Mareike Weyermann
Mareike Weyermann
Germany
Local time: 17:08
English to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2022

Good morning,

I have just started working as a freelance translator in Germany and one of my customers is located in California. I tried to find out about tax regulations when working with US-based customers but could not find any help. Not even the chamber of commerce or my tax consultant could help me.
Does anyone of you know if there's anything like the reverse charge procedure applicable between the US and EU? Or is it e.g. double taxation? Do I have to register for tax pu
... See more
Good morning,

I have just started working as a freelance translator in Germany and one of my customers is located in California. I tried to find out about tax regulations when working with US-based customers but could not find any help. Not even the chamber of commerce or my tax consultant could help me.
Does anyone of you know if there's anything like the reverse charge procedure applicable between the US and EU? Or is it e.g. double taxation? Do I have to register for tax purposes in the US even with a monthly profit of only a few hundred dollars from that customer?
Thank you in advance for your help
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:08
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
W8-BEN Mar 15, 2022

You may have to provide your client with a signed W8-BEN form, available at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf

This simply declares to them that you are not a US person for tax purposes so they are not required to withhold any funds from you for tax purposes.

Jorge Payan
Kevin Fulton

petrak3
petrak3  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:08
English to Czech
+ ...
Same topic here Mar 15, 2022

I asked the same question here as well - https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_us/354824-sales_tax_on_translations.html

I believe you are only required to pay the income tax in your country.

Jorge Payan

Steve Robbie
Steve Robbie
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:08
Member (2017)
German to English
+ ...
No VAT Mar 16, 2022

You don't charge VAT / Umsatzsteuer on exports outside the EU (the VAT rate is 0%), so there is no reverse charge procedure.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Working with customers in the US - California tax laws

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »