Inconsistent censorship of discussion entries
投稿者: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
米国
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Jan 9, 2011

This post is not really about the need for censorship - we've discussed this many times before. I believe there is far too much of it, and we should be allowed to say whatever we like, within the bounds of courtesy.

But have you noticed how inconsistent it is? We can go on ad nauseam about the weather or our pets' health, and no moderator will censor us for indulging in non-linguistic discussion. But if you say anything polite but negative (eg 'It would have been far quicker and ea
... See more
This post is not really about the need for censorship - we've discussed this many times before. I believe there is far too much of it, and we should be allowed to say whatever we like, within the bounds of courtesy.

But have you noticed how inconsistent it is? We can go on ad nauseam about the weather or our pets' health, and no moderator will censor us for indulging in non-linguistic discussion. But if you say anything polite but negative (eg 'It would have been far quicker and easier to Google this than to post a question on KudoZ'), it gets censored either as non-linguistic discussion, or, more ridiculously, as 'offensive and/or personal'.

So it's OK to say positive irrelevant things, but not negative irrelevant things.

What do you think?
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 17:56
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Quite so Jan 9, 2011

philgoddard wrote:

But have you noticed how inconsistent it is? We can go on ad nauseam about the weather or our pets' health, and no moderator will censor us for indulging in non-linguistic discussion. But if you say anything polite but negative (eg 'It would have been far quicker and easier to Google this than to post a question on KudoZ'), it gets censored either as non-linguistic discussion, or, more ridiculously, as 'offensive and/or personal'.

So it's OK to say positive irrelevant things, but not negative irrelevant things.

What do you think?

I have noticed this, too, though I would not characterise what you term 'negative' as anything other than 'positive professional criticism'. It is not negative per se, nor is it offensive or particularly personal to my mind. Finding offence, here, as elsewhere in life, is a personal choice. Unless something is really personally defamatory and/or threatening to one's reputation or career, I would hope that a mature response would not be to claim offence. Those who choose to be truly negative verbally or in print generally end up shooting themselves in the foot by doing so and can safely be left to it more often than not without the need for offence to be taken.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:56
サイトのスタッフ
Use the support system to report instances where you feel rules are being enforced inconsistently Jan 10, 2011

ProZ.com site rules govern the use of and participation in the various site areas, including KudoZ: http://www.proz.com/rules/

One of these rules, http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/8#8 , states:

Discussion of administrative actions taken by moderators or site staff should be carried out solely via the site's online support system. Administrative actions include rules enforcement actions in the forums and KudoZ, warnings or restrictions on posting or other rights, editorial adjustments to topic subject lines, the locking of certain forum threads, selection of topics to be featured on the home page, etc.

On the subject of "censorship", let me quote FAQ
http://www.proz.com/faq/5651#5651 , which was written for the forums but which can be applied to ProZ.com in general:

What about freedom of speech? There should not be censorship in the forums.

The forums are limited in scope and subject to rules. It is important to know that the site rules and scope have been in place for some time now, and they are there and enforced precisely in the interest of maintaining a positive, results-oriented workplace. The only way for this to happen is for those rules and the scope to be enforced consistently, and that is what moderators and site staff do.

This said, it should be noted that, within the framework of site rules and the aim of those rules, not everyone is going to be able to say whatever they want at ProZ.com. Keeping a positive, results-oriented translation workplace means that posters will not be able to swear, or to talk politics, or make offensive remarks in the forums, for example. There are other places to do that. Everyone has valid opinions, views and statements; but it should not be assumed that ProZ.com can be used to advertise these.

If you feel you have received rules enforcement action which was not rules-based, please report this to site staff through the support system, where the issue can be properly reviewed. The forums are not an appropriate channel for discussing individual rules enforcement issues.

If you feel the application of site rules has been inconsistent, please report this via the support system, where site staff may appropriately investigate and react where necessary. I'm closing this thread, to allow discussion of this to go through the proper channel-- the support system.

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inconsistent censorship of discussion entries

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »