The University of Ferrara is one of the oldest in Italy. It was founded in 1391 by Alberto V, Marquis of Este, and granted by Pope Boniface IX. At the beginning of the 20th century, the University of Ferrara had over 500 students, marking it as the most popular of the independent Italian universities. During the Fascist period, in 1934, the school of Pharmacy was upgraded to a Faculty.
This added to the three existing faculties of Law, Medicine and Surgery, and Science.
After the Second World War, all Italian universities underwent major changes, linked to the gradual increase in students and the creation of new Faculties.
Between 1968 and 1969, the Faculty of Education was opened. This was subsequently renamed Literature and Philosophy. Thus we reach a total of five Faculties with thirteen degree courses, to which we must add the two-year engineering course.
The most recent expansion took place during the ‘90s, with the opening of three new Faculties: Architecture, Engineering and Economics.