Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Does the place you live in influence the amount of work you receive?
Thread poster: Yolanda Otero Alonso
Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:46
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Aug 14, 2007

Hi,
I don't think living in a small place rather than a big city has any impact, as long as both are in your target language country.
However, my experience shows that living in a country which is neither the source language country or the target language country has a negative impact on potential clients. I am an English into Italian translator and I lived in Israel for 8 years. Since I moved back to Italy the amount of job offers from international clients (not local ones) has incr
... See more
Hi,
I don't think living in a small place rather than a big city has any impact, as long as both are in your target language country.
However, my experience shows that living in a country which is neither the source language country or the target language country has a negative impact on potential clients. I am an English into Italian translator and I lived in Israel for 8 years. Since I moved back to Italy the amount of job offers from international clients (not local ones) has increased dramatically. You would think that international clients don't care about where you live. Well, this is not true, there is a kind of "psychological" factor that make them prefer some locations vs. others. In your case, however, you should be fine.

Laura
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Direct clients Aug 14, 2007

Bin Tiede wrote:

Definately you have a much better chance to win end clients in a metropolis like Madrid through such jobs as interpreting, language teaching for companies located there. Once you gain the trust of your clients, they will approach you with translation work as well.

But for agencies, I see no reason why they should fancy translators in big cities more than those in small towns.

Best,
Bin

This is very much the case with German language customers from Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It is always interesting to note how many agency orders are for end customers in the direct proximity of the agency (be it a small or large city). Indeed, I often wonder whether these guys just take a look in the local yellow pages.

Because of the geographically decentralised nature of the German economy and the hign number of SMEs in the market, I am pretty sure that I could in fact gain a lot more direct customers were I to live over there.

[Edited at 2007-08-14 13:03]

Sophie Blachet (X)
Sophie Blachet (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Maybe ... Aug 14, 2007

what interest agencies or clients is the currency ...
Effectively, even if I live in the US I accept Euro on a European Bank Account so I noticed that some agencies worked with me because (i) they like my work (ii) they can pay me in euro.

After a while, it was asked me where I live as a courtesy ... but that's it !

Do not worry !

Just live where you will feel comfortable :-0)

Sophie

Banumathy Sridharan
Banumathy Sridharan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:16
English to Tamil
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe, if you move to a different country..... Aug 25, 2007

Laura Gentili wrote:

Hi,
However, my experience shows that living in a country which is neither the source language country or the target language country has a negative impact on potential clients. I am an English into Italian translator and I lived in Israel for 8 years. Since I moved back to Italy the amount of job offers from international clients (not local ones) has increased dramatically. You would think that international clients don't care about where you live. Well, this is not true, there is a kind of "psychological" factor that make them prefer some locations vs. others. In your case, however, you should be fine.

Laura

Hi,

I don't think it really matters in your case.

My experience has been similar to Laura's. I'm an English to Tamil translator. I lived in Denmark for 3 years and though Tamil is my native language, didn't get much work. A couple of years ago I moved back to India and now I get more work (sometimes more than I can handle), mostly from international clients........native language+target country works better.

Good Luck,
Banu

[Edited at 2007-08-25 11:05]

[Edited at 2007-08-25 12:18]

Yolanda Otero Alonso
Yolanda Otero Alonso  Identity Verified
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Sep 7, 2007

Sorry for this late reply, but thank you all very much for taking time to answer and share your experiences.

Best regards,
Yolanda.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the place you live in influence the amount of work you receive?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »