Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 04:35
English to Spanish
Mar 12, 2011

EXAMPLE:
ADB Overlord XYZ Promoted to…
XYZ, Jefe Supremo de ADB, fue ascendido a…

COMMENT: Interesting to find that while in Spanish there is a feminine noun for the English word overlord, in that language the voice ‘overlady’ is not a word at all, even in the wildest dreams of an actively enthusiastic feminist.
Es interesante descubrir que mientras en español hay un sustantivo femenino para la voz inglesa ‘overlord’, en ese idioma la palabra ‘over
... See more
EXAMPLE:
ADB Overlord XYZ Promoted to…
XYZ, Jefe Supremo de ADB, fue ascendido a…

COMMENT: Interesting to find that while in Spanish there is a feminine noun for the English word overlord, in that language the voice ‘overlady’ is not a word at all, even in the wildest dreams of an actively enthusiastic feminist.
Es interesante descubrir que mientras en español hay un sustantivo femenino para la voz inglesa ‘overlord’, en ese idioma la palabra ‘overlady’ no existe en absoluto, ni aun en los sueños más imaginativos de una feminista afiebrada.

By the way, the best translation I have found for this word in Spanish, in this context, is ‘Jefe Supremo’ and luckily in Spanish a ‘Jefa Suprema’ would perfectly fit; to even the game for the feminists, actively enthusiastic or not.

A propósito, la mejor traducción que he encontrado para la esta palabra en español, en este contexto es ‘Jefe Supremo’ y afortunadamente en español una ‘Jefa Suprema’ encajaría perfectamente; para equilibrar el juego para las feministas, afiebradas o no.

I hope it helps you all out there,
Collapse

imatahan
imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feminist or not... Mar 14, 2011

Feminist or not, we have to admit that many titles have no feminine designation.

In Brazil, we've recently created Presidenta, similar to Argentina, becaused women assuming direction and powerful positions is indeed recent in Latin America, in contrast with European countries where the History shows many queens in charge.

Live languages change to comply with what people has to or wants to express.

Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 04:35
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
overlady Mar 14, 2011

The point remains that in English there is an overlord but there is no overlady. Will they include that voice in their language?

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
German to English
Context is all Mar 15, 2011

The reason English doesn't have the word "overlady" is that the word "overlord" belongs to the Middle Ages, when the lords in positions of power over lots of other people were indeed all men. Personally I have never heard "overlord" used in a modern business context (which is what I suppose "jefe supremo" is about - I don't enough Spanish to know what the implications of the term are). English has lots of modern terms that aren't gender-specific - CEO, head, chair, president, director etc. etc. ... See more
The reason English doesn't have the word "overlady" is that the word "overlord" belongs to the Middle Ages, when the lords in positions of power over lots of other people were indeed all men. Personally I have never heard "overlord" used in a modern business context (which is what I suppose "jefe supremo" is about - I don't enough Spanish to know what the implications of the term are). English has lots of modern terms that aren't gender-specific - CEO, head, chair, president, director etc. etc. so the need for "overlady" doesn't really arise.Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:35
Spanish to English
Well put, Amorel Mar 15, 2011

Indeed, outside of computer games and history books, there is no use for this word at all.

English is not an easy language to make gender-friendly. In truth I think the word "man", in old English was not limited to the male of the species, but that does not stop it reinforcing stereotypes in the modern world.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:35
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
It's easier to count feminine specific, Mar 16, 2011

Armorel Young wrote:

The reason English doesn't have the word "overlady" is that the word "overlord" belongs to the Middle Ages, when the lords in positions of power over lots of other people were indeed all men. Personally I have never heard "overlord" used in a modern business context (which is what I suppose "jefe supremo" is about - I don't enough Spanish to know what the implications of the term are). English has lots of modern terms that aren't gender-specific - CEO, head, chair, president, director etc. etc. so the need for "overlady" doesn't really arise.

such as authoress, poetess, stewardess, hostess, to name a few which I can think of right now, but I have rarely come across the first two words in daily life. Do we still call J.K. Rowling an authoress today?

[Edited at 2011-03-16 07:35 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On gender and translating

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »