Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Anthony Feb 21, 2011

Anthony said:

"No, being a paying member does not mean you are qualified, but not being one definitely says something about your professional abilities just like not owning a computer or not using CAT tools."

I am not a paying member and I do not use CAT tools, although I do own a computer.

So, Anthony, in your opinion, what would that definitely say about my professional abilities? I'd be interested in hearing your answer.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:53
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Why don't I feel responsible? Feb 21, 2011

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

Please see
1.11 - Warum müssen Übersetzer für die Mitgliedschaft bezahlen und nicht die Unternehmen, die nach ihnen suchen? [Direct link]

You pay this platform for the bad agencies as well by being a paying member. So you can't disregard them completely even if you don't interact with them.

Gudrun

No I'm not.

I'm using a place/resource and I am paying a rent for it.

Such agencies can post their jobs anywhere; bad agencies actually run away from ProZ because of the Blue Board. They prefer other boards.

Btw, you have quite a number of KudoZ points, so I see you've also been contributing to this site. In this aspect more than me.

[Edited at 2011-02-21 18:23 GMT]

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
German to English
+ ...
My experience Feb 21, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

Helen Shiner wrote:

I have so often received the best help on this site, specifically with Kudoz questions, not to mention built the best professional connections, with people who are not site members.

This is not the case in my experience on ProZ, whatsoever.

Perhaps we all have different experiences on here, so I'd be less categorical.

Also, I'd suggest to be more objective with motivations and drives and not disregard chasing for brownies points or having their work done, portion by portion, on KudoZ.

I spoke entirely about my own experience - the clue is in the 'I' at the beginning of the sentence.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Literally, yes. Feb 21, 2011

Helen Shiner wrote: I spoke entirely about my own experience - the clue is in the 'I' at the beginning of the sentence.

Why didn't you refer to my other points? You are taking irrelevant bits out of context.

I prefer arguments to sarcasm.

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
No sarcasm Feb 21, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

Helen Shiner wrote: I spoke entirely about my own experience - the clue is in the 'I' at the beginning of the sentence.

Why didn't you refer to my other points? You are taking irrelevant bits out of context.

I prefer arguments to sarcasm.

I prefer not to be misrepresented.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I wasn't talking about you? Feb 21, 2011

Helen Shiner wrote:

You are using double standards then..

Yes, all people ( including nonpaying members) who are active on the site are contributing to the site. However, the site is funded from cash, nothing else will keep it alive.

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
No double standards Feb 21, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

Helen Shiner wrote:

You are using double standards then..

Yes, all people ( including nonpaying members) who are active on the site are contributing to the site. However, the site is funded from cash, nothing else will keep it alive.

Where did I suggest that people should not pay? It is entirely their own affair what they chose to do. You suggested I was not objective and was too categorical. I objected to that. If you did not intend to do so, then perhaps you could adjust what you wrote to make that clear. I fail to see where I am supposed to be using double standards.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Quote. Feb 21, 2011

Helen Shiner wrote:
Where did I suggest that people should not pay? It is entirely their own affair what they chose to do. You suggested I was not objective and was too categorical. I objected to that.

You said, quoting:

"

I guess this is because those people who have the least need of Proz.com membership, are conversely the most willing to offer guidance, assistance and genuine help.

"

This is categorization. In some cases perhaps true, in other cases totally untrue. But you implied it's an absolute truth.

I think you idealized some people's motives for giving assistance on KudoZ.

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Categorisation Feb 21, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

Helen Shiner wrote:
Where did I suggest that people should not pay? It is entirely their own affair what they chose to do. You suggested I was not objective and was too categorical. I objected to that.

You said, quoting:

"

I guess this is because those people who have the least need of Proz.com membership, are conversely the most willing to offer guidance, assistance and genuine help.

"

This is categorization. In some cases perhaps true, in other cases totally untrue. But you implied it's an absolute truth.

I think you idealized some people's motives for giving assistance on KudoZ.

Firstly, my sentence starts with 'I guess' which means it is a guess/an approximation and thus no categorisation. Secondly, it is evident from the context you have removed that I am speaking about my own experience and the particular people who have contacted me. Thirdly, who are you to say that I have idealised their motives for giving ME assistance on Kudoz. How about talking solely about your own experience and allowing others to express their own opinions in response to the original poster?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sure, I'm talking from my experience only.. Feb 21, 2011

Helen Shiner wrote:
Firstly, my sentence starts with 'I guess' which means it is a guess/an approximation and thus no categorisation. Secondly, it is evident from the context you have removed that I am speaking about my own experience and the particular people who have contacted me. Thirdly, who are you to say that I have idealised their motives for giving ME assistance on Kudoz. How about talking solely about your own experience and allowing others to express their own opinions in response to the original poster?

You saw "I", and " I think" and similar opening my sentences..

Where's the problem?

Btw, I didn't see "them helping YOU" in your original version, you added it now. You were talking about them giving assistance on KudoZ in general, you were not mentioned as the object ( in your last sentence; it's pretty evident).

But I won't go further into this, I feel as if I'm in a courtroom. Not even sure why some people get so steamy about KudoZ, usually always the same people.

[Edited at 2011-02-21 19:55 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:53
SITE STAFF
Locking thread Feb 22, 2011

Hello all,

This topic appears to have run its course and begun to head for unproductive waters, so I am ending it here. Thanks for your understanding.

Jared

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal that non-members not be allowed to vote on Kudoz answers

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »