Thread poster: Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Local time: 10:03
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mar 2, 2018

I am currently testing WFP 5 on Mac (High Sierra, new model, 16 GB RAM) and I am experiencing some problems:

The confirmation of a segment is really slow (6 K words' project, empty TM) and takes up to 2 or more seconds. This is too slow (generally speaking, even for default settings). As WFP is a java program, I assume there is some way to increase the allocated RAM, but how? I know where to find the package info of the app, but mayxbe I oversaw the corresponding file.

... See more
I am currently testing WFP 5 on Mac (High Sierra, new model, 16 GB RAM) and I am experiencing some problems:

The confirmation of a segment is really slow (6 K words' project, empty TM) and takes up to 2 or more seconds. This is too slow (generally speaking, even for default settings). As WFP is a java program, I assume there is some way to increase the allocated RAM, but how? I know where to find the package info of the app, but mayxbe I oversaw the corresponding file.

I also observed there is no possibility to increase the font of the auto-complete pop-up. With a Retina display, it is no fun to use the standard fonts, but while I was able to set most of them, the impossibility to increase this font size is a bit annoying.

Bonus question: Is there no way to change the standard windows layout (TM and TB at the bottom)? I remember WFP 3 having draggable windows, this was a miracle, but I assume WFP 3 has certain disadvantages compared to its modern sibling.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance.
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Some answers Mar 2, 2018

I'm not sure if you can hack the files to increase RAM on Mac. I know you can do this on PC. Have you tried the solutions here: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Common_problems_with_Wordfast_Pro_5

Maybe you have some sync program that is slowing things down? This happened to me once (Google Drive constantly re-syncing TMs, etc.).

For the font size,
... See more
I'm not sure if you can hack the files to increase RAM on Mac. I know you can do this on PC. Have you tried the solutions here: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Common_problems_with_Wordfast_Pro_5

Maybe you have some sync program that is slowing things down? This happened to me once (Google Drive constantly re-syncing TMs, etc.).

For the font size, this is a good improvement request that you can submit to the development team via the Help icon (WFP Feedback).

Unfortunately, the TM lookup and terminology panes are stuck where they are. The good news is that you can undock the Live Preview window.

Best,
John
Collapse

Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... and some more points, just in case Mar 8, 2018

Unchecking some options did the trick, but it is not really fast yet.

There are some more points I stumbled upon

• the edit status (confirmed) in txlf files is not saved when working on external files (sdlxliff) – after reopening them all is gone
• the status of segments in external sdlxliff or mqxliff files (edited or confirmed) is not imported
• the sdlxliff files do not have the status "Confirmed" after exporting them (all other tools I know have
... See more
Unchecking some options did the trick, but it is not really fast yet.

• the edit status (confirmed) in txlf files is not saved when working on external files (sdlxliff) – after reopening them all is gone
• the status of segments in external sdlxliff or mqxliff files (edited or confirmed) is not imported
• the sdlxliff files do not have the status "Confirmed" after exporting them (all other tools I know have)
• the menu fonts cannot be customized (but there should be a limit to avoid a puzzled desktop)
• it is a pity that the GUI is so static, but why then are the glossaries then not side by side instead of one on the other
• similar things then for the TM – the selection of columns is not remembered, and they take a lot of width – why aren't eg. TM name, Last modified and score not grouped together (and as a kind of – in most cases – secondary info they could get a smaller font size of their own)?
• I am unsure if I did everyhting right, but neither Studio TMs nor TBs from packages are imported, right?
• the feedback feature should allow to send a copy or an automatic receipt with the content to myself, else it feels like punching in cotton. I do not care to be contacted (some peers do), but now I even do not know which of these points I mentioned there already and which ones not
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Tickets for a lot of this Mar 14, 2018

Hi Rox-Edling,
Sorry, didn't see your reply…

When you clean-up, it should change all statuses to "Translated" as per the filter setting under Preferences / Current Project Preferences / Filters / SDLXLIFF.

• the status of segments in external sdlxlif
... See more
Hi Rox-Edling,
Sorry, didn't see your reply…

When you clean-up, it should change all statuses to "Translated" as per the filter setting under Preferences / Current Project Preferences / Filters / SDLXLIFF.

Not sure about this, probably needs to be ticketed for improvement. Why would you need to know? If you are a reviser, shouldn't you receive the file with all of the segments confirmed? If you are a translator, shouldn't you verify each segment before finalizing the translation and sending it back (cleaned with all statuses marked as confirmed)?

• the sdlxliff files do not have the status "Confirmed" after exporting them (all other tools I know have)

See comment above. Now I am confused… is it "Translated" or "Confirmed" or are they two different types of status?

• the menu fonts cannot be customized (but there should be a limit to avoid a puzzled desktop)

Not sure what you mean, which menus?

• it is a pity that the GUI is so static, but why then are the glossaries then not side by side instead of one on the other

Could be improved to offer this option, but I imagine it will create problems for long words or multiple-word entries (for example, where should the column divider be?).

• similar things then for the TM – the selection of columns is not remembered, and they take a lot of width

This is fixed in an upcoming release.

– why aren't eg. TM name, Last modified and score not grouped together (and as a kind of – in most cases – secondary info they could get a smaller font size of their own)?

Personally, I hide the columns with secondary info. If I need to see it (rarely), I hover over it. For the most part, I only show Source, Target, Score, and Creation User.

• I am unsure if I did everyhting right, but neither Studio TMs nor TBs from packages are imported, right?

Ticketed already for improvement.

• the feedback feature should allow to send a copy or an automatic receipt with the content to myself, else it feels like punching in cotton. I do not care to be contacted (some peers do), but now I even do not know which of these points I mentioned there already and which ones not

That is a good point. We just improved the feedback report in the upcoming release (5.4, still in beta). Unfortunately, it still doesn't send a copy to you.

Thanks for your feedback,
John
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP 5: Allocate more RAM, customize font

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »