Thread poster: A_Lilie
A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 18:39
Japanese to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2019

I'm looking to replace the online and free CAT tool I'm currently using with a new and preferably offline one. At the moment I'm using memsource and I like that it gives me a pre-translation for Japanese to German, which does save me some time. I'd prefer a tool in which I can edit matches in the TM, though, as memsource has certain words it always gives a wrong match for, which is annoying, but I don't see a way to edit the TMs there. Also I'd very much prefer switching from an in browser tool ... See more
I'm looking to replace the online and free CAT tool I'm currently using with a new and preferably offline one. At the moment I'm using memsource and I like that it gives me a pre-translation for Japanese to German, which does save me some time. I'd prefer a tool in which I can edit matches in the TM, though, as memsource has certain words it always gives a wrong match for, which is annoying, but I don't see a way to edit the TMs there. Also I'd very much prefer switching from an in browser tool to offline software.

I have tried Wordfast, but it did not translate from Japanese to German, and neither could Trados Studio. This is a must have feature for me, though. I would very much prefer to have to pay another MT service monthly to have this feature, especially since Trados and Wordfast are not exactly cheap either. I'm sure that the generic out of the box MTs aren't nearly as good as, for example, a paid DeepL MT, but I'd at least want to have the option to use a pre-translation without further costs. Also, I only use the tool every few months for some projects, which is why I'd preferably not want to commit to monthly subscriptions for anything.

So, what I'm looking for is a CAT tool that has:
- basic MT Japanese to German included in price
- can import and edit TMs
- is not an in browser online tool.

If anyone happened to know a CAT tool like that, or has any other tips I didn't know about, I'd be really happy!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What do you mean? Sep 24, 2019

A_Lilie wrote:

I have tried Wordfast, but it did not translate from Japanese to German

Wordfast, like any CAT tool, does not translate. The translator does. Do you understand the difference between computer-aided translation and machine translation?

A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Sep 24, 2019

esperantisto wrote:

A_Lilie wrote:

I have tried Wordfast, but it did not translate from Japanese to German

Wordfast, like any CAT tool, does not translate. The translator does. Do you understand the difference between computer-aided translation and machine translation?

Of course I do. And I asked if anyone knew a CAT tool with an integrated feature for machine translation, which some have, albeit not very often with Japanese to German, which I am looking for.

Wordfast does support pre-translation (MT), but only with a paid subscription, as far as I could tell. Trados offers an out of the box MT for some languages, but unfortunately not mine.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
OmegaT plus web MT services Sep 24, 2019

A_Lilie wrote:

So, what I'm looking for is a CAT tool that has:
- basic MT Japanese to German included in price
- can import and edit TMs
- is not an in browser online tool.

The Deepl is not supporting Japanese language.
In OmegaT can be made set-up to connecting to free MyMemory and Yandex and to commercial services, too.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2019-09/24/en/00.html

CAT tool with MT option for Japanese to German

Japanese to German and to Czech

01 MT for Japanese to German
02 Japanese to German and to Czech
03 OmegaT and My Memory
04 OmegaT and Yandex

Papago shows English text.

Milan

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Anaphraseus… Sep 25, 2019

…can also use online translation services such as Google Translate, Microsoft Translate, Yandex Translate.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@A_L Sep 25, 2019

A_Lilie wrote:
I have tried Wordfast, but it did not [machine] translate from Japanese to German [for free], and neither did Trados Studio.
This is a must have feature for me, though. I would very much prefer [not] to have to pay another MT service monthly to have this feature...

As far as I know, the free limit for MyMemory is 10 000 words per day, if you register an e-mail address.
https://mymemory.translated.net/doc/usagelimits.php
...and some CAT tools do offer MyMemory (for example, OmegaT).

Also, I think you'll find that most paid machine translation services are actually very cheap. For example, Google Translate's "premium" service costs USD 0.00002 per word (so it could be just a few cents per month).

There are also free programs that offer machine translation of the clipboard via a hotkey. For example: https://quest-app.appspot.com/download

esperantisto wrote:
Anaphraseus can also use online translation services such as Google Translate, Microsoft Translate, Yandex Translate.

Only MyMemory (10 000-word limit) and Microsoft Translate are free services in Anaphraseus, though.

[Edited at 2019-09-25 09:38 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant? Sep 25, 2019

In CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant you can use: Google Translate, MyMemory, Microsoft Translate and Yandex:

Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 11.59.55

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Google and Yandex, too Sep 25, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Only MyMemory (10 000-word limit) and Microsoft Translate are free services in Anaphraseus, though.

Incorrect. There are Google Translate and Yandex Translate, too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool with MT option for Japanese to German

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »