How to check the amount of Kudoz questions left for Paid member? Any chance to have more?
Thread poster: Vitals
Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:26
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Dec 3, 2010

Dear all,

1) I have recently run into a situation where I did not know how many Kudoz questions I could ask for at that particular day. As far as I understand I can only ask 15 questions per week (out of 60 per month). But, for example, how will I know WHEN my week is up and I can ask more? Is there a statistical page somewhere which tells me: ok, you started your limit of 15 questions on Dec. 1, you have asked them all, so now, please, wait until Dec. 8? Or - tomorrow you will be a
... See more
Dear all,

1) I have recently run into a situation where I did not know how many Kudoz questions I could ask for at that particular day. As far as I understand I can only ask 15 questions per week (out of 60 per month). But, for example, how will I know WHEN my week is up and I can ask more? Is there a statistical page somewhere which tells me: ok, you started your limit of 15 questions on Dec. 1, you have asked them all, so now, please, wait until Dec. 8? Or - tomorrow you will be able to ask two more questions? Sth like that.

2) What if I use all my 15 questions, but I urgently need more... Is there a way to "buy" more questions with, for example, Browniz or any other means?

Thank you in advance.

Yours,
VS
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Daily limit for paying members Dec 3, 2010

As a Paying member, you may ask 15 KudoZ per day (not per week).

2.2 - Is there a limit on the number of questions that I can ask? [Direct link]

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15). There are also weekly limits of 20 questions for registered non-members and 60 questions for members. If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking.
http://www.proz.com/faq/2812#2812

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 07:26
SITE STAFF
Limit waivers for members Dec 3, 2010

Hello VS,

At the top of the form at http://www.proz.com/ask/ , you should see an indication of at least the open questions you have and when they were asked.

Members may request a waiver of their asking limit if needed, at no cost, by just submitting a support request to ask for one.

Jared

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:26
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To sum up... Dec 3, 2010

Thank you, Yolanda and Jared, for your quick responses.

Here is what I could draw from your answers for my situation as a paid member:

1) Paid member can ask up to 15 questions per day, not per week
2) Paid member's weekly limit is 60 questions
3) A waiver can be requested via a support ticket for more questions, if needed

Have a great day!
VS

[Edited at 2010-12-03 17:11 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
KudoZ questions Dec 3, 2010

In my opinion, one should not need to ask more than 25-30 questions per YEAR if one is translating things within one's areas of expertise.

[Edited at 2010-12-03 17:33 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Any limits to the number of waivers? Dec 4, 2010

Jared wrote:

Hello VS,

At the top of the form at http://www.proz.com/ask/ , you should see an indication of at least the open questions you have and when they were asked.

Members may request a waiver of their asking limit if needed, at no cost, by just submitting a support request to ask for one.

Jared

Hi Jared.
I find this a rather disappointing development. It basically undoes the hard and long fought for limits that were finally put in place and once again favours Askers over everyone else. Plus there are lot of not very positive implications if someone needs to ask more than 15 questions in a single day.
Does this mean that we should see this as an official announcement that the 60 questions-a-week limit has been removed for those willing to become paying members? Is this now the official response to the latest forum discussion on this issue ( http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/184394-how_to_filter_kudoz_questions_asked_by_specific_askers.html )?

[Edited at 2010-12-04 09:43 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Any limits to the number of waivers? Dec 4, 2010

Hi Writeaway

this side of kudoz system is clearly a shame for this network, but instead of asking for some unfeasible limit, why not simply stop answering to unfair peers?

for example, stop answering to peers claiming that "what's the colour of the Napoleon's white horse" and "white" are a PRO query/question
(quite amazing, somebody says even "dapple-yellow", sometimes )

... See more
Hi Writeaway

this side of kudoz system is clearly a shame for this network, but instead of asking for some unfeasible limit, why not simply stop answering to unfair peers?

for example, stop answering to peers claiming that "what's the colour of the Napoleon's white horse" and "white" are a PRO query/question
(quite amazing, somebody says even "dapple-yellow", sometimes )

doing so, the system used by unfair peers that aren't the only peers here will implode on itself, automatically

Claudio
Collapse

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:26
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreed Dec 4, 2010

writeaway wrote:

Jared wrote:

Hello VS,

Jared

Hi Jared.
I find this a rather disappointing development. It basically undoes the hard and long fought for limits that were finally put in place and once again favours Askers over everyone else. Plus there are lot of not very positive implications if someone needs to ask more than 15 questions in a single day.

I concur 100% with writeaway on this. Call me naive and/or stupid, but I find it VERY difficult to imagine a scenario where a GOOD professional translator, accepting jobs which he/she feels properly qualified to do, would EVER want to ask anything like 15 questions in one day, so I fail to understand why such a waiver should be offered by the site.

Perhaps Jared or one of the site staff would be kind enough to explain the reasoning behind this waiver.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Incredible Dec 4, 2010

I had no idea that the possibility of waiver existed and agree with Writeaway et al that this, and not for the first time, casts doubt on the Kudoz system. 15 questions surely implies a lack of subject knowledge - unless anybody who does so would like to explain the reason behind this number of queries.......I'm curious as to why you would need to do so.
Thanks

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This is not new, guys Dec 4, 2010

This system had been in place for years, AFAIK. I am not sure how many waiver requests are submitted at what frequency, and whether they are granted unconditionally and/or repeatedly to the same people, but I would imagine if too many of these support requests were to come in, something would have been done by now.

Perhaps Jared could shed a light on this - Jared, do you have any statistics to share here?
The numbers could help prevent overreaction, or alternatively, show if
... See more
This system had been in place for years, AFAIK. I am not sure how many waiver requests are submitted at what frequency, and whether they are granted unconditionally and/or repeatedly to the same people, but I would imagine if too many of these support requests were to come in, something would have been done by now.

Perhaps Jared could shed a light on this - Jared, do you have any statistics to share here?
The numbers could help prevent overreaction, or alternatively, show if there is indeed a problem.
Katalin
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

stop answering Dec 4, 2010

I agree with Claudio completely. I fail to understand why anyone would assist those who aspire to complete jobs clearly beyond their capabilities and who use the KudoZ system instead of dictionaries.

Claudio Porcellana wrote:
...why not simply stop answering to unfair peers?
for example, stop answering to peers claiming that "what's the colour of the Napoleon's white horse" and "white" are a PRO query/question...

or those who claim to professionally translate from English yet can't tell the difference between "paying member" and "paid member"...

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Because Dec 4, 2010

Hi Ildiko, some presumably answer because you can pick up fish in a barrel Kudoz points ......yes, guilty as charged, I used to do this too before I had an unwelcome attack of conscience pricking.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
you can pick up fish in a barrel Kudoz points Dec 4, 2010

frankly, I can't believe that outsourcers are so absent-minded to overlook evidences left on the scene of the kud.., ahem the crime, by certain unfair translators ...

Claudio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to check the amount of Kudoz questions left for Paid member? Any chance to have more?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »