Thread poster: Marie Jackson
Marie Jackson
Marie Jackson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:06
German to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2013

Does anyone know of a good trilingual legal dictionary for French, German and English (GB)? I'm in the market for a new set of good CD-Rom or hard-copy dictionaries in this field and am coming up blank. If you don't know of a good trilingual one, can you recommend any bilingual dictionaries with English? I have searched in the forums and found that the Dietl and CoE dictionaries seem to be quite popular, but I'd like to know all my options before I lay out the cash.

Thanks in advan
... See more
Does anyone know of a good trilingual legal dictionary for French, German and English (GB)? I'm in the market for a new set of good CD-Rom or hard-copy dictionaries in this field and am coming up blank. If you don't know of a good trilingual one, can you recommend any bilingual dictionaries with English? I have searched in the forums and found that the Dietl and CoE dictionaries seem to be quite popular, but I'd like to know all my options before I lay out the cash.

Thanks in advance!

- Marie
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:06
Member (2003)
French to English
Monolingual dictionaries Jul 2, 2013

Hi Marie,

From my experience I think you can only go so far with bilingual dictionaries in legal translation. I use the CoE (Bridge) and it's a certainly a good jumping-off point but I probably make more use of e.g. Cornu (Vocabulaire juridique - PUF) for French and Black's (Bryan Garner - Thomson West) for English plus various books on the French legal system etc., to get proper definitions of the concepts involved.

One thing I found interesting that meets your triling
... See more
Hi Marie,

From my experience I think you can only go so far with bilingual dictionaries in legal translation. I use the CoE (Bridge) and it's a certainly a good jumping-off point but I probably make more use of e.g. Cornu (Vocabulaire juridique - PUF) for French and Black's (Bryan Garner - Thomson West) for English plus various books on the French legal system etc., to get proper definitions of the concepts involved.

One thing I found interesting that meets your trilingual criterion is Raymond Youngs' English, French & German Comparative Law (Routledge).

Karen
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quadrilingual Jul 2, 2013

Hi Marie,

I have this one which is in 4 languages (English, French, Dutch, German).

I can't really say whether it's good or not as I haven't made must intensive use of it but it might be one to look at.

http://www.bol.com/nl/c/nederlandse-boeken/e-le-docte/17974/index.html

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Vandale Jul 2, 2013

Vandale puts out a NL/FR/DE/EN electronic dictionary but it uses Dutch as the intermediary language.

It has its limitations, so you may need to cross-reference a few items with other sources, but it's pretty good and rather comprehensive IMO.

Marie Jackson
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jul 3, 2013

Thank you to all of you who took the time to respond. You've given me a few good leads which have lead to more good leads, so I now have a much better idea of the resources available to me. I really appreciate your help.

All the best!

Marie

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
Agree Jul 4, 2013

I agree with posters who say dictionaries will only do so much for you. I do almost all of my work in the legal area and never use dictionaries.

I suggest using some EU institutional websites, including the ECJ, they are multilingual, but always use institutional websites of the specific national system in the target language. For Eng
... See more
I agree with posters who say dictionaries will only do so much for you. I do almost all of my work in the legal area and never use dictionaries.

I suggest using some EU institutional websites, including the ECJ, they are multilingual, but always use institutional websites of the specific national system in the target language. For England and Wales, for example, you might use http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules in the appropriate cases cases.

Many international legal files post study documents on their websites that can be useful. Once you've built up a stock of online resources, everything gets easier!
Collapse

Marie Jackson
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@sailingshoes Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for your comments! I realise a dictionary will only take me so far... I'm really just trying to build up a good collection of resources, since I'm starting with little or nothing. I will definitely keep in mind the official judiciary websites of the countries I'm interested in. Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trilingual legal dictionary (FR/DE/EN)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »