Thread poster: Maria Amorim (X)
Maria Amorim (X)
Maria Amorim (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:28
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 3, 2012

This is a recurrent subject but probably with some new nuances. Language pair: English - Portuguese

I have been asked to quote on a 300 page book, with pictures and illustrations, around 70 000 words. This service includes translation and also a proofreading by another professional. I am expected to quote on the overall job and be responsible for delivering the final complete text, error-free, linguistic accurate, so that the author be able to launch the printing process.
<
... See more
This is a recurrent subject but probably with some new nuances. Language pair: English - Portuguese

I have been asked to quote on a 300 page book, with pictures and illustrations, around 70 000 words. This service includes translation and also a proofreading by another professional. I am expected to quote on the overall job and be responsible for delivering the final complete text, error-free, linguistic accurate, so that the author be able to launch the printing process.

By own experience, I know it is essential to have your work reviewed by another professional/linguist before publishing it, and I fully agree with this request.

I see that rates for book translation and proofreading are typically calculated per page, although this “unity” can differ a lot from country to country in keystrokes´number (from 1250 up to 2100 including spaces). Also, its respective price varies over a wide range, as one can see from the European CEATL report. By now, I have not the material for a proper calculation on this basis (per page).

And so, my question starts by the end point. What is a reasonable proofreading rate, based on word count, for a skilled professional who will work mainly on the fine details of the text, like a copy editor?

What should be the related rates between translation and proofreading in this case?

Thanks in advance for your contributions!
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Proofreading charges Feb 4, 2012

I normally charge half my translation rate for proofreading. I think it is a fair and simple calculation.
Good luck with your project!
Ana

Maria Amorim (X)
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ana! Feb 4, 2012

This can be a guide. I will contact you if I need additional information, ok?

Best regards.

F Scott Ophof (X)
F Scott Ophof (X)  Identity Verified
Belize
Local time: 17:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Or charge by the hour. However... Feb 4, 2012

A downside of charging by the word is that there's no correction for difficulty level. That's why charging by the hour is usually seen as more fair.
But you can also set your rate/word on the highish side of Ana's suggestion, and give a fair discount if the work turns out be easier than expected. Just make sure the client knows this.
If you become known as the proofer whose invoice is always (OK... usually/often) less than initially agreed-on, so much the better, right? ...
See more
A downside of charging by the word is that there's no correction for difficulty level. That's why charging by the hour is usually seen as more fair.
But you can also set your rate/word on the highish side of Ana's suggestion, and give a fair discount if the work turns out be easier than expected. Just make sure the client knows this.
If you become known as the proofer whose invoice is always (OK... usually/often) less than initially agreed-on, so much the better, right?

[Edited at 2012-02-04 20:10 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Amorim (X)
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Scott! Feb 5, 2012

I agree with you that an hourly rate is a better realistic approach but probably clients prefer to see the figures on word or page count. I will take in account your considerations with respect informing the client.

Have a nice Sunday!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On Proofreading Rates for Book Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »