Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:49
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nov 20, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I want to have a PDF typed, so I can translate it from a Word document. FineReader doesn't do the job well enough. The text is rather technical.

I have found some online services, but they seem to focus mainly on price (and probably will be using OCR as well). I'm looking for a good and fast service rather than a cheap one.

Hence my question: Can you recommend such a service provider from personal experience?

Source language i
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I want to have a PDF typed, so I can translate it from a Word document. FineReader doesn't do the job well enough. The text is rather technical.

I have found some online services, but they seem to focus mainly on price (and probably will be using OCR as well). I'm looking for a good and fast service rather than a cheap one.

Hence my question: Can you recommend such a service provider from personal experience?

Source language is English.

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-20 09:00 GMT]
Collapse

Sabrina Bruna
Sabrina Bruna  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Good typist myself Nov 20, 2013

Hi,

You are looking for a service provider in this respect, I must say I am a very good typist myself so if you are interested, you could send an e-mail to my account with the PFD file to be typed in Word file so that I can have a look at it and give you my estimate time of delivery and cost.

Meanwhile have a nice day,

Sabrina

Tony Bennjamin
Tony Bennjamin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:49
Member (2013)
Indonesian to English
+ ...
What Trados did you use Nov 20, 2013

efreitag wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

If you are using the Trados 2011 or 2014, it can help you to do the translation. But, you need to do the 2nd job, whic is to tidy it up.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio and complicated PDF? No, thank you! Nov 20, 2013

dudeboss wrote:

If you are using the Trados 2011 or 2014, it can help you to do the translation.

Thank you, but no, it certainly can't. I'd prefer to find a typist (and then use Studio 2014).

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No it can't Nov 20, 2013

dudeboss wrote:

efreitag wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

If you are using the Trados 2011 or 2014, it can help you to do the translation. But, you need to do the 2nd job, whic is to tidy it up.

If the pdf is a scanned document, and I have a very strong feeling that it is, Trados won't be able to do anything with it. It doesn't have OCR. Even if it had built-in OCR, it would be crazy to expect better results from it than Finereader, and the OP has already stated that Finereader doesn't do a good enough job on the file.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 10:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
My daughter Nov 20, 2013

efreitag wrote:
I want to have a PDF typed

My daughter (yes, Meta Arkadia) provides that very service. CAT tool ready. Just drop her a message at:

meta
AT
hansvandenbroek
.eu

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-11-20 10:28 GMT]

Sue Maatz
Sue Maatz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
OCR Nov 20, 2013

Hi Erik,

can't help you with a typist but I found that with OCR, assuming that it is a scanned or faxed document and therefore causing the problems, it sometimes helps to "straighten" out the document in PhotoShop or some program like that.

I also do graphics work so if you want me to have a look, I'd be happy to help.

Kind regards,
Sue

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No OCR Nov 20, 2013

Dear all,

Thanks for offering help, but I'm really looking for a solution that avoids any kind of OCR. I am fully aware of the possibilities OCR offers.

Kind regards,
Erik

Adam Jarczyk
Adam Jarczyk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Give me some more information ... Nov 20, 2013

efreitag wrote:

Dear all,

Thanks for offering help, but I'm really looking for a solution that avoids any kind of OCR. I am fully aware of the possibilities OCR offers.

Kind regards,
Erik

Hello Erik,

Depending on the size of the document and the envisaged turnaround time and financial circumstances I may have a suggestion for you.

If you are interested, send me mail through proZ.com and let me know how long the document is, what you can afford for the service you seek and when you need it done, other than simply "as soon as possible".

Kind regards,
Adam

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:49
German to English
Secretarial service / German Craigslist Nov 20, 2013

I agree with your apprehension regarding online services. Surely there must be some sort of secretarial service near where you live, but this might be too expensive. Or try the German Craigslist. I found a very competent office assistant on Craigslist.

Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Try voice recognition software Nov 20, 2013

Voice recognition software is great at typing what you say, practically at the speed you say it. Needs training with unfamiliar ("technical") words.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
Please send me the PDF... Nov 20, 2013

and let me give it a try. My system might help.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 21, 2013

Thank you all for the posts and private messages!

The job has been placed.

Kind regards,
Erik

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a reliable typist

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »