Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: If you hadn't been a translator, what would you have liked to be?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:26
English to Spanish
Been there, done that Jan 7, 2012

I studied Linguistics but life took me down different professional paths. Previously, I was a teacher, a systems analyst, and a Human Resources professional. Nothing compares to the fulfillment and the satisfaction I feel working in translation.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nothing else Jan 7, 2012

Although my real answer should be "Other". I taught TEFL for some years, so that holds no more allure for me. I have also worked as a gardner, which I liked - weather permitting - and still do as a hobby. I have worked in bars and as a secretary for Conferences... and other things better left unsaid.

However, what came closest to translation for me in terms of enjoyment was running pub (trivia) quizzes, although I doubt if I would like to do it full time.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Designer Jan 7, 2012

And I still want to do some design training (specifically jewellery) in the future. I also like drawing, sculpture and painting, although I still need a lot of practice. I think I should also make a resolution along the lines of 'one drawing per day'. I enjoy translating, but would love to combine it with something else to keep things fresh and exciting.

Happy translating!

Paul.

Ana Escaleir (X)
Ana Escaleir (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:26
French to Portuguese
+ ...
diplomat Jan 7, 2012

I would be a diplomat.

Elena Novski
Elena Novski
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
Nothing but a translator Jan 7, 2012

I have been translating/interpreting since the age of 15, and this is the only occupation which keeps me diversified and knowledgeable in so many areas at the same time!

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Farmer Jan 7, 2012

If I were to live my life again, I'd love to be a farmer.

I had a moment of doubt after leaving high school, but I can't say I regret having been a lawyer and now being a translator.

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:26
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Half and half Jan 7, 2012

If I gave up translating, which I thoroughly enjoy, I'd like to be an anthropologist, a gardener, or perhaps both - as long as I'm self-employed.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
4 Jan 7, 2012

Concert pianist, marine biologist, professional explorer or just a simple bum living off my parents

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:26
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ghost train / haunted house designer Jan 8, 2012

Or billboard painter in Africa.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
I already was Jan 8, 2012

a journalist for ten years before turning to translation and editing. I studied communications and journalism, not translation.
It's not that unusual...i've met a few like me, who moved from journalism to other fields, like PR or translation.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Athlete Jan 8, 2012

I've always loved sports. There is no feeling like playing your best game, against another top-notch opponent, fluid coordination, perfect play - an immoveable object versus an unstoppable force - and you eke out a dirty, sweaty win, barely walking away in your exhaustion.

Rosanna Saraceno
Rosanna Saraceno  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
An artist or a psychologist Jan 8, 2012

My dream was to become a painter....but I also feel inclined to psychology

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Actress, dancer, singer, theatre director, gardener Jan 8, 2012

I'm happy being a freelance translator, and I've worked as a teacher of French and Spanish, tri-lingual secretary, office manager, barmaid and so on, but if I hadn't been a translator, I'd like to have been an actress, dancer, singer, theatre and film director or gardener. I do all those things as hobbies now.
Happy freelancing,
Jenny

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Marine biologist Jan 8, 2012

I would spend most of my life underwater.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:26
Flemish to English
+ ...
Anything but linguist. Jan 8, 2012

Airline Transport Pilot, investment banker (a bonus every year), risk analyse, freelance IT-developper, business-person.
With the money earned language can be bought through expensive and intensive courses on the spot.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you hadn't been a translator, what would you have liked to be?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »