Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends Dec 8, 2010

It is not the frequent asker as such that annoys me, it is the asker (frequent or otherwise) who leaves his/ her profile blank, keeps questions open and neither chooses an answer nor thanks answerers for their effort. Also, I can't stand those askers who choose obviously wrong answers and whose questions are frankly pointless.

I don't really care about people's question-answer ratio as long as they are polite. I have seen frequent askers who come up with interesting questions, have
... See more
It is not the frequent asker as such that annoys me, it is the asker (frequent or otherwise) who leaves his/ her profile blank, keeps questions open and neither chooses an answer nor thanks answerers for their effort. Also, I can't stand those askers who choose obviously wrong answers and whose questions are frankly pointless.

I don't really care about people's question-answer ratio as long as they are polite. I have seen frequent askers who come up with interesting questions, have some info about themselves in their profile and do thank translators who help them. That is enough in my book.

The worst KudoZ offender to me was a person who may have asked for help too many times but who had answered hundreds of questions as well, accumulating many KudoZ points of her own. How was this possible? I simply don't know. Despite having a university degree and several years experience she asked about an IT term that could have easily been found in a dictionary. Seriously, she hadn't bothered looking it up first.

I answered and included a link of reference to an online dictionary. There was another answer though, it was clearly wrong, misleading and ta da!... that was the one to be chosen by this clueless asker, just because an equally clueless Certified PRO member agreed with it. I never filter askers but I do remember their user names so that I won't ever have the misfortune of helping them. In these situations if people are that inept they don't deserve to call themselves translators at all.

I would just like to point out that most of the people I have tried to help via KudoZ have been polite: sometimes my answers have been chosen, sometimes better alternatives have been selected. There have been just a couple of askers who have got on my nerves and of course, there are many more askers I have never bothered replying to because of the way they have treated their answerers.

[Edited at 2010-12-08 23:46 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

questions asked - 600, questions answered - 0

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »