The Spanish translation of The catcher in the Rye
Thread poster: AD27
AD27
AD27
Local time: 01:17
English to Spanish
Nov 25, 2010

Hello all!

I'm presently doing a MA in Translation (Spanish-English) and I'm planning to do a comparative analysis of the novel The catcher in the Rye in which I'll examine both the original and the Spanish translation. I'm basing my analysis on the first translation that was done in 1978 by Carmen Criado. I've heard that there are newer additions by her, but I'm not entirely sure. It would be great if anyone could inform me on that.
The idea to do this for my thesis came abou
... See more
Hello all!

I'm presently doing a MA in Translation (Spanish-English) and I'm planning to do a comparative analysis of the novel The catcher in the Rye in which I'll examine both the original and the Spanish translation. I'm basing my analysis on the first translation that was done in 1978 by Carmen Criado. I've heard that there are newer additions by her, but I'm not entirely sure. It would be great if anyone could inform me on that.
The idea to do this for my thesis came about when I started reading the Spanish version, El guardian entre el centeno, and began to notice that the use of language, such as the colloquial language, was completely different to that in the original. In my opinion, it's precisly that feature which makes the novel what it is. My main objective to see how much of the novel has been changed and in what ways, that's to say how much of the original has been regarded or discarded in the translation.
Essentially, I'm here writing in this forum because I would love to hear from other people who happen to have read the Spanish translation of the novel.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Hola a todas!

Estoy haciendo un Mastar en Traduccion y para el tesis voy a hacer un analisis comparativo de la novela inglesa y su traduccion al espanol que se llama La guardian entre el centeno (Carmen Criado 1978). Disculpame por la falta de acentos pero no encuentro la tecla.
Cuando comence a leerla, note que habia muchas diferencias entre el original y la version traducida. Faltaba mucho de la lengua que usa en el original, tal como el uso de la lengua colloquial, y por eso pienso examinar los dos para ver que es lo que se ha incluido o omitido en la traduccion.
Asi que si alguien la ha leido, me gustaria mucho oir sus opiniones sobre este tema.

Saludos
Collapse

LizLemon
LizLemon
Argentina
Local time: 22:17
English to Spanish
EL guardian entre el Centeno :( Dec 7, 2010

Bueno, mi experiencia con este libro traducido al español es pésima. (Tengo una copia del libro traducida por Carmen Criado.)
No pude tolerarlo y dejé de leer antes de llegar a la mitad del libro. No habia leido nunca la version original, y si no lo hubiera hecho, me hubiera sentido engañada por los innumerables comentarios positivos acerca del libro en todos lados. Sin embargo, esta version en español me hizo abandonar la lectura. Está sobrecargado de modismos regionales, que al lee
... See more
Bueno, mi experiencia con este libro traducido al español es pésima. (Tengo una copia del libro traducida por Carmen Criado.)
No pude tolerarlo y dejé de leer antes de llegar a la mitad del libro. No habia leido nunca la version original, y si no lo hubiera hecho, me hubiera sentido engañada por los innumerables comentarios positivos acerca del libro en todos lados. Sin embargo, esta version en español me hizo abandonar la lectura. Está sobrecargado de modismos regionales, que al leerlos por primera vez distraen de la lectura... y al comparar con el texto original uno no puede mas que preguntarse en que estaba pensado esa señora cuando tomó esas decisiones al traducir.
Como bien decís, se trata de una novela que contiene mucho lenguaje coloquial. Entiendo que se quiso mantener de alguna manera, pero es mi opinion que el resultado es contraproducente, no he leido otras traducciones, quizás haya una mas acertada... mas neutral... mas apta para ser leida en toda america latina. Claramente este no es el caso.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Spanish translation of The catcher in the Rye

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »