MoiraB
MoiraB  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:10
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2013

Can anyone recommend the Dictionnaire technique des termes pétroliers, 4ème édition 2012 anglais - français / français - anglais/Technical Dictionary of Petroleum Terms, 4th 2012 English - French / French - English? Claims to have more than 50,000 terms and expressions and covers various energy fields, not just petroleum. Paper dictionaries seem such a huge investment these days (though this particular offer I've received also includes the CD-ROM version too), so it would be nice to have so... See more
Can anyone recommend the Dictionnaire technique des termes pétroliers, 4ème édition 2012 anglais - français / français - anglais/Technical Dictionary of Petroleum Terms, 4th 2012 English - French / French - English? Claims to have more than 50,000 terms and expressions and covers various energy fields, not just petroleum. Paper dictionaries seem such a huge investment these days (though this particular offer I've received also includes the CD-ROM version too), so it would be nice to have some sort of endorsement before forking out.

Thanks,
Moira
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
One from Technip Jun 25, 2013

http://www.amazon.fr/Dictionnaire-pétrole-autres-sources-dénergie/dp/2710809117/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372186904&sr=8-1&keywords=technip%20pétrole

Technip supplies the oil industry, so I tend to trust them. It says on the back cover 80,000 terms and expressions. I find it
... See more
http://www.amazon.fr/Dictionnaire-pétrole-autres-sources-dénergie/dp/2710809117/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372186904&sr=8-1&keywords=technip%20pétrole

Technip supplies the oil industry, so I tend to trust them. It says on the back cover 80,000 terms and expressions. I find it comprehensive and detailed, but I haven't had the time to read it all yet.
It is also helpful for mining, seismic and geology.

I would have liked drawings with part/component lists, but there are some appendices about reservoirs, units used and other interesting stuff.

And it feels good to handle paper on a regular basis.

Philippe
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hello Moira Jun 25, 2013

Could you tell us if the offer you mention is available somewhere on the net or is it a private thing?
Thanx,
Christophe
PS: thanx Philippe for the ref.

MoiraB
France
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, guys Jun 26, 2013

Ah yes, the sweet feel of paper

Christophe, it's an e-mail I received (though I doubt it was personal), which went to my spam box! Same offer not available on the company's website, however. Dicoland (La Maison du Dictionnaire), based in Paris.

Moira

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Also available online Jun 26, 2013

MoiraB wrote:
...Same offer not available on the company's website, however. Dicoland (La Maison du Dictionnaire), based in Paris.

About the same price as my link above on Amazon. You may want to shop around to see if the offer is really an offer.

MoiraB
France
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different dictionary! Jun 26, 2013

Actually I've just realised that Philippe's Amazon link is to another petroleum dictionary. The one I'm talking about is pictured lower down the same page. See http://www.amazon.fr/Dictionnaire-technique-pétroliers-anglais-français/dp/2856082696/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2 - 4th ed. 2012 (cf 2008 for the Technip one).

Moira

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
And... Jun 26, 2013

you may want to have a look at Amazon.com / amazon.co.uk/ amazon.de, etc.
I ordered a book at Amazon-USA for 7€ last week instead of more than a 100€ in Europe!!
Happy shopping!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FR-EN-FR petroleum dictionary any good?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »