Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Back to university after 20 years! Your suggestions?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea! Mar 19, 2013

Helen Hagon wrote:
I found it essential to have my own study space, as well as making a clear distinction between study time and family time. I make sure my children know when I am studying and they have to amuse themselves for a while.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the idea Helen! My children very much play independently or, when they feel like it, ask for our permission to go to their friends' houses nearby (we live in a very small town).

Instead of entertaining them, my quality time should be focused on making sure they do their homework, which takes a couple of hours every day. Today I work by remoting to the office while they do their homework in the same place with me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion and your contribution!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A total break from work not possible Mar 19, 2013

Cedomir Pusica wrote:
In my opinion, you are doing the right thing. One needs to focus on self from time to time. My idea of doing it right would be dedicating yourself to university studies and family. So, if you can manage to leave your job for a year, that would be the best option. In the meantime, find someone who could take care of business.

This sounds terrific, but it does not look feasible, to be honest. Not only our usual workload in the office is high, but in addition customers are accostumed to a very quick reply to every need. Now they get that since both partners keep on top of things with the help of three employees.

Taking care of interacting with customers while I am in my classes is something that can be arranged, but clearly I cannot disappear from the office for a whole year. I usually translate fast in my areas of expertise, and covering for my throughput with employees or freelancers would mean a high cost we cannot really afford.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:13
Chinese to English
Easy, but don't skimp on the reading Mar 19, 2013

I can only give similar advice to what everyone else is saying. A supportive partner is vital, because what's going to suffer is your adult time - time with friends and your partner.

The thing I would emphasise is that I had forgotten how much reading is required. As others have mentioned, the work seems much easier as a mature student, and I was often tempted not to do all the reading. Somehow it seems harder to justify reading time than writing time, so I would just write the ess
... See more
I can only give similar advice to what everyone else is saying. A supportive partner is vital, because what's going to suffer is your adult time - time with friends and your partner.

The thing I would emphasise is that I had forgotten how much reading is required. As others have mentioned, the work seems much easier as a mature student, and I was often tempted not to do all the reading. Somehow it seems harder to justify reading time than writing time, so I would just write the essays then shoehorn in a couple of quotes. It's not good practice! Try to give yourself enough time to do all the reading, because that's a big chunk of the value of the course.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
remain on campus for a few hours Mar 19, 2013

You mention going to the library, and I would similarly suggest that when you are physically present at the university you simply stay there for an extra couple of hours -- in the library, vacant classroom, student lounge, etc. and totally focus on your studies. So for certain hours of the week you are unavailable for anything except your course work. It is also a good idea to be on a slower schedule. I wish you much success!!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Can't add to the advice of others Mar 19, 2013

Just ENJOY IT!

And best of luck!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Mar 19, 2013

Jessica Noyes wrote:
You mention going to the library, and I would similarly suggest that when you are physically present at the university you simply stay there for an extra couple of hours -- in the library, vacant classroom, student lounge, etc.

Makes total sense Jessica. Thanks for the hint! Indeed my classes are expected to be in the morning (within the span of 10 AM to 2 PM), and indeed I will stay in the school most of the morning, although I might be tempted to answer customer emails in the coffee breaks!

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In the same boat Mar 19, 2013

No advice really, just wanted to let you know you are not alone, and that it can be done

I'm 41 and am in my final year of a nursing degree at the University of Bologna. With 34 exams (some covering five different subjects), clinical placements and various workshops, the course is extremely demanding, but incredibly stimulating and I'm very very happy about the choice I've made. Oddly enough, the language of the cours
... See more
No advice really, just wanted to let you know you are not alone, and that it can be done

I'm 41 and am in my final year of a nursing degree at the University of Bologna. With 34 exams (some covering five different subjects), clinical placements and various workshops, the course is extremely demanding, but incredibly stimulating and I'm very very happy about the choice I've made. Oddly enough, the language of the course (taught in italian) has always been the least of my problems!

I think the biggest and most important thing you can ask of your family is to be supportive. Sometimes it has been very tough going, and I doubt I could have done it without my husband's patience and unwavering support. I certainly underestimated how difficult it would be going back to uni (I graduated in German and Italian in 1995), but I think the added life experience means you get more out of the experience than your younger colleagues, although perhaps that is a little presumptious on my part. My added life experience has definitely helped me deal with patients, and I have learned so much from them too. A very humbling experience, and one I am honoured to have been able to do.

Best of luck!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back to university after 20 years! Your suggestions?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »