Seems like a translation scam
Thread poster: Dor Zigdon Lax
Michael Bosch
Michael Bosch
Local time: 20:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
Scammer on oDesk will not pay you Jun 7, 2012

I got involved with this scammer on oDesk, where I have found some good jobs before, until I came across this man calling himself 'John Ondrgaard'.

This is his message.

"Hi

My company is in need for good and serious Dutch translator.We have some overload files that we need to be translated to English or to Dutch.

To get this job you should be native Speaker of Dutch or someone who is willing to prove his dutch speaking abilities.
You shou
... See more
I got involved with this scammer on oDesk, where I have found some good jobs before, until I came across this man calling himself 'John Ondrgaard'.

This is his message.

"Hi

My company is in need for good and serious Dutch translator.We have some overload files that we need to be translated to English or to Dutch.

To get this job you should be native Speaker of Dutch or someone who is willing to prove his dutch speaking abilities.
You should also be fast.
Use of machines will not be accepted and anyone who tries this will get bad feedback and will be marked as SPAM.

In you cover letter tell me do you have previous experience in translating jobs, your price per word and your turn around time for 500 words

Happy bidding"

He will send you urgent jobs that would need to be done within 1 or 2 days and says that his company does payments on the end of the month. All went well during the jobs I done for him in both English, Dutch and German translations, but when it came to the payment of the invoice that I send him it became nasty.

He received the invoice saying payment will be done within 2 days, but 1 day after the receipt of the invoice he closed the contract on oDesk and stated that I misrepresented my skills.
If my skills are so bad for him, why didn't he tell me that after the second or third job I done for him (I have done 17 jobs for him in that month and leaves me with an unpaid invoice of $1314.14).

The mistake he has made is picking me out to do these jobs for him, because I am now on the search and the net is closing around him, so I will get him.

I only wanted to share this with all of you, so that you are aware of this scammer.

He uses the email: [email protected] and uses these company details, which are probably just as fake as his name (if it is a man anyway).

PharmStar 1987
Frederico Garcia Lorca 17-Bajo
87640, New Mexico
USA

Beware and don't fall for his tricks and if you are a translation agency hiring him then you would be better of to fire him and get yourself a real translator.

Take care my colleague translators

Michael Bosch
Collapse

Sarariman
Sarariman
Local time: 19:01
Beware of John Ondrgaard Mar 21, 2013

I encountered this creature in May of 2012. Again, I was using ODesk. I did three weeks of writing work for him, and once more, when I invoiced him, he closed the contract, giving some bullshit reason. I didn't suffer quite as badly as you. I only lost $800. It would be great to track this guy down.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Doesn't exist Mar 22, 2013

mbosch25775 wrote:

He uses the email: [email protected] and uses these company details, which are probably just as fake as his name (if it is a man anyway).

PharmStar 1987
87640, New Mexico
USA

Definitely fake. There's no such town, nor any such street. Street addresses are not formatted this way in the US, the number goes in front of the street name, not after. The zip code 87640 looks like someone randomly hitting keyboard buttons, and there's no such zip code. It shouldn't be in front of the state name either. In fact, the only real parts of this address are the state and the country.

[Edited at 2013-03-22 17:18 GMT]

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Frederico Mar 22, 2013

John Fossey wrote:

PharmStar 1987
87640, New Mexico
USA

I wouldn't even bother to google things like this

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 20:01
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Possible scammer or recruiters but not potential job Mar 22, 2013

Today, I received about 3 offers of jobs; I am putting this here as this was the latest post with regards to this issue. All were checked and 1 was an outsourcer looking for recruits, maybe or a joke. the outsourcer had a WWA of 5, only a couple said payment was late, and I could find this person's website, contact numbers, everything, but then by the time I had checked all this, emailed company to check the person really existed as he started with "Hi there" and surname was not on website, subm... See more
Today, I received about 3 offers of jobs; I am putting this here as this was the latest post with regards to this issue. All were checked and 1 was an outsourcer looking for recruits, maybe or a joke. the outsourcer had a WWA of 5, only a couple said payment was late, and I could find this person's website, contact numbers, everything, but then by the time I had checked all this, emailed company to check the person really existed as he started with "Hi there" and surname was not on website, submitted my quote and updated CV, I received a reply saying that the job had been given to someone else as urgent- job was for the 25th, so not urgent- but will keep me in mind for future requests. I replied that their company had a good WWA and to take care to keep it so. I got a couple more but all were scammers. Seems trade is so low that members are resorting to recruits? One was a member who maybe had formed a company in February but would pay peanuts. I am getting discouraged and wonder if it is worthwhile continuing spending money on training or doing something else. Pity! the amount of jobs and questions are dwindling fast so members are resorting to this?Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seems like a translation scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »