Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
KidoZ points <i>detract</i> from the usefulness of the service May 14, 2007

I would really like KudoZ points to be abolished entirely: the pleasure of helping a colleague in difficulty should be the only reward from answering a question.

Without KudoZ points we would have fewer answers, but more relevant ones.

[Edited at 2007-05-14 18:01]

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
Spanish to English
You may have a point there. . . . May 15, 2007

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I would really like KudoZ points to be abolished entirely: the pleasure of helping a colleague in difficulty should be the only reward from answering a question.

Without KudoZ points we would have fewer answers, but more relevant ones.

[Edited at 2007-05-14 18:01]

Perhaps the point system is counterproductive. There does seem to be a "shotgun" approach taken by a lot of KudoZ responses. It is clear that some people just throw it against the wall to see what sticks (a.k.a. "spaghetti test").

Ooh look! 2.5M Google hits!

I've participated quite a bit in answering KudoZ questions with some interesting experiences. I recently asked my first Kudoz question and thankfully, it went of without a hitch. I "know" a lot of the people, so I know who's opinion is based on more than a quest for points.

Often times, there is a real sense of community as people work together to come up with the right answer. People ask questions, a discussion goes back and forth, and BANG! a perfectly translated phrase. There is certainly a level of respect among some translators and people are fast to lend their opinion to a question.

But there are other times where one answer comes in at 3 minutes, another comes in at 4. There is arguing back and forth (usually between two people who are both wrong). I can only imagine the asker trembling at the keyboard wondering what they've wrought, and how the heck are they going to make their deadline! People compare number of Google hits to back up their answer. If that doesn't work, they'll start comparing credentials. The final blow comes when they resort to the old "My brother's cousin's sister's former roomate is an interventional cardiologist, and he says . . . ." The right answer then comes in at 12 hours, completely different from the first two.

If you care about winning points, then I guess KudoZ can be frustrating. There is a lot of silliness that goes on, but then again, it's rather silly to demand arbitration . . .

for payment in points . . .

for professional consultation that you provide . . .

for free . . .

FOR YOUR COMPETITORS!

Rather silly indeed. If you want the points, you can have them. Congratulations. Seriously, you rule. 100,000 more points and you can redeem them for travel and lodging to the Powwow of your choice (as long as it's in your home town, preferebly at your house).

I prefer EuroZ/DollarZ/PesoZ/ColoneZ/SoleZ to PointZ . . . and in that order! I can probably be convinced to take RupeeZ over points, but I'd have to check with my accountant.

In the end, it's just mind over matter. I don't mind because it doesn't matter. With continued use of Kudoz, you learn who to collaborate with and who to ingnore. That goes for askers and responders.

SaludoZ!

Jason

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
The true essence of Kudoz May 15, 2007

Dr. Jason Faulkner wrote:
Often times, there is a real sense of community as people work together to come up with the right answer. People ask questions, a discussion goes back and forth, and BANG! a perfectly translated phrase. There is certainly a level of respect among some translators and people are fast to lend their opinion to a question.

This is Kudoz at its best! And all the frustrations, 1 minute answers and mutual-self congratulations just for the sake of it, wild guesses, google as the most reliable reference, rudeness are worth it for just one of these wonderful occasions!!!!

Dr. Jason Faulkner wrote:
In the end, it's just mind over matter. I don't mind because it doesn't matter. With continued use of Kudoz, you learn who to collaborate with and who to ingnore. That goes for askers and responders.

SaludoZ!

Jason

There is not much more left to say after this!!

A big red agree with stars, exclamation marks, smileys and covered in chocolate

[Edited at 2007-05-15 02:36]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 16:01
Member (2003)
French to English
Very good attitude May 16, 2007

xxxmayisa wrote:

There is something a little strange about expecting the person who was confused enough to ask a question in the first place, to be able to choose the best answer. I just don't worry about it. Even if the asker has decided that my answer was not what s/he wanted, other translators who later consult the glossaries and find my answer displayed among all the rest, are free to choose it and use it. So our precious time is not really wasted. It will help others in the future, and in the meantime, we have learned something.

Thanks for posting this. I like this attitude.

Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater May 23, 2007

When I'm in the middle of trying to keep to a tight deadline and need speedy help, I'm glad that Proz offers points, as this seems to motivate people into making a rapid response, for which I can only be grateful, even if some of the suggestions may be incorrect.
Furthermore, our goal as responders is not to give a perfect answer, but rather to provide various options, from which the asker must ultimately chose. Sometimes a wrong answer is useful, in that it may point to a correct one. By
... See more
When I'm in the middle of trying to keep to a tight deadline and need speedy help, I'm glad that Proz offers points, as this seems to motivate people into making a rapid response, for which I can only be grateful, even if some of the suggestions may be incorrect.
Furthermore, our goal as responders is not to give a perfect answer, but rather to provide various options, from which the asker must ultimately chose. Sometimes a wrong answer is useful, in that it may point to a correct one. By the same token, the number of agrees/neutrals/disagrees is not always a good indicator of the veracity of any given response.
Let's not make Proz.com into a mutual admiration society, although I'm all for avoiding unnecessary conflicts and keeping the tone as collegial as possible. I don't mind anyone challenging my own suggestions, as long as some kind of substantiation is provided.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New rules: askers should give points

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »