Thread poster: Reka Virag
Reka Virag
Reka Virag
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2020

Hi there,

I'm super keen on idioms, proverbs, sayings, fixed expressions and the like (hereafter: idioms) so I've been collecting them for a few years now in various languages. The collections has several hundred idiom pairs (the same idiom at least in two different languages, but I have many of them in up to 5 languages. Each entry/language has three sections: Form, Definition, Example (and some special features like false friends, synoyms and antonyms, etc). Lately, I've been cons
... See more
Hi there,

I'm super keen on idioms, proverbs, sayings, fixed expressions and the like (hereafter: idioms) so I've been collecting them for a few years now in various languages. The collections has several hundred idiom pairs (the same idiom at least in two different languages, but I have many of them in up to 5 languages. Each entry/language has three sections: Form, Definition, Example (and some special features like false friends, synoyms and antonyms, etc). Lately, I've been considering making it publicly available, and I wonder if there was a need for / interest in this. I was thinking in an online dictionary or also offering up particular language pairs in Excel files.

My questions, then, are,
1. How often do you come across idiomatic expressions in your translation work (like, regularly, often, every now-and then, hardly ever and in what fields),
2. Would you find such a dictionary helpful, and
3. Altogether, what do you think of the idea?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Reka
Collapse

Silvia Pellacani
expressisverbis

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Good Idea! Oct 3, 2020

Reka Virag wrote:

1. How often do you come across idiomatic expressions in your translation work (like, regularly, often, every now-and then, hardly ever and in what fields),
2. Would you find such a dictionary helpful, and
3. Altogether, what do you think of the idea?

1. Every now and then - mostly in marketing, but also in general and conversation, of course.
2. When I need it, I love finding these expressions explained and connected on the web!
3. The idea sounds super. Of course, it all depends on the execution, but your section list seems a promising starting point.

Apart from being useful, I think that this is a fascinating subject for any linguist. The German linguist Elisabeth Piirainen, for instance, published a study on these "widespread idioms" in 2012.

Sara Massons
expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:48
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, good idea Oct 3, 2020

I occasionally come across idioms etc., particularly in marketing texts, and haven't yet found a good place for looking up translations, so yes, it would be helpful.

How about including it into Wiktionary, which already has the structure for links to translations and handling multiple l
... See more
I occasionally come across idioms etc., particularly in marketing texts, and haven't yet found a good place for looking up translations, so yes, it would be helpful.

How about including it into Wiktionary, which already has the structure for links to translations and handling multiple languages?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Criteria_for_inclusion#Idiomatic_phrases
Collapse

Sara Massons
expressisverbis

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:48
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Very good idea Oct 12, 2020

I also have idioms to translate from time to time and I'd love to have a single place to look them up. I have a small and old paper dictionnary of idioms which is not very convenient to use. It would also be much interesting for creative projects.
Maby you can get in touch with Beaumont on freelang.net, who already did some work on some basic
... See more
I also have idioms to translate from time to time and I'd love to have a single place to look them up. I have a small and old paper dictionnary of idioms which is not very convenient to use. It would also be much interesting for creative projects.
Maby you can get in touch with Beaumont on freelang.net, who already did some work on some basic expressions: https://www.freelang.net/expressions/index.php. I used to volunteer on his website, at the very begining in year 2000... he is quite a nice guy.
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:48
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also find a very good idea, and a very useful resource Oct 12, 2020

This is a subject that always drew my attention, and I come across idioms, proverbs, and sayings quite often.
A few days ago, I have posted a question about idiomatic expressions. This is one of the main and more difficult aspects for translators, but the most challenging!
Amongst other online resources, for English to Portuguese, for ex., I use Michaelis Idiomatic Expressions in Engli
... See more
This is a subject that always drew my attention, and I come across idioms, proverbs, and sayings quite often.
A few days ago, I have posted a question about idiomatic expressions. This is one of the main and more difficult aspects for translators, but the most challenging!
Amongst other online resources, for English to Portuguese, for ex., I use Michaelis Idiomatic Expressions in English / Portuguese Dictionary:
https://books.google.pt/books?id=boS6DQAAQBAJ&pg=PT2&hl=pt-PT&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

[Edited at 2020-10-12 10:49 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary website exclusively for idioms and Co - multilingual

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »