What is the best CAT tool
Thread poster: Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
Local time: 09:30
English to Norwegian
Nov 25, 2009

Having worked as a freelancer for a short time, I have got used to work with Trados. I have also worked with Wordfast, and have recently downloaded Deja Vu and Across.

So far Trados is my favorite, but that is because over 90% of my work has been done with that tool. So what do you think? What CAT tool do you consider the best all in all, with regards on time saving work and features given?

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
Local time: 10:30
English to Russian
Deja Vu and MemoQ Nov 25, 2009

Alf Ivar Tronsmo wrote:

So what do you think? What CAT tool do you consider the best all in all, with regards on time saving work and features given?

Deja Vu and MemoQ.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:00
English to Hindi
+ ...
No cat tool Nov 25, 2009

Alf Ivar Tronsmo wrote:

Having worked as a freelancer for a short time, I have got used to work with Trados. I have also worked with Wordfast, and have recently downloaded Deja Vu and Across.

So far Trados is my favorite, but that is because over 90% of my work has been done with that tool. So what do you think? What CAT tool do you consider the best all in all, with regards on time saving work and features given?

I don't find any CAT tool as my favourite as the mind of human translator is the best judge and tool for any sort of translation who can think about target language readers' need, society etc. It can change the use/style of language and will give human touch to translations.

However I have worked a lot with
SDLX and xliff editor etc in my language pairs. finding none as effective as my own translating abilities of pre-assessing the demand of target reader.

: PRAKAASH

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
My toy is better than yours Nov 25, 2009

Alf,

You will find several similar discussions in the forums. Eventually, almost every existing CAT tool including the simplest ones will be suggested as the best one.

Hynek

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:30
German to English
+ ...
I recommend Trados Nov 25, 2009

I absolutely prefer my competitors to work in Trados whenever possible. Many other translators feel the same way.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree... Nov 25, 2009

Hynek Palatin wrote:
You will find several similar discussions in the forums. Eventually, almost every existing CAT tool including the simplest ones will be suggested as the best one.

This is a direct consequence of the fact that each person has different working habits and expectations about a CAT tool, as well as different types of work and different types of customers. Luckily the market offers many options ranging from easy-to-use, non industrial tools to fully equipped industrial solutions.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Interesting take Nov 25, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
I absolutely prefer my competitors to work in Trados whenever possible. Many other translators feel the same way.

That is a very interesting take on the issue. I must agree wholeheartedly (although I say that without having had much experience with Trados myself).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree! :-) Nov 25, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
Kevin Lossner wrote:

That is a very interesting take on the issue. I must agree wholeheartedly (although I say that without having had much experience with Trados myself).

Indeed, the more my competitors use Trados as their main tool (I also use Trados as an interface with my Trados-based customers), the better for me.

[Edited at 2009-11-25 10:03 GMT]

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Or, even better... Nov 25, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

... I prefer that they work with SDL Trados Studio 2009, and complete a 34,501-word job in 10 hours like Marian Greenfield. The more people work with this software, the most quickly the customers will understand how great it is
Humm... I think the English is wrong, but hopefully understandable anyway.

[Modifié le 2009-11-25 10:18 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-11-25 10:20 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-11-25 10:22 GMT]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
No CAT tool Nov 25, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

I think Kevin has some hidden agenda here. The secret is not to use CAT tools at all. We are humans with our own memory and we don't need no stinking machines to translate for us. Even copy-paste is a bit too much.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
My preferences... Nov 25, 2009

go to cross-platform CAT applications featuring open-source formats. I am being hopelessly converted to Mac OS X..., which I now see clearly was my "native format" anyway...

As per the rest --->

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Kevin Lossner wrote:

I think Kevin has some hidden agenda here. The secret is not to use CAT tools at all. We are humans with our own memory and we don't need no stinking machines to translate for us. Even copy-paste is a bit too much.

[Edited at 2009-11-25 14:59 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry I am slow today Nov 25, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Sorry Kevin but I don't get this, what do u mean by this?

That you want other people to use Trados because by them using it you get some kind of advantage because it makes them somehow worse off than u?

I really don't see how that could be, please explain.

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Some hints Nov 25, 2009

Generally speaking, the more expensive a CAT tool is, the more popular it will become. Also, if it crashes often, that's a plus.

What is the best CAT tool? It is just a joke, isn't it?

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
I'm for Wordfast Nov 25, 2009

Strange, isn't it, that the strongest opinions on CAT tools are generally harboured by those who don't use them. And yet they're in some way irresistably attracted to the subject of them and apparently can't help joining in the discussion of them, even though their contributions are of no relevance at all to the question raised.

Anyway, I've had some experience with Trados and did find it useful. The reason I've chosen Wordfast is mainly that it costs less and is easier to use. I fi
... See more
Strange, isn't it, that the strongest opinions on CAT tools are generally harboured by those who don't use them. And yet they're in some way irresistably attracted to the subject of them and apparently can't help joining in the discussion of them, even though their contributions are of no relevance at all to the question raised.

Anyway, I've had some experience with Trados and did find it useful. The reason I've chosen Wordfast is mainly that it costs less and is easier to use. I find that it basically does the same for me as Trados, i.e. speeds up translation, ensures consistency, eliminates the risk of accidentally skipping sentences, and in general breaks down large files into smaller, more manageable segments.

I started out with Wordfast Classic and have recently upgraded to Pro. In spite of a few annoying problems now and then, I find that the advantage of both is huge. And yes, I, too, was sceptical at first, but I've come to terms with the fact that the human memory tends to go with time, while CAT tools seem to be constantly improving.
Collapse

Derek Ferrari-Frankland (X)
Derek Ferrari-Frankland (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
MemoQ Nov 25, 2009

Intelligent observation Anna, there are always those traditionalists who confuse MT with CAT tools. If you are translating Goete I would agree that they are less than useless. However, I am a technical translator and our (a company translating over 50 million words a year)investments in them have been well repaid. I started with Trados many years ago, tried Wordfast Classic and Pro and SDLX as many of our LSPs use them. Since I discovered MemoQ I am totally sold on that solution. I recommend to ... See more
Intelligent observation Anna, there are always those traditionalists who confuse MT with CAT tools. If you are translating Goete I would agree that they are less than useless. However, I am a technical translator and our (a company translating over 50 million words a year)investments in them have been well repaid. I started with Trados many years ago, tried Wordfast Classic and Pro and SDLX as many of our LSPs use them. Since I discovered MemoQ I am totally sold on that solution. I recommend to download the demo version from the Kilgray site before buying any other CAT tool.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best CAT tool

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »