Translating medical forms
Thread poster: MARIANA VITEK
MARIANA VITEK
MARIANA VITEK
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2011

Hi,

I am pretty new in the industry and I'm wondering if someone can give me some input on this. I have a general medical form to translate from Spanish into English. There are only 2 or 3 medical conditions "checked" in a form containing many, many other medical scenarios none of which seemed to pertain to this patient. Do you translate everything that is listed even though none are "checked" in the form or do you only translate what pertains to that particular patient?

... See more
Hi,

I am pretty new in the industry and I'm wondering if someone can give me some input on this. I have a general medical form to translate from Spanish into English. There are only 2 or 3 medical conditions "checked" in a form containing many, many other medical scenarios none of which seemed to pertain to this patient. Do you translate everything that is listed even though none are "checked" in the form or do you only translate what pertains to that particular patient?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:30
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Check with your client Oct 28, 2011

If your client is the patient, then he or she may not need the other fields translated at all. Otherwise it is likely that you will need to translate everything, especially if you haven't received any instructions to the contrary.

In any case, you definitely need to check with your client before omitting chunks of the original text in your translation. Bear in mind that the decision will affect your target/source wordcount too.

MARIANA VITEK
MARIANA VITEK
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank-you Oct 28, 2011

Many thanks for your help .. I appreciate it! Take Care

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 06:30
English
+ ...
My opinion... Oct 28, 2011

Speaking as a physician, the unchecked tests on the form are irrelevant.
The form is a convenience for the physician and laboratory. The tests could just as well been written on a piece of toilette paper.

Unless you were translating the form itself for reproduction by the laboratory I see no value in translating the unchecked tests.

M

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
Danish to English
+ ...
Check with your client Oct 28, 2011

Each agency (client) has different requirements. I have been translating medical reports/forms for decades and have learned to not take anything for granted. I therefore think your client should answer your question.

Blangsted

[Edited at 2011-10-28 18:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating medical forms

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »