Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Eugenia Morris
Eugenia Morris
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:07
English to Russian
+ ...
MT2007 Nov 2, 2010

There is a nice free CAT. It is called MT 2007, it can be downloaded from their website. It has also alignment facilities ("TextAlign.exe"):

http://mt2007-cat.ru/Eng/index.html

It reminds me DejaVu a bit. It is easy to use and unlike our "buzzed out "Big T" it never comes up saying about any problems or mistakes.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Champollion not Champollion's Nov 2, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

I don't think this is Yves' aligner.

Indeed, the name misled me.
Here's an academic paper on it that I just found. The author is called Xiaoyi Ma.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Segmentation Nov 2, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
As for converting text to "one sentence per line", that is not a problem -- many CAT tools can do that when they do text extraction. Wordfast Classic's Extract feature produces a file with one segment per line.

If you can give me a brief howto on that, I'll drop it in my aligner's readme as an alternative segmentation mode on the off chance that somebody prefers WF segmentation to the built-in segmenter. You can do this on texts of any size with a trial version, right?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extraction using WFC Nov 2, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
As for converting text to "one sentence per line", that is not a problem -- many CAT tools can do that when they do text extraction. Wordfast Classic's Extract feature produces a file with one segment per line.

If you can give me a brief howto on that, I'll drop it in my aligner's readme as an alternative segmentation mode on the off chance that somebody prefers WF segmentation to the built-in segmenter. You can do this on texts of any size with a trial version, right?

AFAIK you can use a demo version of WFC for this (the only limit on the demo version is the size of the active TM). Open the file in MS Word. In the WFC Control Panel (the little "F"), go to Tools, then go to Tools, and click Extract. Then follow the prompts. The file named WfExtracted.txt is the one you want. You can also extract from multiple files, but you can't really control the order in which the files are processed, so that isn't useful for alignment. Also, you can configure the segmentation settings in WFC itself (otherwise it defaults to the settings for English).

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Added Nov 6, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

AFAIK you can use a demo version of WFC for this (the only limit on the demo version is the size of the active TM). Open the file in MS Word. In the WFC Control Panel (the little "F"), go to Tools, then go to Tools, and click Extract. Then follow the prompts. The file named WfExtracted.txt is the one you want. You can also extract from multiple files, but you can't really control the order in which the files are processed, so that isn't useful for alignment. Also, you can configure the segmentation settings in WFC itself (otherwise it defaults to the settings for English).

Thanks, I added this to the readme and released the new sw:
www.sourceforge.net/projects/aligner

MOG
MOG
Local time: 19:07
English to French
Correction about YouAlign Nov 16, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
Aligner.bat by FarkasAndras (uses Hunalign to create TMs from earlier translations or other bilingual texts. Output: tab delimited txt and TMX. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/)

Aligner.bat attempts to align the two files, but if there are mismatches, well, the user guide gives instructions about how to fix misalignment errors. The instructions are... copy the files' content to Excel in two columns and fix the misalignment in Excel. Once the user has corrected misalignments in Excel (or in whatever other program), the TMX_creator.bat can be used to create the TM.

YouAlign (online) http://www.youalign.com/

This tool requires that the user pre-segment the text and pre-align the segments in some other program (e.g. two text editors open side by side, perhaps) before uploading the files. There is no interactive fixing of misalignments. The tool shows a two-column preview of what has been created, but the user can't fix things that didn't align correctly.

The web site says:
Text units from the source and target documents must be perfectly synchronized (aligned). For example, if the source document has more text units than the target document an error will be generated.
http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Sentence_Alignment_Step

In other words, same as ABBYY and YouAlign... it's not really an aligner. Aligner.bat is half an aligner because it allows the user to fix misalignments in mid-process, but... the user has to fix misalignments in a separate, third-party program with much copy/pasting.

Correction about YouAlign

YouAlign does not require to pre-align document prior to aligning them, god forbids. If YouAlign is not a real aligner, well...none is. Despite the fact that it does not offer an alignment editor yet (will be added eventually), YouAlign offers very reliable output. Bear in mind that YouAlign is a free but limited version of the excellent AlignFactory.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any free aligners out there?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »