Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:24
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2010

Everything seems to have gone very quiet about GBK (Glossary Building KudoZ).

When it started, it sounded like a great supplement to the somewhat random way the glossary from ´help´ KudoZ was growing.

To my disappointment, I was not able to take part in the initial stages, because only translators who have registered that they work into the target language were allowed to do so.
This excluded a great many English native speakers, especially members of the ATA, C
... See more
Everything seems to have gone very quiet about GBK (Glossary Building KudoZ).

When it started, it sounded like a great supplement to the somewhat random way the glossary from ´help´ KudoZ was growing.

To my disappointment, I was not able to take part in the initial stages, because only translators who have registered that they work into the target language were allowed to do so.
This excluded a great many English native speakers, especially members of the ATA, CIoL and ITI, who regard it as against their code of conduct to translate from one's native language into an acquired language.

When finally allowed to, I did take part when time permitted, until I temporarily stopped all KudoZ notifications over the summer break. When I came back, I reactivated everything - so I thought - but have not seen any GBK notifications since. All the other KudoZ questions come in as normal, but there seems to be no GBK activity at all.

Of course, anyone who wants to add a supplement to ´help´ KudoZ can set up a personal glossary, and maybe that is the way to go.

Does anybody else miss GBK, or is it just being quietly dropped?
I was hoping there would be more activity and it would grow considerably - as it would need to in order to become a useful glossary.
Obviously, it was very time consuming, so I can understand if resources are being channelled elsewhere, but I wondered...

[Edited at 2010-11-23 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:24
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It's "temporarily on hold" Nov 23, 2010

I began to wonder myself a week ago or so and found this post:

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/121306-glossary_building_kudoz_gbk:_a_new_kind_of_kudoz_question-page7.html

Best regards
Stanislaw

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A planned review of Kudoz... hopefully to make it more strict? Nov 23, 2010

I sincerely hope they are noticing the loss of quality in the help available in Kudoz lately and start to make things more strict, maybe combining the qualities of GBK into normal Kudoz.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Stanislaw! Nov 23, 2010

So for the time being, we can all earn lots of BrowniZ by adding terms to our personal glossaries.

I hoped that eventually members could propose terms for GBK that would fit in with Kudoz.
For instance those questions you never asked, because you did actually find the answer yourself, but it was tough. They could make ´sets´ with the terms in KudoZ and fill in gaps.

Some of those terms would be a great help to others later.

People who give up on Kud
... See more
So for the time being, we can all earn lots of BrowniZ by adding terms to our personal glossaries.

I hoped that eventually members could propose terms for GBK that would fit in with Kudoz.
For instance those questions you never asked, because you did actually find the answer yourself, but it was tough. They could make ´sets´ with the terms in KudoZ and fill in gaps.

Some of those terms would be a great help to others later.

People who give up on KudoZ can still contribute through glossaries. There is no peer grading or discussion of personal glossaries, and no points, but the terms can be found when searching the KudoZ Open Glossary.
Knowing who has added a glossary is often recommendation enough, and it is always necessary to check that the term fits the context...

OK, I will watch for further develoments!

And Tomás, I heartily agree too.

[Edited at 2010-11-23 11:14 GMT]
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Kudoz help Nov 23, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I sincerely hope they are noticing the loss of quality in the help available in Kudoz lately and start to make things more strict, maybe combining the qualities of GBK into normal Kudoz.

Keep hoping, Tomás, I'm glad someone still is. Maybe it's an ideal match though, and obviously this is not a blanket criticism as there are so many excellent answerers in Kudoz, some of the askers are getting the answers in line with their questions.

GBK is surely linked to this too.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It started out as a great concept Nov 23, 2010

Colleagues and I tried to answer the questions according to the rules: 3 different solid references, samples and such. Then I noticed that colleagues started to answer such questions on the usual "I was first!!" basis. Aha. So it works just as well WITHOUT providing all the references and such. Then I noticed that the categories at times were disturbingly weird. Example: Plain technical questions relating to the design and printing industry were listed in "Journalism". Apparently the creators of... See more
Colleagues and I tried to answer the questions according to the rules: 3 different solid references, samples and such. Then I noticed that colleagues started to answer such questions on the usual "I was first!!" basis. Aha. So it works just as well WITHOUT providing all the references and such. Then I noticed that the categories at times were disturbingly weird. Example: Plain technical questions relating to the design and printing industry were listed in "Journalism". Apparently the creators of such questions couldn't tell journalism and DTP apart. There were other examples where I could have answered the question in my sleep due to my university degree, but I wasn't allowed to because the "category" didn't match my specialty fields.

I lost interest.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to GBK?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »