annoyance. If I visit a business person's office and he says "Please take a seat" in English, I know that he's just being polite and telling me that I'm welcome to sit. But if the person said "Please take a seat" in my native language, I would wonder if I have offended him for not having taken the initiative to sit sooner (the polite equivalent of "Please take a seat" in my native language is "Feel free to take a seat"). If I'm invited for a meeting with the bank manager, and he says "Please take a seat" in English, I would not [yet] be worried, but if he said the identical words in my native language, I would break out a sweat and prepare for the worst.

absolutely true, "please" may be also considered with a more negative approach.
But here I was just thinking about user's manual, booklets and so on.
While speaking directly with someone, it may have a slightly different meaning.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Same in my language. Dec 10, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Laurent Mercky wrote:

You described it so well, Samuel. If someone told me "Please, take a seat" in my target language, I'd experience a combo of cringe and dramatic anticipation. lol

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Depends on context Dec 10, 2020

I'm technical translator and translate mainly technical texts (instruction manuals, descriptions, etc.). In my language combination (EN-PL), I meet "please" sometimes in the consumer product context like for a DVD player, or hair dryer. I simply skip this word.

In industrial texts (manufacturing machines, vehicles, computers, etc.), "please" can be met (still, not frequently) when the text wasn't written in any of the Anglosaxon countries (to be on the safe side: I include UK, US, I
... See more
I'm technical translator and translate mainly technical texts (instruction manuals, descriptions, etc.). In my language combination (EN-PL), I meet "please" sometimes in the consumer product context like for a DVD player, or hair dryer. I simply skip this word.

In industrial texts (manufacturing machines, vehicles, computers, etc.), "please" can be met (still, not frequently) when the text wasn't written in any of the Anglosaxon countries (to be on the safe side: I include UK, US, IE, CA, NZ, and AU as Anglosaxon countries).

Yet, I remember that a fellow EN-PL translator added the word "proszę" (Polish for "please") to her EN-PL answer here at ProZ; it was for a machining centre operating instructions or like. When I asked why she did it, her reply was (if I recall exactly) "In order to make the text more human". I can understand her attitude but can not agree with.

AM

[Zmieniono 2020-12-10 15:12 GMT]

[Zmieniono 2020-12-10 18:21 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Maidstone
Sarah Maidstone  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
German to English
+ ...
No "please" Dec 11, 2020

I'm doing some technical writing for another large software company whose styleguide doesn't seem to be public, so I can't link to it, but the guidelines fit with those from IBM and Apple. It would seem fairly standard in IT not to use "please" in user manuals.

Regardless of questions of tone or style, if each additional word is being translated into a host of other languages, you can imagine the cost of just adding, "please" to every instruction!

Rachel Waddington

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Please" in an instruction/user manual - to use or not?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »