Thread poster: Adisa Ejubović
Adisa Ejubović
Adisa Ejubović
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 00:55
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2014

Hi! I am completely new here, completely lost and I have a hard time finding some necessary information on the website. What I'm interested in most is whether we are required to "quote" in order to be eligible to get a job or it's enough to send an email to the employer with your resume? Just to make sure I'm not sending emails in vain. Thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do what the job post tells you to do Oct 11, 2014

AdisaE wrote:
What I'm interested in most is whether we are required to "quote" in order to be eligible to get a job or whether it's enough to send an email to the employer with your resume?

Every job post will tell you how the client prefers you to contact him. Some job posts say "via ProZ.com" (i.e. bid via the site) and other job posts say "via e-mail". You're welcome send an e-mail to any client that posted a job (with or without your résumé), but odds are that they will ignore your e-mail if they didn't say in the job post that they want to receive e-mails.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The quote Oct 11, 2014

As Samuel says, you have to reply in the manner requested. There's no point in doing anything else. But the content of your reply will be the same.

You'll need to give a very brief account of your suitability for the work - in that way it's very similar to a job-seeker's covering letter, especially as we attach what we normally call our CV/resume. But we aren't employees and we aren't writing to an employer, it's a client.

Where the quote comes in is we tell the client
... See more
As Samuel says, you have to reply in the manner requested. There's no point in doing anything else. But the content of your reply will be the same.

You'll need to give a very brief account of your suitability for the work - in that way it's very similar to a job-seeker's covering letter, especially as we attach what we normally call our CV/resume. But we aren't employees and we aren't writing to an employer, it's a client.

Where the quote comes in is we tell the client how much the cost will be. We may need more information so this isn't a contractual quote at this stage, but it should be as close as possible.

You shouldn't just leave it to the client to set the price.

Does that answer your question?
Collapse

Adisa Ejubović
Adisa Ejubović
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 12, 2014

Thank you for your answers! I did do what the job post tell me. It said to send resumes to a certain email address, which I did. But I thought that in order for your application to be taken into consideration you need to quote as well. Like I said, I am completely new and will need some time to wrap my head around how all this works. Thanks again!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
See it all first Oct 12, 2014

A word of caution: Do NOT quote on any job without seeing it in its entirety first, it may not be what it is represented to be. If the job poster refuses to provide it, then forget the whole deal, no matter how hungry you may be. You could get badly burned.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is quoting mandatory?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »