Thread poster: Blanca Collazo
Blanca Collazo
Blanca Collazo  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 26, 2013

What is the difference between CV'c and resumes?

Does anyone have a format for either one? I have a hard time deciding what to include, where to include it, etc.Thanks for your help.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Blanca Jul 26, 2013

Blanca Collazo wrote:
What is the difference between CVs and résumés?

The terms are often used interchangeably, but those who do differentiate often regard the résumé as a shorter document that is more focused on the person's current skills, and the CV (curriculum vitae) as a longer document that includes an overview of the person's whole life.

In the academic field, the term "CV" has a special meaning, namely simply a list of all publications that the person contributed to.

Blanca Collazo
Puerto Rico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 26, 2013

Hello Samuel.
Thank you so much for the clarification. This brings up another question. If a company asks for a CV, must I send a CV, or can I send a résumé?
The second part of my post is asking for a resume format if possible.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Blanca Jul 26, 2013

Blanca Collazo wrote:
If a company asks for a CV, must I send a CV, or can I send a résumé?

I only have a résumé, and if a client asks for my CV, I write "Please find attached my CV/résumé" and attach the résumé.

Blanca Collazo
Puerto Rico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 26, 2013

Once more, thank you. You were very helpful.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Difference Jul 26, 2013

Hi Blanca,

Please take a look at this webpage: you will find all necessary information there:
http://www.success.uwo.ca/careers/resumes_cvs__letters/curriculum_vitae_cvs.html

Natalia

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Sorry, Samuel, I don't agree. Jul 26, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

The terms are often used interchangeably, but those who do differentiate often regard the résumé as a shorter document that is more focused on the person's current skills, and the CV (curriculum vitae) as a longer document that includes an overview of the person's whole life.

In the academic field, the term "CV" has a special meaning, namely simply a list of all publications that the person contributed to.

In my experience, they're different names for the same thing. CV is the term used in the UK, and résumé in the US. Its length, and whether it includes a list of publications, is irrelevant.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Actually it's not as simple as that. Jul 26, 2013

Wikipedia says:

"The résumé is comparable to a curriculum vitae (CV) in many countries, although in English Canada, the United States and Australia a résumé is substantially shorter than a CV."

I used to live in the UK, and now I live in the US. In the UK, customers always asked for my CV, and the term résumé was not used. The prevailing wisdom was that (with certain rare exceptions) a CV should always be short. That would certainly apply to freelance translators.
... See more
Wikipedia says:

"The résumé is comparable to a curriculum vitae (CV) in many countries, although in English Canada, the United States and Australia a résumé is substantially shorter than a CV."

I used to live in the UK, and now I live in the US. In the UK, customers always asked for my CV, and the term résumé was not used. The prevailing wisdom was that (with certain rare exceptions) a CV should always be short. That would certainly apply to freelance translators.

in the US, customers always ask me for a résumé. So if you're sending it to a European client, you should call it a CV, and if you're sending it to a US client, it's a résumé.
Collapse

Blanca Collazo
Puerto Rico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
C/V Résumé Jul 27, 2013

Thank you all. The discussion has been very helpful Do any of you have a sample format you're willing to sure. I'm not sure the way I have mine organized doesn't say much. I have a feeling I'm not getting out the information in a way that outsources want to read it.

Simona Hagiu
Simona Hagiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:21
English to Romanian
Please check this resource Jul 27, 2013

I have read about this subject all week, Let me share with you my conclusion.
The best resource I have found is on Marta Stelmaszak website (www.wantwords.co.uk).

Please find here a direct link to a document on this topic, published yesterday http://www.slideshare.net/MartaStelmaszak

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Example for a CV/résumé Jul 27, 2013

Hi Blanca,
please look at my CV which you can download at www.proz.com/profile/128202. I composed it following the recommendations of Alex Eames in his e-book "Business Success for Freelance Translators".
It is very short but I think it says everything an agency needs to know in order to decide whether to assign me a job or not.
Kind regards, Tilmann

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
US usage complicates matters Jul 27, 2013

philgoddard wrote:
In my experience, they're different names for the same thing. CV is the term used in the UK, and résumé in the US. Its length, and whether it includes a list of publications, is irrelevant.

As you say, Phil, very often CV/resume is the exact same document. But the Americans complicate things by using the term CV themselves, referring to the longer spiel used in academic and research situations, where they go on for pages and pages about every detail of their education and career.

We aren't interested in that "American-style CV" (unless we have to translate one). Our CVs (or resumes if you're American) need to be short, snappy and focused. In fact, they shouldn't really be called CVs at all. A freelancer should really be using another word, such as brochure, or profile, or whatever. But agencies like the term - it makes them feel like the bosses in the relationship.

As for a template, you would do yourself a massive disservice by using one. The only templates you will find are for employees looking for new jobs, and even then they are almost always unsuitable for the job applicant. You need to design your own marketing document - nobody else has your unique set of linguistic background, skills, experience and qualifications. I agree that you should follow Simona's link to Marta's ebook - it's worth reading. I ran a CV workshop for 6 years in France, where I helped over 500 job-seekers with their English-language job applications (genetic engineering researchers; bar staff; company owners; musicians; translators...) and I thoroughly agree with all Marta's recommendations.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
My two random subunits Jul 27, 2013

I agree with the view that it just comes down to US vs UK usage. However, there are some differences in the style of the document between the two cultures.

The UK is more exposed to the continental European trend wherein a CV is basically a list of stuff, basically a tabular collection of personal data with no place for stuff like 'profile statement' or profile whatever for that matter, even though some kind of 'personal objectives' and other instances of awful corporate jargon are
... See more
I agree with the view that it just comes down to US vs UK usage. However, there are some differences in the style of the document between the two cultures.

The UK is more exposed to the continental European trend wherein a CV is basically a list of stuff, basically a tabular collection of personal data with no place for stuff like 'profile statement' or profile whatever for that matter, even though some kind of 'personal objectives' and other instances of awful corporate jargon are found in job seekers' CVs. The quintessential continental CV is the EuroPass, which you might as well use if you go for that type of document and don't know how to get around to it. Following an established standard is like wearing a uniform to work: you don't need to do your own clothes shopping.

Now, as regards the differences, I find them hard to describe in a detailed and precise way, but I tell the one approach from the other quite instantly. For starters, the American version will be less tabular and anorexic. It is also likely to be less intense on colours, fancy borders and stuff like that, while on the other hard more rich in strictly font-related typography. In terms of typography, at any rate, I'd expect an American résumé to outclass a European CV hands down. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see an American professional use a European-style CV instead, so, well, I guess things aren't as simple after all.

Opinions differ as to which of the two kinds is longer. For example, we talked with Marta before she posted the new version of the e-book, and I though American résumés were longer, while she though European CVs were. But perhaps we've been looking at different kinds of CVs.

I suppose the degree of detail you embrace in describing your previous postings, your educational experience and all sorts of things like that is much of a personal matter, as is whether you want to include any sort of narration and other non-data in the top section. Personally, I'm attached to a now-fading view that a CV is no place for marketing (especially low-grade, DIY marketing) and 'grass speak'* by the candidate, which is basically a form of unsolicited advertising.

Plus, I don't even believe 'profile statement' is good English. Not like CV is a place to make statements, not like anyone is interested in them, either. That's more like 'fashion statements' (especially by ordinary citizens who are not celebrities linked with the fashion industry). Unfortunately, the modern business culture has embraced the hystrionic and hysterical features of general modern culture. But I digress, obviously.

* 'Grass speak' ('mowa trawa') is a Polish idiom for low-quality language that doesn't convey any concrete meaning to justify the space it takes. A lot of business lingo fits in there.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Short and sweet, i.e. CTC in your CV Jul 28, 2013

I think Samuel, Phil et al have expained the difference pretty thoroughly. My own attitude is that "brevity is the soul of wit"... so I try to keep mine to one page whenever possible. As Sheila says, "short, snappy and focused".

I'd also take Łukasz's approach and comments about "grass speak" into account. I think your CV/resumé should be as brief as possible and avoid the indignity of unashamedly touting oneself, or spouting business jargon about missions, profiles and "persona
... See more
I think Samuel, Phil et al have expained the difference pretty thoroughly. My own attitude is that "brevity is the soul of wit"... so I try to keep mine to one page whenever possible. As Sheila says, "short, snappy and focused".

I'd also take Łukasz's approach and comments about "grass speak" into account. I think your CV/resumé should be as brief as possible and avoid the indignity of unashamedly touting oneself, or spouting business jargon about missions, profiles and "personal objectives", all of which make my toes curl.

[Edited at 2013-07-28 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

Mahdieh Kandoei
Mahdieh Kandoei  Identity Verified
United States
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you :) Jul 28, 2013

Simona Hagiu wrote:

I have read about this subject all week, Let me share with you my conclusion.
The best resource I have found is on Marta Stelmaszak website (www.wantwords.co.uk).

Please find here a direct link to a document on this topic, published yesterday http://www.slideshare.net/MartaStelmaszak

thank you so much for sharing these links. VERY HELPFUL.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resume/CV: what is the difference?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »