How and where can i find glossaries to upload in wordfast?
Thread poster: TQ Translations (X)
TQ Translations (X)
TQ Translations (X)
Local time: 06:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2010

I was wondering is there is any way I can find glossaries to upload in wordfast or across.
Websites?
Services?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why bother? Nov 8, 2010

I've used WF for a few years now and have NEVER found the glossary function useful, or even had time to learn how to use it properly. I tend to rely on dictionaries, internet (including proz) and my own occasionally rusty memory for vocabulary.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There are some reasons to bother with glossaries Nov 8, 2010

For Example you may want to maintain consistent terminology throughout many documents. Also using glossaries helps to save time, in some cases a lot of time.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Paulo Eduardo -  Pro Knowledge
Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:29
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Quality and consistency for starts... I've made my share of mistakes for using "synonyms" ... Nov 8, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

For Example you may want to maintain consistent terminology throughout many documents. Also using glossaries helps to save time, in some cases a lot of time.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

[Edited at 2010-11-08 11:13 GMT]

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Glossary function is included for a reason Nov 8, 2010

I find the glossary function to be vital in assuring that the correct terminology is used. It is often the case that a certain clients have specific terms that need to be translated as they want (e.g. Norton AV do not always use the same terms as McAfee).

Making a glossary is easy. Just make a table of terms and save as text with a tab as a separator. Then just add to the glossary as you work.

And if you work with software help files, it is good to make a glossary file
... See more
I find the glossary function to be vital in assuring that the correct terminology is used. It is often the case that a certain clients have specific terms that need to be translated as they want (e.g. Norton AV do not always use the same terms as McAfee).

Making a glossary is easy. Just make a table of terms and save as text with a tab as a separator. Then just add to the glossary as you work.

And if you work with software help files, it is good to make a glossary file of the translated interface (makes it easy to insert button names, etc.).
Collapse

TQ Translations (X)
TQ Translations (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstanding? Nov 9, 2010

TQ Translations wrote:

I was wondering is there is any way I can find glossaries to upload in wordfast or across.
Websites?
Services?

I was asking if there is any option for downloading glossaries. My question was not if glossaries are useful or not.

Rebecca Woodward
Rebecca Woodward
United States
Local time: 07:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Additional question regarding glossaries and Wordfast Anywhere Aug 17, 2014

I am new to the translation industry and am attempting to learn to use a CAT tool, (Wordfast Anywhere). When creating a glossary in WFA, must one enter the terms one at a time manually, or can you upload an entire glossary all at once? If uploading entire glossaries is possible, must it be only ones you have created, or can you upload them from sites on the web? (It asks for a URL to the glossary, so I wasn't sure which it was.) Thank you for any help in this matter.

Rebecca Woodwa
... See more
I am new to the translation industry and am attempting to learn to use a CAT tool, (Wordfast Anywhere). When creating a glossary in WFA, must one enter the terms one at a time manually, or can you upload an entire glossary all at once? If uploading entire glossaries is possible, must it be only ones you have created, or can you upload them from sites on the web? (It asks for a URL to the glossary, so I wasn't sure which it was.) Thank you for any help in this matter.

Rebecca Woodward
Freelance Spanish-English Translator
Collapse

Andrea Bauer
Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:29
Italian to German
+ ...
Tutorials for Wordfast Aug 18, 2014

Maybe these two tutorials from Youtube may be useful:

1) Converting Word Table Glossary to WF Glossary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nwPNNRREI&list=UUUE6UOKu1XmY92D2tqk6bZQ

2)Converting Excel Glossary to WF Glossary
<
... See more
Maybe these two tutorials from Youtube may be useful:

1) Converting Word Table Glossary to WF Glossary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nwPNNRREI&list=UUUE6UOKu1XmY92D2tqk6bZQ

2)Converting Excel Glossary to WF Glossary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L-pxo58hrM&index=4&list=UUUE6UOKu1XmY92D2tqk6bZQ

So if you find some glossaries that are of interest to you or that you created, it's easy to convert them and add them to your WF glossary.

Good luck with your work!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How and where can i find glossaries to upload in wordfast?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »