Does the CAT tool you use have an influence on getting response from LSPs?
Thread poster: Clément Marquet
Clément Marquet
Clément Marquet
Local time: 20:52
Member (2021)
Chinese to French
+ ...
Feb 14

Hello there,

I use OmegaT as a CAT tool and I like it because it's free and open-source. And for this reason, do LSPs consider it's a low-end product or not professional enough?

So I am wondering if the fact of not using one of the paid "big ones" can be a problem.

To make it short, if a project manager sees you are using Trados of Memsource, do you have more chances to get an answer and jobs than if you write OmegaT on your CV?

Clément

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Clément Feb 14

Clément Marquet wrote:
To make it short, if a project manager sees you are using Trados ... do you have more chances to get an answer and jobs than if you write OmegaT on your CV?

Yes, I think so. But at the same time, many agencies now know that multiple different CAT tools are able to edit files from other CAT tools.

I think that if you mention the big three (Trados, MemoQ and Wordfast Pro), you'll make a good impression. I don't think it would be to your disadvantage to mention that you use OmegaT or CafeTran, though. Not many agencies know what OmegaT is, except that it is a smaller CAT tool. I'm not sure if mentioning online CAT tools such as Memsource/Phrase, Matecat, Smartling or XTM will score you any brownie points except with agencies that already use those tools.

Not mentioning one of the big three might have a slight detrimental effect on your changes of getting hired.

Added: Of course I'm just guessing...

[Edited at 2024-02-14 19:35 GMT]

Susan Murphy Lamprecht

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 15

Just tell them you can work with SDLXLIFF files. Most prospective clients are mainly interested in your work experience, anyway.

[Edited at 2024-02-15 05:54 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Restrictions Feb 15

You won’t be able to download projects (translation memories, termbases) from translation servers.

You may have problems to process QA reports.

You’ll probably going to frighten some project managers.

Etc.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Feb 15

The only agencies I work with that require a CAT tool provide online access to Phrase/Memsource, MemoQ or their own CAT tool anyway, and if you can use one you can use them all.

So I wouldn’t dream of specifying a CAT tool on my CV. Or claiming proficiency in CAT tools. That’s like saying you know how to tie your own shoelaces.

Zea_Mays
Stepan Konev
brovxidfmgan (X)

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You end up working with several tools Feb 15

I have DVX and Trados. Hower, I also end up working in memoQ web, MemSource (or whatever it’s called now), etc.

Times have changed. Not having a licence does not mean anymore you won’t be able to use a CAT tool.

In any case, I do recommend having licence for at least one major CAT tool and be open to work with several others too.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 19:52
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
You might have Feb 15

Clément Marquet wrote:
To make it short, if a project manager sees you are using Trados of Memsource, do you have more chances to get an answer and jobs than if you write OmegaT on your CV?

Agencies that are seriously involved in translation with CAT tools probably won't work with free tools or won't allow you to use it. They might offer you a free license of their own CAT tool, though. But that's not standard practice in every agency, and most certainly not in the smaller ones (also the best paying ones).

But why should you use a free tool? A CAT tool has become a basic tool for a lot of translators. Spending a bit of money on it wouldn't hurt you. Trados has become my second skin after 23 years, but you don't have to pick the most expensive one.

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-15 11:11 GMT]

Rachel Waddington

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 15

Lieven Malaise wrote:
But why should you use a free tool?

Much for the same reasons people became vegans and are driving EVs: it's a matter of principle.

[Edited at 2024-02-15 10:29 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Back in 2002 Feb 16

...one new client called me and asked me if I have Trados. I had never heard the word, so the person terminated the call.
If a freelancer does not want or cannot invest in a professional tool, it tells the client something about the service provider.
Transit used to be the most expensive tool, but that did not hinder me to do lots of projects in free Transit Satellite. Clients knew I was compatible with their files.

Lieven Malaise

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 19

Christopher Schröder wrote:
The only agencies I work with that require a CAT tool provide online access to Phrase/Memsource, MemoQ or their own CAT tool anyway, and if you can use one you can use them all.

So I wouldn’t dream of specifying a CAT tool on my CV. Or claiming proficiency in CAT tools. That’s like saying you know how to tie your own shoelaces.

I had to think about your post over the last week, and I suppose I’ll have to agree with your observation. Recently, I watched a video podcast featuring a VP of a translation agency. Unnamed, of course, due to ProZ.com’s site rules. Anyway, the VP stated that they’ve been developing their own cloud-based translation ecosystem, with AI integration and stuff. One high-paying game localization agency I know also has its own cloud-based translation tool. They can’t be the only ones who are doing it. In fact, the trend seems to suggest total migration to the cloud, and the ongoing AI arms race is incentivizing translation agencies to adopt this strategy even more.

Interoperability across CAT tools has also been significantly improved. OmegaT can now work seamlessly with SDLXLIFF files. Although, I have no idea what's the situation with MQXLIFF compatibility. I may need to ask Marc Prior for confirmation. At any rate, this artificially-created problem appears to have been mostly solved, and is less relevant these days than it used to be.

Then there are translators who chose to not use any CAT tools. And they’re doing just fine.

[Edited at 2024-02-19 12:31 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the CAT tool you use have an influence on getting response from LSPs?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »