Further explanation/context when translating organisation name
Thread poster: soniatses
soniatses
soniatses
Local time: 10:57
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2021

An organisation called "Open Russia" is mentioned in a long-read article I'm translating (Russian to English), and I'm wondering whether I should provide further context around what the organisation's all about? It's only a passing mention, the org is not at all a focus of this article or even this paragraph, but I feel that a few words in brackets explaining what Open Russia is may be useful to the English reader?

Does anyone have any advice on providing context in a translation (b
... See more
An organisation called "Open Russia" is mentioned in a long-read article I'm translating (Russian to English), and I'm wondering whether I should provide further context around what the organisation's all about? It's only a passing mention, the org is not at all a focus of this article or even this paragraph, but I feel that a few words in brackets explaining what Open Russia is may be useful to the English reader?

Does anyone have any advice on providing context in a translation (both in this particular instance and more generally)? Thank you!
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
French to English
Names of organisation and translation Feb 22, 2021

The general "rule" is not to change the name of an organisation. It is a proper noun, registered officially somewhere and the means by which the organisation is recognised, as are its legal rights and obligations. Some exceptions include huge organisations that have recognised versions of their name in other languages (United Nations, World Health Organisation, etc.). I don't understand why you say in the title that you are translating the name "Open Russia" into English as it is already in Eng... See more
The general "rule" is not to change the name of an organisation. It is a proper noun, registered officially somewhere and the means by which the organisation is recognised, as are its legal rights and obligations. Some exceptions include huge organisations that have recognised versions of their name in other languages (United Nations, World Health Organisation, etc.). I don't understand why you say in the title that you are translating the name "Open Russia" into English as it is already in English. However, in your post, you say that Open Russia is just mentionned and that you wonder whether you should add a note to say what it is about.

I would suggest you might ask your client and explain why you think it might be helpful. I suppose it depends on the target reader. If the context does not indicate how the organisation fits in, then it might be helpful to add something. You might suggest adding a link to the homepage of the organisation. If the readership is unlikely to understand the relevance of the organisation, then your client is likely to be happy about your suggestion. If it is not critical, most who are interested will simply do as I did and a quick websearch gives a number of hits going into varying amounts of detail.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Shilpa Baliga

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Organisation name Feb 22, 2021

Everybody interested in this topic can find an article on the net: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Russia . IMO no need to add any explanation to your translation.

HTH

AM

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
one- or two-word explanation Feb 23, 2021

I sometimes include a one- or two word description of a term that may be unknown in the target language (a tax number or professional registration number for instance); perhaps using something like "the political organisation "Open Russia" " might work here? That way it does not disturb the flow of the text while making it clear to the reader what kind of entity this is.

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Shilpa Baliga

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Text source is "sacred" but... Feb 23, 2021

If I may take part of this interesting thread and bring my humble opinion, I always have been tought that text source must be "sacred" and kept "untouched" at any price.

But despite this golden rule in translation, you always may point out your client the fact that a proper noun in the text source deserves to be further explained, for example by flagging a short footnote or endnote if allowed by the target format of the text.

[Modifié le 2021-02-23 10:16 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Own webpages or wikipedia Feb 23, 2021

Often help when translating Russian organization names.

In this specific case, their English name says it all anyway, imho.

You could add "political organization", but I wouldn't go much further.

[Edited at 2021-02-23 10:37 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Soniatses Feb 23, 2021

soniatses wrote:

If you feel that a reader of the source text would know what Open Russia is but a reader of the target text would not, then you would be justified in giving a short explanation. You have to ask yourself how much information to give, however. E.g. "Open Russia (a civil rights group)".

Adieu wrote:

If I hadn't read the Wikipedia article, I would have assumed that "Open Russia" is likely a tourism campaign. The name alone does not say it all.

[Edited at 2021-02-23 10:36 GMT]

Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Feb 23, 2021

Laurent DI RAIMONDO wrote:

If I may take part of this interesting thread and bring my humble opinion, I always have been tought that text source must be "sacred" and kept "untouched" at any price.

[Modifié le 2021-02-23 10:16 GMT]

Artistic content....maybe. Although that is surely what footnotes are for.

For informative content, though? Not necessarily. Some things require localization.

Articles on other main topics that mention local political figures in passing definitely benefit from small additions like "former mayor", "jailed opposition leader", "presidential son-in-law" etc. (when said figures are not the main topic). The same case can be made for organizations.

Keep it short and avoid opinions though.

[Edited at 2021-02-23 10:39 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Shilpa Baliga

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Au contraire Mar 1, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Adieu wrote:

If I hadn't read the Wikipedia article, I would have assumed that "Open Russia" is likely a tourism campaign. The name alone does not say it all.

[Edited at 2021-02-23 10:36 GMT]

On the other hand, in the light of recent events, I assumed it was some sort of pro-democratic (Navalny) organisation or movement.

Vivianhu
Vivianhu
Australia
Include a brief explanation Mar 1, 2021

What I normally do is translate word by word to its target language, and include a brief introduction in footnote.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Further explanation/context when translating organisation name

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »