Hoy! I just earned one Kudoz point for an answer in a language....
Thread poster: Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Local time: 08:07
Jan 3, 2007

... that is neither native nor working language to me!

What am I supposed to do now?

1- Never again respond to Kudoz questions involving that langauge?

But I love doing it!

So maybe...

2- Do respond to questions in that language but always add a note like this:

PLEASE DO NOT GRANT ME ANY KUDOZ ON THIS. I LOVE ANSWERING QUESTIONS IN THIS LANGUAGE PAIR BUIT I'D LIKE TO EARN A KUDOZ IN CONNECTION WITH ONE OF MY WORKING
... See more
... that is neither native nor working language to me!

What am I supposed to do now?

1- Never again respond to Kudoz questions involving that langauge?

But I love doing it!

So maybe...

2- Do respond to questions in that language but always add a note like this:

PLEASE DO NOT GRANT ME ANY KUDOZ ON THIS. I LOVE ANSWERING QUESTIONS IN THIS LANGUAGE PAIR BUIT I'D LIKE TO EARN A KUDOZ IN CONNECTION WITH ONE OF MY WORKING LANGUAGES FIRST!

Please advise?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-03 19:49]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-03 19:50]
Collapse

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Weedaminute weedaminute.... Jan 3, 2007

... I do get a Kudoz in one of my working languages -- well you know, there are two languages in a pair of languages...

But the question remains open. What do I do now?

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
How to do it Jan 3, 2007

1. Go to your personal KudoZ points page.

2. Click on the "Point totals" tab.

3. The first table on this page is "KudoZ Points /By language pair". At the bottom of the table you will see "Hide selected from point summary:". Put a check mark in the box beside the language combination(s) for which you want to hide your KudoZ history.

4. Click the "Save" button.

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
I can't seem to earn any Kudoz point in connection with that language any way? Jan 3, 2007

Not *officially* any way - apparently.

Thanks for those clearly written instructions, GoodWord.

I followed them - tried to follow them (after I checked into old format) but I could not complete them because the page you say reads that I haven't earned any Kudoz points.

I did get notification that I earned Kudoz points (one!). But the language I refer to (neither native nor working) is not ticked in any fashion in my profile and so I guess that's wh
... See more
Not *officially* any way - apparently.

I followed them - tried to follow them (after I checked into old format) but I could not complete them because the page you say reads that I haven't earned any Kudoz points.

I did get notification that I earned Kudoz points (one!). But the language I refer to (neither native nor working) is not ticked in any fashion in my profile and so I guess that's why the one lonely Kudoz point they said I earned fails to show up on the page you refer to or - I guess- anywhere in my profile.

OK, but what do you think about what I should do re. answering Kudoz questions in connection with that language?

Sometimes I feel that the asker is perhaps irritated by my participation, and so I quickly withdraw.

But other times, the asker seems not to mind, or even appreciate my participation in the process.

There... and thank you again.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:07
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hello Malik Jan 3, 2007

I'm not sure I understand well your question.

My personal opinion is that you have to ask yourself:
- do you deserve those points?
- is your answer correct?
- did you help the asker?

If you answer yes to one, two or three of these questions, you can keep answering.

BUT I must warn you that many kudoz users do not approve at all those who answer in languages in which they are not natives. For this reason there exists an option to limit who
... See more
I'm not sure I understand well your question.

My personal opinion is that you have to ask yourself:
- do you deserve those points?
- is your answer correct?
- did you help the asker?

If you answer yes to one, two or three of these questions, you can keep answering.

BUT I must warn you that many kudoz users do not approve at all those who answer in languages in which they are not natives. For this reason there exists an option to limit who answers to your own question, you can chose just to let natives or people working in that pair.

If your answer is just a guess, or wrong or it's fun for you but doesn't help the asker, avoid answering. It will be of no good for anybody and you'll get some ennemies.

Congratulations for your first KudoZ point.

Claudia
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:07
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
How are KudoZ points updated? Jan 3, 2007

Malik Yenigelen wrote:

I did get notification that I earned Kudoz points (one!). But the language I refer to (neither native nor working) is not ticked in any fashion in my profile and so I guess that's why the one lonely Kudoz point they said I earned fails to show up on the page you refer to or - I guess- anywhere in my profile.

Please have a look at http://www.proz.com/faq/kudoz#kudoz_pointsupdate

25. ANSWERING: How are KudoZ points updated?

KudoZ point totals shown in some places throughout the site are updated once daily, whereas those in other places are updated in real time. So there can be temporary discrepancies, but correction is made when all points are counted once per day.

Members can force the system to update their points in real time. Go to your KudoZ points summary page and click on "Update points totals now".

I updated you total manually.

Regards,
Enrique

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:07
German to English
Professionalism Jan 3, 2007

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

BUT I must warn you that many kudoz users do not approve at all those who answer in languages in which they are not natives. For this reason there exists an option to limit who answers to your own question, you can chose just to let natives or people working in that pair.

If your answer is just a guess, or wrong or it's fun for you but doesn't help the asker, avoid answering. It will be of no good for anybody and you'll get some ennemies.

Dear Malik - I applaud your enthusiasm and honesty. These pointers might be helpful:

1. If you're referring to the English to French question, the reason you got one point was because the asker goofed. She thought she could give you one point and maybe 3 points to the answerer whose solution she preferred.

2. I second Claudia's concerns about answering questions in languages you don't master. I would recommend that you always preface your answers in these language pairs with a disclaimer: I am not a native speaker of the target language, and my solution may not be entirely acceptable for a professional translation, but I think my proposal may help.

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you GoodWord, thank you Enrique... and Claudia... Jan 3, 2007

... I was finally able to implement GoodWord's procedure.

Optimal results: The lonely Kudoz point does show up (and I kinda like that) but the details about languages and subjects that are nowhere to be seen in my "About me" or "key words" don't show up.

Thaks again.

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Claudia, Kim Jan 3, 2007

Thank you both.

Kim wrote:

".. If you're referring to the English to French question, the reason you got one point was because the asker goofed. She thought she could give you one point and maybe 3 points to the answerer whose solution she preferred. ..."

Kim, if this is going to help at all, I hereby authorize proz.com staff to delete that Kudoz point, however, only upon request of the asker. (And it was French-to-English, by the way.)

Claudia, yes, I think the answers to all those three questions you pose is yes. And I think your guidelines are good ones.

And, Kim, thanks again, for your Paragraph #2. The disclaimer you propose reads a bit too legalistic (right words?) or too business-like in the context of me responding to Kudoz questions in connection with French language; but it also sounds better than my "PLEASE DON'T GRANT ME KUDOZ POINTS..." type of message. I'll try to come up with something between those two notions.

Bottom line? I'll probably keep doing as I have been doing, most of the time, at least, except I'll devise a form of "disclaimer" -- sometime?

Cheers!

[Edited at 2007-01-03 21:44]

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
And, Kim,... Jan 3, 2007

... I still don't know about me and English language as *native language*.

I have checked around a bit and there seems to be considerable opinion that perhaps the notion of *native language* is not an extremely useful one at all times and all places.

OK, so I'm not going to aspire to edit an advertisement copy in English for use in UK.

Come to think of it, I now tend to think that if it is necessary to post a disclaimer about not being native spaker in an
... See more
... I still don't know about me and English language as *native language*.

I have checked around a bit and there seems to be considerable opinion that perhaps the notion of *native language* is not an extremely useful one at all times and all places.

OK, so I'm not going to aspire to edit an advertisement copy in English for use in UK.

Come to think of it, I now tend to think that if it is necessary to post a disclaimer about not being native spaker in answering Kudoz questions, proz.com software should be set to state explicitly that the answerer is not native speaker (or, has not declared native language, whatever).

So, I don't think any disclaimer I devise would include a reference to any native language.

Regards
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
German to English
+ ...
Short disclaimer Jan 3, 2007

In the interests of brevity (when posting answers) I suggest a short disclaimer, such as:
"not my language, but..."
or, to be more precise but longer,
"not one of my languages, but..."
Then it's up to the asker to decide; at least you have drawn his/her attention to your language status.
Oliver

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, a brief remark at the beginning of "Explanation" section in Answer form should do it. Jan 3, 2007

Maybe something like this:

"Please note that French is not one of my working languages for translation purposes, however, I feel that my input here could be useful to the asker."

Thank you Oliver.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hoy! I just earned one Kudoz point for an answer in a language....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »