Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:56
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 22, 2013

Hello

I just answered to a Proz ad dated Feb 20, 2013 with very little info about the poster.

He answered with a text of about 6000 words (a cut and paste from an FAO text). He gives his home address in Swatziland (!!) but the town address is near Zurich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is already sick! (it reminds me of other scammers)

I answered positively without asking for an advanced payment, but I suspect it will be the next step (traveller's checks....)
... See more
Hello

I just answered to a Proz ad dated Feb 20, 2013 with very little info about the poster.

He answered with a text of about 6000 words (a cut and paste from an FAO text). He gives his home address in Swatziland (!!) but the town address is near Zurich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I answered positively without asking for an advanced payment, but I suspect it will be the next step (traveller's checks....).

His email address is not significant: [email protected] (sounds from switzerland / medical).

His Proz profile was made a few days ago and is empty (which I didn't notice at the beginning).

It looks so much like Adelgoss scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody has more information about that guy?

I just think I'll stop talking to him

Have a good day

PS: This is because of people like this that I removed my home phone # and address from my Proz profile.
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sounds dodgy Feb 22, 2013

Have you checked his IP address? This could give you a clue as to which country he was in when he sent you the email..
This page will tell you how to do this depending on your email service provider.

http://aruljohn.com/info/howtofindipaddress/

I certainly wouldn't do the translation until this person's identity had been verified.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Don't know Feb 22, 2013

if it is a scam or not but I googled the email and it appears here http://www.translatorstown.com/translation-jobs

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
possible scam Feb 22, 2013

Hello

I answered positively without asking for an advanced payment, but I suspect it might be the next step (traveller's checks....
... See more
Hello

I answered positively without asking for an advanced payment, but I suspect it might be the next step (traveller's checks....).

His email address is not significant: [email protected] (sounds from switzerland / medical).

His Proz profile was made a few days ago and is empty (which I didn't notice at the beginning).

It looks a lot like Adelgoss scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good day

PS: This is because of people like this that I removed my home phone # and address from my Proz profile.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Contact information Feb 22, 2013

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

Hi Madeleine,

You should have more information on the guy, since you are the one who is considering working for him. You should always ask for verifiable contact information from people who contact you with any kind of proposals, and then verify it.

This will protect you and besides scammers will simply vanish at this point.

Regards,
Enrique

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I just want to warn other Proz members! Feb 23, 2013

Hi Enrique

I know very well where I am when I see a job poster with empty profile pretending to be in Swaziland when every word in his post shows he is near Zürich, Switzerland (with a few googles).

I just want to warn other Proz members.

I am already aware of most of the tricks, having myself enjoyed another time an overpayment with fake traveller checks! (about 18 months ago)

Have a good day!

Madeleine

I just mentio
... See more
Hi Enrique

I know very well where I am when I see a job poster with empty profile pretending to be in Swaziland when every word in his post shows he is near Zürich, Switzerland (with a few googles).

I just want to warn other Proz members.

I am already aware of most of the tricks, having myself enjoyed another time an overpayment with fake traveller checks! (about 18 months ago)

Have a good day!

Madeleine

I just mentioned Swaziland or Switzerland? and he seems to have vanished.

[Edited at 2013-02-23 09:30 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Contact information is the silver bullet Feb 23, 2013

The reason for my comment is that I have witnessed many instances of translators trying to identify scammers using linguistic tools or discussion with peers, but failing to get reliable contact information from the alleged clients.

This is our silver bullet and so many of us are failing to use it. If you ask for verifiable contact information most scammers will simply go away, and a quick verification should provide a reasonable level of protection.

Regards,
Enri
... See more
The reason for my comment is that I have witnessed many instances of translators trying to identify scammers using linguistic tools or discussion with peers, but failing to get reliable contact information from the alleged clients.

This is our silver bullet and so many of us are failing to use it. If you ask for verifiable contact information most scammers will simply go away, and a quick verification should provide a reasonable level of protection.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

modetranslate
modetranslate  Identity Verified
English to French
Possible scam Feb 23, 2013

Hello Madeleine,

I was contacted by the same guy yesterday but I got suspicious after his mentioning a check payment.
Just like you I already experienced during a few hours the over-payment scam from Italy/South Africa a few months ago...

I signaled this guy to ProZ staff.

I wish you a lot of true and interesting work !

nora26
nora26  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
same thing for me... Feb 25, 2013

Hi !

I was also contacted by M. "Philipp Müller" for this translation. He mentionned euro check payment so I started to look for information about him... and found your message Madeleine... thanks for warning!

Have a nice day

Regards,

Nora

ALP Traductions
ALP Traductions  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I also received the mail of Mr Müller... Feb 25, 2013

I just received an email from Mr. Müller... when he told me that he had a cancer and that he wanted to pay me with € check, I also thought this was suspicious ! Thank you Madeleine !!

Have a nice day
Anne-Lise

Murielle LECOURT
Murielle LECOURT  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
scam about the Proz offer dated Febr. 20th/Food translation project Mar 7, 2013

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

Hello

I answered positively without asking for an advanced payment, but I suspect it will be the next step (traveller's checks....).

It looks so much like Adelgoss scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good day

Murielle LECOURT
Murielle LECOURT  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
scam about the Proz offer dated Febr. 20th/Food translation project Mar 7, 2013

Hi Madeleine,

I have just realised that it was a scam !

On Febr. 21st, I was interested by the above-referred Proz offer. I contacted Philipp Muller. He answered me with one day's delay apologizing that he had healthing issues. I wished him a better health. He told me to begin with the translation. He told me that he was fighting with cancer and often in hospital. I hadn't spoken about payment because I usually receive the payment after translation. Without askin
... See more
Hi Madeleine,

I have just realised that it was a scam !

On Febr. 21st, I was interested by the above-referred Proz offer. I contacted Philipp Muller. He answered me with one day's delay apologizing that he had healthing issues. I wished him a better health. He told me to begin with the translation. He told me that he was fighting with cancer and often in hospital. I hadn't spoken about payment because I usually receive the payment after translation. Without asking about it, he began speaking about payment, explaining that his customer would pay with euro check. Then he informed me that he had to go to Cape Town for surgery. Then, he explained that the customer had made a mistake : he had send me check on my name - but a 3000euro check - because it was for Philipp Muller. No problem : he had confidence : he told me to put the check on my bank acccount, waiting a few days before sending him the excess funds. Last tuesday, I received six American Express Travelers Checks of euro 500 each ! I phoned to my banker : he told me it requires one month to be sure that the checks are not false checks. Last Saturday, I mailed him my translation.

On Tuesday evening, I decided to knows what was the real situation with this person :
I sent him an e-mail saying that my banker did not accept the checks and that it requires one month before being sure that there are not false checks ! I asked him to pay me via bank transfer and to give me his customer's adress to give him back the six checks. I have not yet received an answer to my e-mail ! Because it is a scam !

I have just seen on the net : a man called Philipp Muller lives in Pfaffikon/Switzerland : he is a dentist doctor ! I think that the man is not the scammer person.

I also want to warn the translators about the scammer at [email protected]

Best regards.
Murielle Lecourt/France
Proz profile : 1 682 296.
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
to Muriel Mar 7, 2013

[email protected] is the guy's identification I gave since the beginning; I couldn't do more because we are supposed not to give the name of the scammer.

I confused the guy by telling him: Swaziland or Switzerland (dummy country), he was unveiled as a scammer and stopped bothering me. (I mentioned it here).

I am sorry about what happened to Muriel and I hope there is no unpleasant consequence.
<
... See more
[email protected] is the guy's identification I gave since the beginning; I couldn't do more because we are supposed not to give the name of the scammer.

I confused the guy by telling him: Swaziland or Switzerland (dummy country), he was unveiled as a scammer and stopped bothering me. (I mentioned it here).

I am sorry about what happened to Muriel and I hope there is no unpleasant consequence.

If it happens again, and if you live in Paris, go directly to American Express place de l'Opera to have your travellers checked (not cashed).

Good luck to you.

Generally speaking, if the client's profile was created yesterday, don't quote.

Madeleine
Collapse

Isabelle Vulliard
Isabelle Vulliard  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Scam Adelgoss et Erika Nordqvist Mar 18, 2013

Dear all,
Hello

I have myself answered a proz job a few days ago from Erika Nordqvist. Here is the text :

Hello Isabelle,
Thank you for your response to my posting. Sorry for my delay due to my health, Here is the text project, can you please check , confirm your delivery and your total quote. I hope to hear from you soon.Thank you

The text she sent me was exactly the same a certain Adelgoss Johan, well known here, has also sent me a few months
... See more
Dear all,
Hello

I have myself answered a proz job a few days ago from Erika Nordqvist. Here is the text :

Hello Isabelle,
Thank you for your response to my posting. Sorry for my delay due to my health, Here is the text project, can you please check , confirm your delivery and your total quote. I hope to hear from you soon.Thank you

The text she sent me was exactly the same a certain Adelgoss Johan, well known here, has also sent me a few months ago. He could only pay me with a check, so I refused immediatly.
I don't know what are their intentions, but you should stay very suspicious.
Kind regards
Isabelle
Collapse

Sabine Schlottky
Sabine Schlottky  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Same content received, but different sender Mar 19, 2013

Hi, I received a very similar mail after having replied to job posting http://www.proz.com/job/749450.

Here's what the guy wrote me after I asked for advance payment:

"Hello Sabine,

How are you doing and thank you for your understanding and kindness. I am happy to have you as my translator. The text is not in any way official but just for learning. I want you to star
... See more
Hi, I received a very similar mail after having replied to job posting http://www.proz.com/job/749450.

Here's what the guy wrote me after I asked for advance payment:

"Hello Sabine,

How are you doing and thank you for your understanding and kindness. I am happy to have you as my translator. The text is not in any way official but just for learning. I want you to start the translation, your full payment check will be send to you this week. You will deliver the translated text upon receipt of your payment check in order to meet up with the deadline .Kindly provide your information to issue out your payment.

Here is my information for the invoice

Name. AMORUSO NICOLA
Via S. Francesco Da Paola 67B
80058 Torre Annunziata
Italy

Kindly confirml your information to issue out your check payment.
[my address]

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards"

Beware!!!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »