Suggestion: Ability to target translators with a given target language, irrespective of source l.
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:08
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jan 31, 2011

Dear colleagues and staff,

I would like to suggest that Kudoz askers be given the possibility to adress questions to translators with a given target language, irrespective of their source languages.

This seems particularly useful for monolingual questions, for example about the connotations of a term.

I have made the experience that very few proz members have listed EN-EN (to give an example) as their working language directions. When I am asking for the e
... See more
Dear colleagues and staff,

I would like to suggest that Kudoz askers be given the possibility to adress questions to translators with a given target language, irrespective of their source languages.

This seems particularly useful for monolingual questions, for example about the connotations of a term.

I have made the experience that very few proz members have listed EN-EN (to give an example) as their working language directions. When I am asking for the explanation of nuances a given term implies in a special context, I won't really need the translation into my target language. Instead, input from a colleague whose native language is my source language will be helpful. It would be nice to be able to address them directly, rather than having to limit the question to anwerers who work in my language pair, or to those few that have listed EN-EN as their working language directions.

The effect is even worse in other languages.

Any thoughts are welcome,
kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2011-01-31 14:28 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-01-31 21:03 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-01-31 21:05 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Flaßbeck (X)
Andrea Flaßbeck (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Great idea Jan 31, 2011

I think this would be a real improvement to the KudoZ system. I definitely support this idea!

Cheers,
Andrea

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Same here! Jan 31, 2011

Andrea Flaßbeck wrote:

I think this would be a real improvement to the KudoZ system. I definitely support this idea!

Cheers,
Andrea

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Definitely with you Feb 1, 2011

Good idea, would be a very useful forum indeed!

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Agree Feb 1, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_directory/16553-possible_to_find_native_speakers_irrespective_of_their_source_language.html#107230

Maybe it'll be noticed this time
Cilian

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It works! Feb 1, 2011

Some of my early Kudoz were acquired in Dutch. Quite frankly, I'd have no idea on how to say "Good morning" in Dutch, however the askers were looking for some answers in my #1 specialty - human resources management - for EN-NL. I explained them in English what those words/expressions meant, to make their research easier. Apparently it worked.

Ulrike MacKay
Ulrike MacKay  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good thinking, Batman! Feb 1, 2011

Would be great to see this implemented soon - thanks in advance!

[Bearbeitet am 2011-02-01 14:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Ability to target translators with a given target language, irrespective of source l.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »