CAT textbook recommendations?
Thread poster: Mariam Abdullah
Aug 21, 2013

Hello,

I'm looking for CAT textbooks, I've found some textbooks on machine translation and computational linguistics but nothing on computer assisted translation..

What do universities that teach CAT use as textbooks??

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:08
German to English
manuals? Aug 21, 2013

they probably just use the CAT manuals, etc. Get in touch with the universities that do translation courses and ask them. Probably most don't use CAT in the translation courses or teach it.
Even the ITI still expects upcoming translators to work without Internet access.....!
best of luck with your research

Raúl FERNANDEZ
Raúl FERNANDEZ  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:08
French to Spanish
+ ...
Cat Tools Bibliography Aug 21, 2013

Hi Mariam,

Here there is a list that I use:

Austermühl, F. (2001). Electronic Tools for Translators. Manchester: St. Jerome.
Gazdar, G. & Mellish, C. (1989). Natural Language Processing in Prolog. An Introduction to Computational Linguistics. Wokingham: Addison Wesley.
Hatim, B. & Munday, J. (2004). Translation. An Advanced Resource Book. London and New York: Routledge.
Munday, J. (2001) Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications
... See more
Hi Mariam,

Here there is a list that I use:

Austermühl, F. (2001). Electronic Tools for Translators. Manchester: St. Jerome.
Gazdar, G. & Mellish, C. (1989). Natural Language Processing in Prolog. An Introduction to Computational Linguistics. Wokingham: Addison Wesley.
Hatim, B. & Munday, J. (2004). Translation. An Advanced Resource Book. London and New York: Routledge.
Munday, J. (2001) Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications. London and New York: Routledge.
Rico Pérez, C. (2008). “Translation and Project Management”. En Translation Journal, Vol. 6, No. 4, octubre 2002
Somers, H.L. (2003). Computers and Translation: A Translator’s Guide. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Best regards,
Raúl
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:08
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
User Manuals Aug 22, 2013

Why don't you just read the user manuals that come with each CAT tool? They are available for downloading on the websites of the software companies that make each CAT tool.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:08
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Reading list for University of Leeds and other clarifications Aug 22, 2013

Heather McCrae wrote:

Probably most don't use CAT in the translation courses or teach it.

I think translations courses are likely to include CAT training nowadays. Just try Googling CAT modules translation university to see.

Even the ITI still expects upcoming translators to work without Internet access.....!

If you're talking about the IoL and DipTrans, then I agree. The ITI, however, certainly expects its upcoming translators to use the Internet.

Back on topic, here's the reading list of the Leeds CAT module that I happened to come across on Twitter this morning:
http://lib5.leeds.ac.uk/rlists/broker/?bbModuleId=201314_19959_MODL5000M&bbListId=_2138573_1

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT textbook recommendations?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »