Nicole L. R.
Ireland
Local time: 07:03
Member (2008)
Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 10, 2013

Dear all,

Is it possible to translate XML files using Poedit?

If not, can I import it in Word, translate it and export the translation back to an XML file?

Thanks in advance!

Nicole

Yigit Ati
Yigit Ati  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:03
English to Turkish
+ ...
Solution Apr 10, 2013

Hey Nicole,

I've been looking for a solution as well. Many solutions can be found on the Internet but none of them works for me. If you find any working solution, please share it.

You can try and see If the following solution works for you:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3307612/poedit-and-xml-files

Nicole L. R.
Nicole L. R.
Ireland
Local time: 07:03
Member (2008)
Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 10, 2013

Hey Yigit,

It is good to see you here too!

Thank you for the link, I´ll take a look at it.

If I find out about any other possible solutions I´ll post it here for sure.

Have a nice day!

Nicole

Daniel Löfström
Daniel Löfström  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Try the Okapi Framework Apr 10, 2013

There are lots of different ways (especially if you happen to be a programmer, or if you ask one). Many CAT tools can work with XML directly (XLIFF is XML), but if you, for some reason, prefer POedit, you would probably need some kind of failsafe workflow, for preparing the PO files and merging the translation back into the original file.

I would really recommend trying the Rainbow app from the Okapi Framework. It has a feature to create "Translation Kits", that can easily be Post-p
... See more
There are lots of different ways (especially if you happen to be a programmer, or if you ask one). Many CAT tools can work with XML directly (XLIFF is XML), but if you, for some reason, prefer POedit, you would probably need some kind of failsafe workflow, for preparing the PO files and merging the translation back into the original file.

I would really recommend trying the Rainbow app from the Okapi Framework. It has a feature to create "Translation Kits", that can easily be Post-processed by the same app, after translation. Rainbow has a few pre-defined import filters for XML, that you can customise, or you could use the Generic XML filter.

The Okapi Framework has many other great tools as well, for segmenting, quality checking etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML files on Poedit?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »