Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:21
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nov 2, 2010

Without mentioning any names...

Certain people periodically appear in Kudoz asking for translations for a string of questions which, when put together, would constitute a complete translation of a paragraph. It seems that this does not infringe any rules because the Moderators never stop these people from doing this.

So...

Is there any **simple** one-click way to simply block all Kudoz questions posted by a particular user?

Fran Cesca
Fran Cesca
Italy
Local time: 18:21
English to Italian
+ ...
:) Nov 2, 2010

I was wondering the same...

[Modificato alle 2010-11-02 12:01 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2010-11-02 12:02 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Filter them Nov 2, 2010

Filter them out of your life:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=dashboard&sp_mode=kudoz&sp_kudoz_mode=flagsandfilters&target_eid=644820

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Use your KudoZ dashboard Nov 2, 2010

Hi Tom,

As Emma points out, just as you can choose to be notified when a KudoZ contributor asks a question, you can also decline notification of certain users' questions by setting your preferences through your KudoZ dashboard.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Lucia

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 2, 2010

THanks Lucia !

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Filtering multiple questions/rule bypass Nov 2, 2010

I submitted a support ticket some weeks ago as this person was asking more than one term at a time. I realised this was being done in order to circumvent the limit on number of questions permitted. The response was 'I see no need for action from staff'. Ticket closed.

Ho hum

Suzi

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
hmmm Nov 2, 2010

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I submitted a support ticket some weeks ago as this person was asking more than one term at a time. I realised this was being done in order to circumvent the limit on number of questions permitted. The response was 'I see no need for action from staff'. Ticket closed.

Ho hum

Suzi

I didn't mention a name but I think we may be referring to the same person.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
clairvoyance Nov 2, 2010

No name mentioned ...................oh PURLEEZE!

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
What constitutes "term help" Nov 2, 2010

Hello Susanna,

I just checked the support request you submitted and I see that no action was needed on the question you were reporting as it did not include more than one term but a single term made of four words. For more information on what constitutes a KudoZ term, please read this FAQ.

Also, please let me remind you all of forum rule 4,
... See more
Hello Susanna,

I just checked the support request you submitted and I see that no action was needed on the question you were reporting as it did not include more than one term but a single term made of four words. For more information on what constitutes a KudoZ term, please read this FAQ.

Also, please let me remind you all of forum rule 4, which states that replies in forums should not stray from the posted topic.

If you would like to report any form of KudoZ abuse, please feel free to do so via the support system.

Thanks!

Lucia
Collapse

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Question for site staff... Nov 2, 2010

When someone gets filtered, do they see a message saying "21 member(s) of Proz.com have chosen to filter out your questions."?

That way, the abuser would know that their actions have a consequence. (Not that they'd care or anything, but it would make me feel better.)

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Filtering KudoZ askers and reporting abuse Nov 2, 2010

Hello ryancolm,

I am afraid that no such message is shown to filtered askers as filters should be used when you think a certain member is not likely to ask questions that are of interest to you, and this may be related to several reasons.

In any case, like explained above, if you believe a KudoZ asker is abusing the KudoZ system, you can, of course, filter such asker. But, you should also report this to moderators or site staff via the appropriate channels so that actio
... See more
Hello ryancolm,

I am afraid that no such message is shown to filtered askers as filters should be used when you think a certain member is not likely to ask questions that are of interest to you, and this may be related to several reasons.

In any case, like explained above, if you believe a KudoZ asker is abusing the KudoZ system, you can, of course, filter such asker. But, you should also report this to moderators or site staff via the appropriate channels so that action can be taken if needed.

Lucia
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Colin Ryan (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks, Lucia... Nov 3, 2010

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello ryancolm,

In any case, like explained above, if you believe a KudoZ asker is abusing the KudoZ system, you can, of course, filter such asker. But, you should also report this to moderators or site staff via the appropriate channels so that action can be taken if needed.

Lucia

Thanks for your reply, Lucia.

Colin Ryan (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
I've filtered the person in question Nov 3, 2010

We all know who it is. I'd just like to say here, in public, that following yet another disgraceful display this morning from the peer in question, I've followed Tom in London's example and filtered the peer on my Kudoz dashboard.

Has anyone else done so?

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dilemma: No rules broken officially but still a case of abuse Nov 3, 2010

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello ryancolm,

Lucia

When someone blitzes a language pair with the max 15 questions a day, all on the same doc and does this for the max no. of days a week allowed, this strikes others as abuse. However this person isn't breaking any site rules, just offending others by this display of unprofessional, disgraceful behaviour. So reporting it is of no use because no action will be taken if rules aren't being broken. However if colleagues quote rules/guidelines 2.1 and others, urging this person to try looking things up, using a dictionary, searching the www and basically try doing his/her own work for a change, this is breaking the rules and then action will be taken.
Can't a compromise be found? The person whom many of us may have in mind doesn't even restrict this behaviour to a single language pair. Can't something be done?
Filtering won't make the problem go away or even slow him/her down. Imo, the only way to do that is to NOT ANSWER any questions. But that's another topic ....

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to filter KudoZ questions asked by specific askers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »