Thread poster: Animus
Animus
Animus  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
French to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2013

Hi, I'm looking to invest in some more dictionary resources as my current paper dictionary is a bit out of date now, and I'd like to find a good electronic dictionary (digital/CD form, not online) that I can use as a reliable and comprehensive resource. It would also be great if anyone knows any I can download and use without needing a CD drive as mine has currently packed in.

My language combinations are French, Spanish and Portuguese to English so I'd be looking for a dictionary f
... See more
Hi, I'm looking to invest in some more dictionary resources as my current paper dictionary is a bit out of date now, and I'd like to find a good electronic dictionary (digital/CD form, not online) that I can use as a reliable and comprehensive resource. It would also be great if anyone knows any I can download and use without needing a CD drive as mine has currently packed in.

My language combinations are French, Spanish and Portuguese to English so I'd be looking for a dictionary for all three of those, of a general but comprehensive nature. My brief internet searching showed up gran diccionario oxford or oxford spanish dictionary for Spanish and le grand robert collins for French, but struggling with the Portuguese.

Does anyone have any opinions about the dictionaries mentioned above or any suggestions for others? Thanks!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 16:52
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
FRENCH: Robert & Collins Jun 16, 2013

I have been using the Grand Robert on CD-ROM for years, and am delighted with it; should you buy a second-hande version, make sure you get at least v 1.1 (although i think it's been superseded by now), as when I researched mine, I seem to remember there had been a problem with the previous version.
I find it nearly as easy to use as the paper version.
The CD-ROM is naturally licence-protected; while it might be possible for you to copy the files via some other method, I don't know ho
... See more
I have been using the Grand Robert on CD-ROM for years, and am delighted with it; should you buy a second-hande version, make sure you get at least v 1.1 (although i think it's been superseded by now), as when I researched mine, I seem to remember there had been a problem with the previous version.
I find it nearly as easy to use as the paper version.
The CD-ROM is naturally licence-protected; while it might be possible for you to copy the files via some other method, I don't know how you'd go about licensing it; you can install it on multiple machines; BUT it does periodically ask you to insert the original CD-ROM I am not aware of its being available for on-line download, but then again, I haven't looked recently either.
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
there are online versions Jun 16, 2013

you can access "le grand Robert" online with an annual fee and it is affordable; there is also the bilingual Robert&Collins.

http://www.lerobert.com/espace-numerique/enligne.html

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Overcome copy-protection issues Jun 17, 2013

Tony M wrote:

BUT it does periodically ask you to insert the original CD-ROM

You could ask the publisher for an unlock file/key that converts the software into a network-enabled version for ONE user. Some years ago I did that for my Ernst dictionary.

Alternative: You could try a software tool that creates a virtual CD drive on your hard disk. Google for "virtual cd".

[Bearbeitet am 2013-06-17 07:51 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Compatibility issues Jun 17, 2013

I use the old Oxford Superlex dictionary FE-En/ES-EN/DE-EN, but it's only available for XP (32-bit) operating systems. I'm not sure if the same goes for the Routledge Business and Technical dictionari... See more
I use the old Oxford Superlex dictionary FE-En/ES-EN/DE-EN, but it's only available for XP (32-bit) operating systems. I'm not sure if the same goes for the Routledge Business and Technical dictionaries on CD.

http://translation.net/routledge.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/14301-looking_for_the_oxford_superlex_for_windows_eng_spa_dictionary.html
Collapse

Animus
Animus  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 21, 2013

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think I'll go with the Robert et Collins if I can find an affordable CD-rom version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish, Portuguese and French to English Electronic Dictionaries

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »